iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Useful sawmill mods

Started by Bibbyman, July 25, 2004, 08:27:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I added the drag back fingers that are on the LT70 to my 40 Wide head, After some light welding they work great! Make for a much better board return system instead of just using the drag back arm by itself. @YellowHammer 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2scpq8Vjo6I
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

The fenders on your trailer look much better than mine :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

jeepcj779

123maxbars,
 Now you will have to add the @Yellowhammer Dragback Shelf. Looks like a worthwhile mod. Do you think it would be less useful if you had the walk along instead of the command control console? Thanks for the video.

123maxbars

Quote from: jeepcj779 on February 11, 2020, 09:29:48 PM
123maxbars,
Now you will have to add the @Yellowhammer Dragback Shelf. Looks like a worthwhile mod. Do you think it would be less useful if you had the walk along instead of the command control console? Thanks for the video.
I think so, I would add it if i did not have the command control, 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

YellowHammer

It works best with the stationary console, and it's a five minute mod.  Simply weld a narrow plate across the bottom of the dragback arm and you'll have complete control of dragging back the board and putting it where you want it on the table.

The stock dragback drops the board as soon as it clears the cant.  You can see that in @123maxbars excellent video.  This mod keeps hold of the board and allows it to be carried all the way to the end of the travel of the head, so to drop the board on the end of the outfeed table.  It really does work for such as simple thing.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

flatrock58

Robert, Nathan, Do ya'll always us the dragback?  I often square up a cant and just cut to the deck, using the weight from the upper board to keep the lower boards from moving.  Then I raise the stack on the toe boards and move them with the tractor.
2001 LT40 Super Kubota 42
6' extension
resaw attachment
CBN Sharpener
Cooks Dual Tooth Setter
Solar Kiln

Southside

I can tell you I use mine all the time.  WM ships the 70 with a pin to hold the actual dragging fingers in the up position should you not want to use it.  I don't think I have ever put that pin back in.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

YellowHammer

I always use mine.  It allows me to inspect each board as it come sliding by me
Also, the goal is to not have to touch the board so I bring them all the way back and off the end of the dragback table directly onto the awaiting pallet.  It doesn't always work perfectly but especially with big slabs I try not to handle them but let the machine do the work. 
That's why I like the dragback mod so much. Big reward with little effort.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

terrifictimbersllc

Ideas for a cushion to put on the table for back end of slab falling more than about a foot.  Whacks the mill and can break a slab. Not my idea of an orderly sawing operation.  I suppose if one is bringing it back far enough so it is tipping off the front end of the table that could reduce the fall.

Boat Bumper
Boat seat cushion (throwable PFD)....probably would get torn up too quick
old sofa cushion....I think this would be pretty good
2" styrofoam (works but breaks up)
Sawmill spare tire (too heavy)
small tire no rim
some kind of 1-2" heavy rubber pad would be nice
large stuffed animal

And how to keep the fixed table from moving...
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Southside

Yup - the table could have a better system to hold it in place.  I have found that if I set it up so the end of the table is slightly elevated it helps to keep it from bouncing around.  Just a touch up, too much and you will bind the last board when bringing it back.  

I suppose an hour under there with my welder and I could come up with a latch to secure it, yet come off easily.  
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Pretty nasty when a too short board  falls down before it gets to the table  ::) ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

PAmizerman

Quote from: terrifictimbersllc on February 13, 2020, 11:19:46 AM
Ideas for a cushion to put on the table for back end of slab falling more than about a foot.  Whacks the mill and can break a slab. Not my idea of an orderly sawing operation.  I suppose if one is bringing it back far enough so it is tipping off the front end of the table that could reduce the fall.

Boat Bumper
Boat seat cushion (throwable PFD)....probably would get torn up too quick
old sofa cushion....I think this would be pretty good
2" styrofoam (works but breaks up)
Sawmill spare tire (too heavy)
small tire no rim
some kind of 1-2" heavy rubber pad would be nice
large stuffed animal

And how to keep the fixed table from moving...
I was thinking about this the other day. I was thinking some sort of roller setting on heavy springs that would absorb the impact
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

Kwill

Quote from: caveman on July 13, 2019, 09:31:09 PM
When sawing live oak or heart longleaf pine we have found diesel fuel to perform best as a blade lube.  When sawing other logs we will use PineSol, laundry soap, cotton picker spindle lube or antifreeze.  We were putting diesel in the lube tank when needed and then someone would need something sawn that did not require diesel and then the lube tank had to be emptied and refilled with something else.

Anyway, I had an OMC VRO tank lying around for decades since removing it from my boat.  I would prefer to mix the oil rather than rely on it.  It fit well on top of the mill's diesel tank and plumbed in easily to the lube line.  It does need a little finer adjustment than it currently has but today it worked well.  Even when sawing other species,

using diesel on the last cut or two will ensure the blade is clean and will not easily rust.

