iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member looking to purchase saw

Started by tiogajoe, February 23, 2019, 08:19:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiogajoe

Hi everyone. New guy from North Central Pa.  I'm looking to buy a saw as I live in a very wooded area that has lots of access to logs.  Mainly ash, hemlock, White pine etc.  I became interested in purchasing a s saw after the power company cleared the road of nice red pines.  I kills me to see them laying on the ground going to waste.  A lot are very straight and nice size in diameter.  I have permission to take them as most everyone does not want them.  I'm retired and having worked in the home building field.  I worked full time as a fire fighter and on my days off I was a carpenter on the side.  My Wife and I moved to Tioga County 4 years ago. we have a little over 11 ac. that I built and home and several out buildings mostly out of Rough sawn Hemlock.  I found a used Woodland Mills HM126 with an extra bed and went to look at it.  The saw head was not well cared for and the owner had the carb off because it would not run.  It looked like they sprayed a whole can of starter fluid trying to start it.  I was not impressed as he wanted $2500 and a lot was wrong that I could tell with my limited knowledge of sawmills.  My budget is about 4k for a used mill...If I could find one as they seem few and far between around these parts.  This has led me to look at new entry saws.  The two that I really like are the Ez boardwalk Jr and the Norwood LM29. Both are at the top of my budget..$5400 to my door. Both are powered by  a Honda 13hp and the two saws are within $100 of each other.  I'm very impressed with the EZ Jr. and have talk with Mr Stanton several times.  I like the fact that the bed is one piece.  I could pick it up with my tractor and put it on my trailer if I wanted to move it?  I also spoke with the folks at Norwood and they were very helpful. I'm only looking to saw for myself and some neighbors. I already have people asking to cut stuff and I don't even have a saw.  I'd like to earn a little $$ to help pay for the saw?The Woodland Mill seem like very nice saws but it's not a lot more money to get a heavier built saw.  I'm kinda hung up on over built stuff and tend to over build everything I do anyhow? What do you guys think?  BTW, the Norwoods go on sale this week but I really am impressed with the EZ Jr.

47sawdust

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Ga Mtn Man

I'd go with the EZ for the blade guides alone. 
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

Woodpecker52

Almost bought a EZ jr. before I settled on Woodmizer Lt15.  I bought the lt15 start because the dealer was closer and I liked the engineering tolerances on the WM and the company stability and backup.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

tiogajoe

I also looked at the LT15 start. It would run about another 1k till I got it to my place. I'd like to hear how the saw head adjusts for depth on the ez?  I priced one with the adjustable legs. Quoted $4850 and $500 for shipping. The lm29 is $5295 with the honda engine and $209 for shipping. Norwood is having a sale starting Monday. Can anyone comment on the reliability of the ez? They seem pretty bulletproof?

redbeard

The EZ mill will give you the best resale. Heavy duty simple too work on and it's the easiest too push.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Bruno of NH

Go EZ Jr if you can't swing the Woodmizer
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

ladylake

Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tiogajoe

Can anyone comment on how the sawing depth is adjusted on the ez jr?  Can you lock it in place?  Are the adjustable feet worth having?  I plan on setting the saw on 6x6 treated posts?  

47sawdust

I think you could forego the adjustable feet if it is going to be set up stationary.You will want the bed at a comfortable working height,roughly knee height.Build a stout frame that is well braced with absolutely no twist as that would transfer to the mill bed and cause a lot of grief.On my previous mill I built the frame using a laser.
Happy shopping and welcome to the Forum.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

cgchuck

I live just north of you and lindley New York
I would love to have company at my sawmill if you have a chance to come up . Mine is manufactured by woodmaxx in Darien center New York . I am very happy with it . Handles 16 foot long logs by 26 in in diameter with a 14 horsepower Kohler.

Downstream

I have had my ezjr for over 2 years now and it has worked very well.  I was in a similar position as you are and was up against the same cash limits.  If your budget is a hard limit then I would not hesitate buying the ezjr.  It will perform very well.  There is one big difference in the market between now and when I bought mine that may have changed my mind if I could come with the extra $$.  The LT15start model did not exist yet.  You had to choose between the LT10 or jump to full LT15 and its much bigger price.  Back then it was a no brainer since the ezjr blew away the LT10 in every feature for similar money.  Still true today in my opinion.  I think Woodmizer came up with the LT15start specifically to go after ez in the marketplace.  It has a couple of advantages that may rationalize it's added price level if you want to spend more.

Here is the summary.  If you have a hard budget limit around 4k-5k get the ezjr and you will not be sorry.  It will work very well and it is simple in design and use.  If I had a little bit more $$ available I would seriously consider the LT15start.  It appears to have an additional 2inches of max cut width along with an extra hp on the motor.  Also as described below the 15start has a detent stop system for depth adjust vs scale eyesight on the ezjr.  I have never used an LT style so cannot confirm whether it actually is more consistent or not.

The cut depth adjust on the ez works well.  there is a spring loaded hand brake that you hold and crank the unit to your cut thickness and then release handle it holds in place.  I have not noticed it ever slipping during sawing.  It does not have detent stops like on 15start so you have to watch indicator line to drop it desired depth.  

I can confirm the rigid welded frame on the ezjr.  I pick the entire unit up with my pallet jack and move it around my paved driveway with ease and no negative effects.  I have a photo in my gallery showing one of my moves I think.  You can also use the lifting lug to pick up with a strap/chain.  That's how Stanton loaded it on my trailer at his shop.  I would forego the adjustable stands and get the log turner instead.  Even with my 60"logrite turning a big log by hand is not fun.

