iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna cordless saw

Started by petefrom bearswamp, March 29, 2024, 08:04:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Bought one of these about a month ago to have on my RTV while riding around my son's woods for trail clearing etc.
Saw cost north of 500 bucks with battery and charger, I thought not a bad price.
The saw works great, lots of power, used it quite a bit and still have 3/4 battery left.
I plan to take it to the Adirondacks at my camp for limited use there too.
Thought a spare battery might be a good idea.
Holy Moses, cheapest I found was $309.00.
Maybe I should have stayed with my smaller ICE saw.
It will take me about 20 years to burn up 300 bucks worth of gas at the rate I use a small saw.
BTW the battery that came with it is made in Poland
Live and learn.

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

lxskllr

I'm not sure economics are the driving reason to go electric. Noise, fumes, and easy starts are more interesting imo.

DHansen

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Ron Scott

~Ron

Spike60

I have a T540i. Saw is from Sweden, battery from Poland, charger from China. Small saw for small jobs. It's a handy little thing to have around for sure. Certainly not going to fill the woodshed with it, but I have filled the cart behind the quad a few times with pole wood. Have never explored how far up the "saw ladder" it could climb by cutting wood that was clearly better suited to a larger saw. But in its comfort zone it does pretty good. Despite how many saws I've made louder by gutting the muffler, there are times when I don't want to hear one at all. Early in the morning for instance. So, for several reasons, it is unique and fills a niche that none of my other saws do. 
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Has anyone here used both the 350 power axe and the 540i xp to compare differences in the two?  What each saw is better suited for?  Length of recharge time?  

livemusic

Quote from: DHansen on April 08, 2024, 12:06:56 PMHas anyone here used both the 350 power axe and the 540i xp to compare differences in the two?  What each saw is better suited for?  Length of recharge time? 
I have a 540iXP and complained about it stopping in the cut of a hardwood too often, like, something is wrong! Over the past three years since I bought it, I finally found proof that I am not crazy. It is due to the clutch cover not passing chips fast enough. Husky has now come out with the 542 and the clutch cover has a larger opening, supposedly, solving this issue. Somebody else with the same problem as me figured out that the 542 clutch cover fits the 540, so, I will buy one and drop it in. IMO, Husky should provide me a free one!

Also, I have read posts by a guy who owns both the 350 and the 540 and he likes the 350 just fine and sure likes the lower price. I don't think he noticed much difference. Hopefully, my higher priced 540 is superior in the longevity department. There might be other advantages of the 540, I don't recall.

Regarding recharge time... another poster online seemed to know what he's talking about regarding charging and he said the expensive charger I got with the 540 is actually not good for battery longevity. I bought two extra, large capacity batteries and those suckers are expensive. He said the fancy QC500 charger (also expensive) with the fan charges too fast and will reduce battery life and said to buy the QC80. I did just that and used it last night for the first time, worked fine. Of course, the QC80 takes much longer to charge but I am ok with that. I will probably keep the QC500; there might be times I need a fast charge.
~~~
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!