iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling Pine with waves like the ocean.

Started by RacinRex, November 01, 2004, 06:35:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ladylake

Rex   Sound like your blades might be getting gummed up if they are cutting waves that fast. Use lots of lube, I just use water and soap. As mentioned befor more set helps.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

FeltzE

I use a short handled round point shovel for debarking, take a chain saw file and sharpen the edge and put a 8 or 10 serrations in the edge near the point.

I often struggle with pine that has been cut and down too long, salvaged pine that is hard as rock, the posts above are all on target, the things that work best for me are :

- a larger set, much larger than the books call for, leaving alot of sawdust loose in the cut,
 - keep a sharp blade on the mill, change blades often!
 - slow the feed rate, much below the advertised capacities. As noted earlier, knotty pine with large dry knots is MUCH more difficult than saw grade hardwoods where you can push the mill to dragging the engine still cutting straight.
 - After the opening cut, roll the log to position the open face to present the open clean wood to the blade entry side. This requires rolling the log backwards on a WM or all the way around a 3/4 roll, Baker the blade comes in from the back so it's built to do that naturally. This will keep your blade sharper longer.

Eric

arj

I use Woodmizer .045  9degree blades they work much better also work well on hickory
                                           arj

Thank You Sponsors!