The brass fittings were some I had saved after redoing the fuel supply on a 1979 Dusky center console that we used to have.
Where would one pick up.some.of this cotton picker spindle lube😆
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

doc henderson

if your farm store does not carry it (in cotton country, spreading north)  i got 5 gallons for just barely more than the price of 1 gallon on amazon.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Quote from: Kwill on February 13, 2020, 08:34:52 PMWhere would one pick up.some.of this cotton picker spindle lube
Here is one source:  LINK  I believe that there is a $9.00 flat rate shipping and you must order multiples of 4 gallons so 4 gallons + shipping would be $28.60.  8 gallons would be $48.20.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

jeepcj779

Just to verify, this is cotton picker spindle cleaner. I think the lube is like grease - someone on the forum mentioned they bought some once and it did not mix with water, but the cleaner is an emulsion that mixes with water. The "Lube and detergent" MM linked to is the correct stuff, but I guess the labeling can be misleading. Long story short, make sure it is the stuff that mixes with water.

YellowHammer

The drag back shelf holds the rear end of the slab up so that it doesn't slam on the table, and the front end levers off cant to the table as it's pulled back.  If then slab is pulled all the way back then it doesn't slam, it slides off the drag back shelf, rolls off the dragback table roller, and slams onto the pallet. I'll even drop or raise the head while dragging back, which controls the boards as they are being returned.  It's done with the anywhere hydraulics on the 70 or the mods on the 40.  It the video I have posted, you can see me raise the rear toe board so the dog boards is rolled on it instead of being dragged across the bed.  On the 70, I have raised that last dead roller a tad, higher than the kill deck, so when I'm pulling back dog boards, they are rolled over that last roller.

Sometimes I do inadvertently drop a big slab, and boom.  

My 70 table clips to the mill to keep it from walking.  Doesn't yours have the same feature?

I adjust my table rear end high so that I can drag more boards onto the pallet.  I also welded a tail roller to my table so the boards roll off on the pallet.

YellowHammerisms:

YellowHammer

This is the stuff I usually use.  Notice on the bucket it says,
 "The oil that will not burn."
YellowHammerisms:

Southside

It looks like you squashed a bunny with one of those slabs on your outfeed table!!  :D Happy Birthday too!!  
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 13, 2020, 11:29:31 PMMy 70 table clips to the mill to keep it from walking.  Doesn't yours have the same feature?
I would expect it is the same as yours.  

For those not familiar with the 70, the 5' table when sawmill is set up, clips to the front of a smaller table that is fastened to the frame with all-thread rod and brackets.  This smaller table and its "fastening" will move incrementally because of the heavy forces of slabs falling on it and the larger table.  Moves more if you inadvertently whack it with the front end of a board.

It is not hard to re-adjust the smaller fixed table, and it is necessary to do so periodically, to keep the tables,in their travel position, from encroaching on the front outrigger adjustment nut. And to keep the two tables parallel with the length of the sawmill-they tend to cock sideways a little as they move.

I wish these didn't move, but maybe it is necessary that they do so to avoid damage. Also, the front fixed table really needs to be kept in vertical adjustment as if it were a bed rail, to accurately saw long timbers that reach it and respond to stresses in cant sawing.

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Southside on February 14, 2020, 12:11:16 AMIt looks like you squashed a bunny with one of those slabs on your outfeed table!! 
Can add roadkill to the  list of possible cushions above. 

Bandmill Bandit

Quote from: YellowHammer on February 12, 2020, 07:35:57 AM
It works best with the stationary console, and it's a five minute mod.  Simply weld a narrow plate across the bottom of the dragback arm and you'll have complete control of dragging back the board and putting it where you want it on the table.

The stock dragback drops the board as soon as it clears the cant.  You can see that in @123maxbars excellent video.  This mod keeps hold of the board and allows it to be carried all the way to the end of the travel of the head, so to drop the board on the end of the outfeed table.  It really does work for such as simple thing.

I don't know who first posted about this mod but it is one of the best mods for the arm type board return. I did a bit of a mod to the original mod and I like it even better now.

You can see in this pic the original 1" by 1/4" flat bar that I added and in the second pic you can see the triangle shaped piece added to make the shelf very reliable and positive for the job it does.  It is quite a bit wider and the edge is parallel with the cant instead of angled.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

YellowHammer

I came up with this mod a long time ago in January 2013, post 737.  
YellowHammerisms:

YellowHammer

Quote from: Southside on February 14, 2020, 12:11:16 AM
It looks like you squashed a bunny with one of those slabs on your outfeed table!!  :D Happy Birthday too!!  
It was a chicken.
Here's a recreation video.
HHA Sawing Live Edge - YouTube
YellowHammerisms:

Southside

You have a funny definition of live edge there.... ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!