iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SMOKING TROUT

Started by dundee, November 09, 2005, 08:18:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dundee

Hi everyone, I have a question:
Have any of you guys/ gals ever used White Oak sawdust to smoke fish, my mate at Williamsport Penn, I asked him, but he knows ZIP, only vac kilns

Best to all

Richard
New Zealand

Den Socling

Good! I finally got dundee to post instead of asking me. When he asked me this morning if it was OK to smoke trout with white oak sawdust, I thought to myself "where do people eat sawdust and talk about smoking fish?".  :D

Den Socling

and I'm NOT his mate!!! That's 'down-under' talk.  ::)

Furby

Oh, sensitive aren't ya! :D :D
We get the idea Den, don't worry! ;)
If Dundee hadn't put New Zealand in his post, we WOULD be wondering. :D

Radar67

I've smoked bass and red fish over red oak and hickory before. Turned out pretty good. Not sure about sawdust though. It's usually hard to keep sawdust burning.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

dundee

Quote from: Radar67 on November 09, 2005, 08:40:20 PM
I've smoked bass and red fish over red oak and hickory before. Turned out pretty good. Not sure about sawdust though. It's usually hard to keep sawdust burning.

Thanks Radar, yes, I have been using sawdust for years, my smoker is simple, with 2 round lids to hold the meth / spirits, it takes between 20 to 25 mins to have a perfect smoked fish, I saw some of the gear on this thread, wow--talk about rocket science. But, I am keen to try this white oak of yours, but do not really wish to poisen my wife  (LOL  :D  :D

dundee

Quote from: Furby on November 09, 2005, 08:32:43 PM
Oh, sensitive aren't ya! :D :D
We get the idea Den, don't worry! ;)
If Dundee hadn't put New Zealand in his post, we WOULD be wondering. :D

For those up your way Furby, we call our friends mates (mate)---but I see your point---I called call Den something else!!!!!!! :D

Furby

Trust me, I understand......... I think. :-X :D

Den Socling

oh no! Here we go again. When he first started telling me about smoking and meth, I thought drugs? It's methanol. A word for fuel.

Here's a picture of Richard with a couple of his trout.

Not the little nuggets that you might expect.  :o They are big!

Quartlow

I tried to smoke fish one time, could keep em lit  :D :D :D
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Tom

Oak would smoke anything and taste good but it is rather strong and has a bite.  Fish usually taste better with the smoke from woods like Bay (red or laurel)   Mangrove, especially Black mangrove.   Lighter tastes would probably be gotten from Cherry, pecan, hickory and sweet gum.  These trees may not be available where you live but they possess a "sweet" flavor.

sawguy21

Quote from: Quartlow on November 09, 2005, 09:45:22 PM
Tried that once and had the same problem ;D I find too many people use a lot of brine to keep the fish from drying out but it is way too salty for my taste. The north coast natives smoke salmon on open racks with no salt and there is absolutely positively nothing better to eat.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

dundee

Quote from: Tom on November 09, 2005, 09:58:10 PM
Oak would smoke anything and taste good but it is rather strong and has a bite.  Fish usually taste better with the smoke from woods like Bay (red or laurel)   Mangrove, especially Black mangrove.   Lighter tastes would probably be gotten from Cherry, pecan, hickory and sweet gum.  These trees may not be available where you live but they possess a "sweet" flavor.

Thanks Tom, we have none of the lumber species you refer to, I use a native shrub called MANUKA otherwise known as TI TREE"   (TI TREE oil)I will see our local village furniture maker and ask to segregate the white oak sawdust and give it a go

Regards
Richard

dundee

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 09, 2005, 10:09:27 PM
Quote from: Quartlow on November 09, 2005, 09:45:22 PM
Tried that once and had the same problem ;D I find too many people use a lot of brine to keep the fish from drying out but it is way too salty for my taste. The north coast natives smoke salmon on open racks with no salt and there is absolutely positively nothing better to eat.

Thanks Sawguy, soaked in brine!!!!! no, we prepare the fish to absorb a SPECIAL pure ("bits and pieces") over night, then I crank the smoker up before my 2x4 (wife) wakes up and have a snack for breakfast / lunch / dinner

I will be heading to our mountain lodge this weekend and will take a few pics, from woe to go and forward,

Take no notice of that fellow from Williamsport who thinks I use Meths as fuel to heat the sawdust, excuse me DEN, it's METHELATED SPIRITS, not METHS (as in a drug)-geeeezzzzzzzzzz

Regards and thanks
Richard

Furby

While those trees may not be advailable over there, they MUST have fruit and nut trees.
It don't have to be lumber trees.
Trim a little branch off a fruit tree and give it a go.
Bet you have some that would taste really awesome!

dundee

Quote from: Furby on November 09, 2005, 11:53:55 PM
While those trees may not be advailable over there, they MUST have fruit and nut trees.
It don't have to be lumber trees.
Trim a little branch off a fruit tree and give it a go.
Bet you have some that would taste really awesome!

Thanks Furby, I did think about apple / peach /apricot / pear tress which we do grow quite a lot--yep, I will lop a branch or two and let you know

Cheers
Richard

Max sawdust

Not sure if you have any Alder down in NZ if you do give it a try.  In my opinion it is the very best on trout or salmon
max
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

dundee

Quote from: Max sawdust on November 10, 2005, 07:38:30 AM
Not sure if you have any Alder down in NZ if you do give it a try.  In my opinion it is the very best on trout or salmon
max

Thanks Max---we do not grow Alder here in NZ, but I agree that smoked fish with Alder is good, I recall having smoked Salmon in Eugene

Cheers

Richard

Thank You Sponsors!