Here is the final good news.  You probably can't go wrong with either EZjr(direct experience) or LT15start (specs/brand).  Just depends on how much money you have to spend.  Let me know if you have any other questions about the ezjr.
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

tiogajoe

Going to talk more with Stanton this week.  I have a large trailer that I think I would be able to just lift the bed onto the trailer if I wanted to move it.  I believe the EZ trailer would not be legal in Pa. with the way it's set up.  Plus they need a title to get a plate to be road legal. 

TKehl

EZ Boardwalk comes basically assembled.

Norwood comes as boxes of parts to bolt together.

Both good saws.  Personally, I have an EZ on my wishlist.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

mmprestine

I am in a similar boat.  I was considering building and 3d modeled up some plans and costed out the materials and it will be about $1500 for all.  I am considering a frontier OS27 or OS31 as the price is about the best in the entry budget mills and they have norwood behind them.  It may sound crazy to some but $1000-1500 difference is a big step for some.  Anyway post back with what you decide as most seem to post here and then decide never to come back is what my research shows.

tiogajoe

Quote from: mmprestine on February 25, 2019, 10:05:54 AM
I am in a similar boat.  I was considering building and 3d modeled up some plans and costed out the materials and it will be about $1500 for all.  I am considering a frontier OS27 or OS31 as the price is about the best in the entry budget mills and they have norwood behind them.  It may sound crazy to some but $1000-1500 difference is a big step for some.  Anyway post back with what you decide as most seem to post here and then decide never to come back is what my research shows.
I spoke with Stanton this morning and told him I will be going with the Jr.  I have to wait till we return from a vacation down south to order it sometime in last week of March.  He was fine with that. I also wouldn't want it right now as the weather here doesn't start behaving till April anyhow. I get the money part.  I'm really going way over what I planned to spend.  I feel I could have no problems earning $2500 on the side with stuff folks want right here on the mountain. I looked at a used woodland mills 126 and would have had  2k plus in it with taking it apart and getting it home. I love the fact that the EZ has a solid one piece bed.  That alone should make set up a breeze.  I think Stanton said the whole mill weight was around 1200lbs.?  I'm think the off shore made mills are fine and would more than do what I would want to do but I'm also looking at resale?  If things don't work out or I would want to upgrade I believe the EZ mill would be no problem to move.

Bruno of NH

I think the resale of the EZ Jr would be much better. With the Honda power.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

YellowHammer

When I looked at Norwoods, they were bolt together.  That may have changed.  Anyway, I would look to see which has the sturdier frame, the most welds, and the most strength.  Among all the other things, a mill will only cut as straight as the bed.  I'd look for steel, steel, and more steel.  That being said, I had an LT15 and loved it.   

If an EZ has a one piece bed that can be lifted without support, that is a big plus in my opinion.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Downstream

This photo gives everyone an idea of the strength of the ezjr sawmill frame.   I can easily move it around on my paved driveway by hand with my HF pallet jack.  I place it on three 4x6's and shim to level and I'm off to the races.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

tiogajoe

Yikes...Still pretty much want to go with the EZ Jr.  Norwood got back to me today with a quote for the LM29 with a 4' extension, auto lube and an extra set of log dogs and log rest. This saw has the 14 hp Kohler. Came in at $5445 to my door. Kinda hard not to consider it??  The solid bed on the EZ seems like it would stand up to more abuse.  The cutting adjustment on the Ez seems to be more involved.  I can't do anything till we come back from vacation.  I don't want a saw sitting in our drive.  Have to admit I'm in the air on what to do?

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT15 start at $5295 dang good sturdy Mill, easy to run, well built, can handle large logs, steel frame, company well established and service and parts important.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

YellowHammer

I had an LT15.  It's was a very good mill.  

I'm sure the others are as well.  You won't go wrong getting any of them, will all work and perform well.

From what you said, I would start to consider the ones that you could easily move out of your drive way when you are not using them.

YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

starmac

Not to mention, excellant resale value.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

YellowHammer

Good point, when I sold my LT15, I got more than I expected, and it sold within the first 24 hours of advertising.  I still had it on my flatbed trailer where I had taken it to a car wash to get pressure washed.  I said for a few bucks more I'd deliver it, as it was still in my trailer.  :D
YellowHammerisms:

OHBucknut

I just bought a Frontier OS31. I know it's a budget mill but I liked the features from Norwood. It literally just got delivered so I have no idea how well I'll like it

Woodpecker52

Thing is if you do not like it someone else will.

tiogajoe

I would really like to have a "chat" with someone that owns a EZ JR. before I place my order?

Woodpecker52

Check out the Woodmizer LT 15 on ebay with 5 hours on it in VA.  Two days left on auction and price now is in $5,300 range right now if it stays at this price it will be a steal. Listed as woodmizer sawmill.

tiogajoe

Going to place a deposit on a EZ Jr. this coming week.  Thank you to everyone that listened to my rambling.  A shout out to Justallan for a great phone conversation about his Mill.  I should have the Mill sometime in April. Hope the snow is off by then!

timbur

Good choice , You're going to like the EZ Boardwalk JR , that was my first saw , and I still miss it 2 yrs later 

tiogajoe

I plan on keeping my mill outside at least the first year.  I can move it in two pieces into my tractor shed in the dead of winter.  Does anyone spray their mills with any kind of rust protection? I get my truck sprayed each fall with a Canadian product called Krown. It's available in spray cans and I'm thinking of giving my saw a lite coat while its' outside.  I'm going to make something to cover the sawhead as soon as possible.  Any suggestions?

Thank You Sponsors!