iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Possible Issue w/Eclassic 2400

Started by ParadisePA, March 29, 2012, 08:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ParadisePA

I'm in my fourth week as a new owner of the 2400.  First, I absolutely love it (I've been a conventional OWB operator for four years...this thing is fantastic by comparison).

But, just wanted to let users know of something that ocurred with mine in its second week, in case you have similar symptoms.

First, my settings are:  High temp=185
Temp differential= 6
Pulse timing is 60 second burn every 9 minutes
No gas ignition installed.
I burn kiln dried red and white oak (I get the butt ends of untreated railroad ties from a local tie plant)

I'm in PA, but the weather has been unseasonably warm.  During the first week of operation, when the water temp would drop to the bottom limit, the water heated back to 185 in less than 10 minutes.  My chamber burn temps are fine (anywhere from 700-1100).

During the second week of operation, I just happened to be at the burner one afternoon when this happened:  the water temp had somehow dropped to 174 (it was about 70 degrees outside), which was a little low, I thought.  The fan was running, as it should have been, and the reaction chamber was in the 300 degree range and climbing (so I know I had a decent burn).  Suddenly, the control panel flashed "HI" for a second, the fan shut off for about 5 seconds, then came back on.  It ran for about 30 seconds, then repeated the "HI", shut off, turn back on, three times (remember, the water temp was indicating 174, so the "HI" temp shutoff should not have activated).

It never did the "HI" shutoff routine again (at least, not that I witnessed), but from then on for the next week or so, though the furnace appeared to operate normally, it seemed to take forever for the water temp to recover when it dropped down to the lower limit.  Again, in the first week, with 60-70 degree air temps, it would recover in 10 minutes or less.  After this event, it would take 40-50 minutes in similar air temps.

I called my dealer finally, and he researched and said CB knew of one other case with identical symptoms, and it turned out to be the controller.  I had a new controller installed (no cost at all to me, under warranty) today, and it is working as well as it did the first week.

I think I kind of got lucky having witnessed the "HI" temp shutoff routine.  Chances are, if it happens again, most of us wouldn't be so lucky to be in the right place at the right time.  So, if you ever notice that your 2400 is dropping down to cooler temps than it had the week before for no apparent reason, and takes a longer time to recover, this could be your problem.

Dean186

Welcome to the forum ParadisePA and thanks for the informative post.

Dean

doctorb

I was speaking to my dealer the other day, and he mentioned that the a few of the controllers were "wiggin out" on some owners of new units.  He said a couple that he had installer required replacing, and that the new controllers worked fine.  He was unsure of the exact malfunction.  Sounds like you wer in that group ParadisePa.  Welcome to the Forum.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Mighty fine part of PA you live. Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sam-tip

I wonder if this is how I had back drafts that blew my rain cap off.  Its happen twice when I wasn't home.  On calm days.   

When was your unit made.   My boiler was made in May 2011.  E-3200.

Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

boilerman101

Do you have just a rain cap on it or does it have a mesh screen in it. If you have the screen, maybe it is partially plugged up blocking air flow out?

sam-tip

I had the rain cap with mesh screen till mid Jan.  The rest of the season was with open stack.  Hard to get a lift in Jan to put the cap back on.   Need the screen to keep birds out.  Every fall with my corn furnace I would have the stack block with dead birds.  No screen.  Don't know if I will put the cap on next season.  Took the stack down and capped it for the summer.
Central Boiler E3200 WiFi
Many many ported chainsaws. 201 to 3120
TM log splitter pro30 6 way head
D&L 1020 swing blade sawmill for slabbing
Timberking 1220

ParadisePA

Ken01

I also have seen this same HI condition happen for no reason.  CB-E2400 manufactured in March 2011.   It will be burning along normally, goes HI-shuts off for 4-8 seconds, then kicks back on and keeps going.  I found that if I power it completely down weekly (with the switch at the power junction box) this resets the controller and it does not do the HI (that I know of).   

Mine also has a temperature probe issue.  Digital read out says water temp is 185 degrees but my inline thermometers read 170.   I take water out of the water level check and put a meat thermometer in it and it reads 170.   I am working with dealer and CB for a replacement water temp probe and controller while shut down this summer.

Thank You Sponsors!