iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Recommended books on milling and tree ID

Started by jackganssle, February 19, 2010, 08:51:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackganssle

Folks,

Well, I've placed an order for an LT-15 and can't wait for its arrival. My wife keeps shaking her head in disbelief.

Can anyone recommend books on identifying trees, and on the process of sawmilling? I've read a lot about the latter here on this great site, but remain somewhat mystified about sawing for grade and all.

Thanks,
Jack
Woodmizer LT-15

LOGDOG

Hi Jack,

Welcome to the Forum. WoodMizer has a video series that is an introduction to sawing. You may want to check it out. You can just call up to WoodMizer and ask for it. They'll know what you're looking for.

LOGDOG

fishpharmer

Good question Jack, one I too have asked myself and some members of Forestry Forum.  I am no expert on whats available in the book department.  Yet there doesn't really seem to be any one fully comprehensive book about sawmilling and tree ID.  You will find that Forestry Forum is the single largest source of milling knowledge in the universe ;D  I would venture to say there is no milling situation or even tree ID that an FF member has not come across before.

That being said, glad to have you as a member to FF.  Stick around some and you will learn a lot, don't hesitate to ask or use the search button.  Might even make a few friends. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Jeff

There is no book anywhere that has as much information on milling as you can find right here on the Forestry Forum and its all right here at your finger tips.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

REGULAR GUY

beenthere

Best cant hook or peavey ever made.
It is the only game in town, bar none.

So good, they are being imitated with chinese knock-offs that "look-like" the real thing .
Click on sponsor Logrite on left column.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

Welcome to the forum, Jack. You will learn more by doing and reading on here and asking questions. The sawmill board has a ton of threads with pics. Find some one close to you and see if you can come watch and pull a few boards while your at it.

Congrats on the LT 15. I had one that I learned to saw on and it is a great machine. You will enjoy it.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

LOGDOG

I agree about the Forestry Forum being the best place to learn. Since he was here already though I figured he had that covered.  ;)

LOGDOG

RynSmith

Well, I'll weigh in on the tree i.d. book.  I see you're in MD and have been told that counts as the South (couldn't find the Confederate Flad smiley  ;D), so I would recommend Guide to Southern Trees by Harrar and Harrar.  It's pretty technical but very comprehensive.  No color pictures like you might expect (line drawings), but thorough descriptions of buds, twigs, bark, habit, habitat and, of course, leaves.  Apparently I'm not the only fan because Amazon has it listed for $225+ new!   :o   Pretty sure I didn't pay that as a poor college student in the 90's...  No worries though, used ones start from $1.57   ::)   ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Guide-Southern-Trees-Ellwood-Harrar/dp/0486209458/ref=cm_wl_create-landing

bandmiller2

Jack,a good way to learn trees is to have someone in your area point out and tell you which is which,tree guy, tree warden,or knowledgable farmer.Then you can see the tree, learn its local name and get a close look at the bark.Books are OK but getting up close to the real thing is better.Usally theirs just a handfull of trees in any area that are milled. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

POC

I know there is a HUGE amount of information here, held in the members.  But sometimes the problem, especially starting out, is not KNOWING what to ask.  Not knowing enough to ask an intelligent question.
I know enough to be dangerous  :D
So I'd also like to know the name of some books to check out.  I can figure out what kind of tree I got, usually.  Unless it is some "out of the way" tree.  I learned just by being in the woods with my dad.
So how 'bout them books lads!
Patrick
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

woodman58

Hey Guys, Here is a book I bought on the net. It is called Identifying Trees (An all-season guide to eastern North America) by Michael D. Williams. http://www.amazon.com/Identifying-Trees-All-Season-Eastern-America/dp/0811733602
It is full of info on each tree. It has full color pics of the what the full tree looks like, bark, leaves, fruit, what some trees look like in winter,and placement of branches.
i LOVE THE SMELL OF SAW DUST IN THE MORNING.
Timberking 2200

dutchman

Peterson Field Guides, Eastern Trees, is the book I started with.

Kansas

Arbor Day foundation has a very good pocket book for tree identification. They also have it online.

http://www.arborday.org/trees/whattree/

Tom

I used to by the Audubon society field Guide to North American Trees.  XXXXX region.

The x's represent the areas of the country that the book covers.  The species will overlap from book to book.

The pictures are pretty good and are on slick paper and the descriptions of the species can be found in the back.  I used to have them for all over the country and kept one for the Southeast in the truck and in the house..  I also bought them for wild flowers, butterflies, reptiles, fungi, etc.   They are good, pocket sized books.

There are more technical books available, but these are good.

POC

I agree with Tom, the Audobon books are pretty good.

That being said, generally, "What is it" books that have drawings, rather than
pictures are usually easier to use.  The artists usually highlight the distinguishing
features that can be missed in the photo of ONE subject (bird, tree, flower, whatever).

I'm still waiting on some books about SAWING   :'(

Patrick
And that's all I have to say about that,
Patrick

Thank You Sponsors!