iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Typical timber/acre value

Started by croyer, January 05, 2020, 08:32:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croyer

Hi All,

I have an opportunity to purchase a couple hundred acres of forest land in Maine for around $300/acre. From the current use tax info it is about 40%hw, 40%mw, 20%sw. It can't be subdivided or developed and it was harvested some time around 2007ish so there is no short term way to get money out of it.

My plan is to use the land for recreation and hunting and then harvest in 20yrs or so.

I'm trying to get a rough idea (like worst case / best case) of what I might expect to get back per acre when it comes time to harvest. For now let's assume today's prices. Any thoughts?

I appreciate any comments or advice.

Thanks

Southside

Welcome to the Forum.  What part of Maine?  Values can differ by a tremendous amount between southern Maine and The County.  It really depends on what was left behind in 2007 as to what will be harvestable 20 years from now.  Black Spruce in The County is really on a 70 year rotation for example.  $250 / acre stumpage paid to the land owner has been a typical value for far too long now, so if you are paying $300 for the land it may be a secure deal.  Not going to get rich over it, but most likely won't loose money on it either.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

thecfarm

$300 is a good deal, unless it's all wet.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

croyer

Thanks for the input. Property is in western Maine. 

BradMarks

$300/acre will buy you sagebrush in Eastern Oregon out here. 

terry f

Tough finding anything in Eastern Oregon, even sagebrush😊 for that, and water would be out of the question

samandothers

Land seems to be a lot more than I would expect in our area of Va.  I have not seen that price on any near by!

BradMarks

@$300 of course no water. And yes, sagebrush is listed for $500+/acre, but it aint selling. 300 might get it!  Decent deals on land with trees in K.Falls area is $1000-3000/acre, depending on size. I bought 10 nicely timbered acres for 15K couple years ago. I have a friend right now with 150 acres asking $800/ for example (Admin: not an ad). Trees grow slow in Eastern Oregon.

Southside

Just curious what town that land is near?  About 8 years ago dry land over in Lake County was listed for $2,000 - $4,000 / acre on large tracts (500+acres) way over what it was really worth or could ever pay back.  I offered $1K / acre on a ranch and the guy was so mad he would not make a counter offer, about a year later it was listed for what I had offered.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BradMarks

Mine is remote Klamath Co..  Friends is Klamath Co. near Sprague.  I have another friend selling(was?) land in Lake Co, 40 acres, logged, residual trees and reprod under $800/ac. There is a lot of land for sale out there but not selling at the higher prices.

cutterboy

Back to Maine: I don't think you can go wrong at $300 an acre. However, it's really impossible to tell what the land will be worth in 20 years or what the trees will be worth then. I don't think the taxes would be very high in back country Maine. You could probably produce a lot of firewood while managing the forest for better timber trees.
    Of course you'd have all those woods to enjoy for hunting and for a place of solitude.

Best of luck.....Cutter
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

terry f

Brad, your East and my East, are three hundred miles apart😊 you got a good price on yours. I'm finding the northeastern part of the state is high, compared to wages. People buying ranches made their money somewhere else, not paying for it ranching 

1countryboy

Wish everyone would fill out that profile (sure would help to give idea for an appropriate response).   Huge variance depending on the geographic locations.   

Example.   Wayne county, Ohio.  A property just sold.  10 acres on on side of a county road.  Barn so so and old, no use, but historic, (money pit).  Needs fixing.   House not livable.   House trailer that needs to be buried.   But, a building spot on high side overlooking a pond (for pigs) :D.  $11,000/acre =$110,000.  Across that road parcel 2 approx. 60 acres with 20 acres of GOOD woodland.   Other 40 is farmable but steep and gullies.  Amish bought it for $6000/ ac = $360,000 and will clear cut the timber.  Rent the farmland and then lot it for houses. 

Good woodland conservation, TSI (timber stand improvement), a local forester,  good advice, and if you are young enough to wait.  You have excellent place to hunt, camp, enjoy the fruits of your labor.  If u do build or cut firewood will be a LOT to clean up.  Watch and measure the tree growth.  Lots of rich enjoyment.  Great place to teach your kids about mother nature and conservation.  How do u measure Rich!!!!
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

petefrom bearswamp

Wooded land with decent timber here (central NY)sells for 1-2,000 per acre
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

1countryboy

Saw your post of the pix of your foot.   Ouch.   What is the story about those stitches?
Ohio Certified Tree Farm, Ohio Centennial Farms, Ashland County Soil Conservation Award., USDA/ASCS/FSA forest management(TSI) 1963 to present, retired educator, NOT retired farmer and a real farm shop to fix all my old equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!