iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

'65 4400 Ford diesel that's been rode hard and put up wet.

Started by whiskers, August 14, 2014, 01:08:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiskers

It has a 735 FEL and a 753 backhoe, runs ok but won't shut off. Steering wheel turns without resistance or affect upon the sector. Power steering cylinder leaks/pours. Many of the hydraulic hoses appear to be original and need replacing. The hoe cylinders need some TLC. Aside from these few minor issues it seems like a winner. It followed me home and knowing how the wife appreciates the finer things in life I hope to have it ready for her birthday,
Any been there done that comments will be helpful.

many irons in the fire.........

Hilltop366

If fixing the leaks on the power steering does not cure it it my be a bad piston seal, the fluid will flow through the cylinder instead of turning the wheel.

Your yard will never be the same!

giant splinter

Very dependable equipment in its time and still useful today ....... it may last through a couple more generations. I still run a couple Fords and they can put out some good work as well as last a long time. She will be very happy on her birthday ;D. Some of the  later ROPS canopies will fit that rig and might need to be fitted with a different seat on the backhoe end of things. Many of the parts are still available today. Have fun getting it all fixed up and keep us up to date on the progress.
roll with it

uplander

I used to borrow a small Case backhoe that wouldn't shut off. I learned the trick to it was to pull back on the throttle pedal to get it to shut down.

What did it take to get it to follow you home? Looks like a lot of life left in it.
Woodmizer lt40G28.  A kubota L4600 with loader and forks.
Various Stihl saws and not enough time to use them!
Finished my house finally. Completely sawn out on by band mill. It took me 7 years but was worth it. Hardest thing I have ever done.

Freedom6178

I bought a 67 case a few yrs ago, there was what looked like a choke on the dash that you pull to turn it off push it back in to run. This is a Diesel correct? the lever (that looked like a choke) turned off the fuel to the motor basically.. Try not to run the steering pump too long without fluid that might burn it up.  Looks like a Great find.. Good luck fixing her up.. ;)
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

sandhills

I just want to love it, hug it, squeeze it, and call it my very own!  ;D  That will be a fun project, don't know the cost but if you're happy what the heck!
If it is a diesel check out the linkage to the pump, might have to shorten it a bit for shut off.

whiskers

A friend's neighbor bought it in North Carolina at an estate sale several years ago. As he was returning the boom travel lock chain broke allowing the bucket to hit the road damaging the crowd cylinder. It's sat in a field since then with little more done to it than an occasional crank. His family has a wedding planned and the tractor needed to be moved, He'd lost interest in it and made me a good deal so it followed me home.
The steering shaft center bearing cage was sprung with ball bearings missing, got that back together finally then put a kit in the power steering cylinder so now its drivable. It's been here about a month, progress is slow due to this rotator cuff surgery I had back in June. The shut down problem is due to internal pump issues, the shut off linkage on the pump moves correctly but nothing changes. This is beyond my experience so I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks for the ideas, this is going to be a drawn out process due to my lack of hyraulic knowledge and resources. There's much more about this old tractor that I don't know than what little I do know. With a little luck some shop manuals might show up.

r.man

I have had very good luck with how to videos on the web, you need to winnow out the idiots sometimes but there are a lot of good answers and even demonstrations available for many things. You do need to word the question correctly however, which is sometimes tricky.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

ozarkgem

sounds like a pump rebuild may be in order. Or it could be something simple to. Does it start easy? Just replace the old hoses and be done with it. I have a few more to replace on my Case hoe. Hyd fluid is so expensive its pretty costly when you blow a hose. Plus I have a hose machine so the cost is about 1/3 over buying them in town. Post the wife's
reaction to her b-day present will you.LOL  Backhoes are kick ash machines!
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

redprospector

Quote from: ozarkgem on August 18, 2014, 09:11:02 PM
sounds like a pump rebuild may be in order. Or it could be something simple to. Does it start easy? Just replace the old hoses and be done with it. I have a few more to replace on my Case hoe. Hyd fluid is so expensive its pretty costly when you blow a hose. Plus I have a hose machine so the cost is about 1/3 over buying them in town. Post the wife's
reaction to her b-day present will you.LOL  Backhoes are kick ash machines!
I was going to recommend buying a used hose machine if all of the hoses need replacing. You'll pay for the hose machine, and have money left over by the time you're done.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

whiskers

This backhoe project began as a need for a loader for my 240 MF.This place loses 80' elevation so there's always need for erosion control and wheel barrowing just isn't my cup of tea.
Since the 4400 cost little more than it's scrap weight value and if I don't have to put much into it she won't object. However, there's five plus months 'til her b-day, by then I'll have figured out if it's a money pit and if not how to present the "gift" ;D.
Some quick answers,
It does start easily in this hot weather.
A pump rebuild may be in order but only after the hydraulic repairs, both being pricey items.
A hose machine would be nice, any recommendations?
How to web videos will likely play a big part when I have time to locate them.
Ozarkgem, that Case is a heck of a find, will it be a "daily driver"?
There's a fork lift ROPS out back that might be modified to fit, just need the time if it proves to be a keeper.
Found the hydraulic filter, what a mess. Drained and filtered the fluid, cleaned the filter and sump, the loader responds quicker now.   
Welded up a leak in the frame / reservoir, more fun than I expected. The shop vac helped a bit.
The steering seems ok now, turns freely and not leaking. It appears that Ford engineers omitted the parking brake, but then it is pre OSHA. 

m wood

Hey Whiskers.  I had a '63-'64 Fordson Super Major diesel a few years ago and the steering poured too.  Took it to a good-ol-boy machine/fluid drive shop with a dirt floor and he modified me some (otherwise impossible to find) seals and decent bushing ends.  He even tweaked an arm and realigned some stuff.  Best hundred bucks I ever put into that 'Old Brit'. :D  While I owned it, it (tom) was usually broken, and when it ran it was a pretty slow pump.  Good luck with your project there!
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

ozarkgem

I have seen some pretty good buys on hose machines on CL. I bought one years ago for 350.00 and it had a lot of fittings with it. Then my brother gave me an Eastman crimp-er. I really like it. No changing of dies on different hose sizes. Then I bought 2 machines on a government auction. They hold there value pretty well. If it starts good it may be a fix that doesn't require a complete build. Not sure what pump in on them but could be something simple as a plate to take off and replace a pin or something. Do some checking before committing to a rebuild.  My Case is a daily driver. I have lots of  work for it.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

whiskers

It has a Lucas CAV pump. Watched some how-to videos on youtube, the shut down linkage seems simple enough and appears to be within the upper portion of the pump. Found an upper gasket / seal kit for under twenty bucks on ebay so I  might have a look inside soon. Taking it apart won't be a problem, may have to ship it to Ozarkgem for reassembly.

whiskers

Had a go at the pump top end, found the shut off bar in four pieces. Didn't have any luck finding a replacement part on line so we welded it. No real problems getting it off or back on 'cept I didn't know about the timing marks till after it was off. It's running and shutting off again so it must be close to right, The video mechanic never mentioned timing, guess I was suppose to get that part by osmosis

Thank You Sponsors!