iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Weekend Catch - Speckled Trout

Started by VT_Forestry, July 05, 2011, 07:47:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VT_Forestry

Went out in the kayak on Saturday fishing for flounder...ended up with this guy instead  :)

26" 7.5lb speckled trout - I hooked into him and had no idea what I caught, it pulled me all over the place...I gotta admit I was pretty excited when I finally got him in the net!

Forester - Newport News Waterworks

blaze83

nice fish,  i bet he did pull you around for a while. did you filet him?
I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

VT_Forestry

Quote from: blaze83 on July 05, 2011, 08:47:12 AM
nice fish,  i bet he did pull you around for a while. did you filet him?

Yup, fileted him that very night and pan-fried in olive oil...girlfriend made some crab imperial with some blue crabs we'd caught and steamed the night before, threw that on top and had ourselves a feast.  I miss the mountains where I was born but the coast seems to be treating me ok  ;D

submarinesailor

VT,

Where did you get him...York or the James Rivers?

Caught several real nice founders just off the Yorktown/Gloucester bridge along with a bunch of craps.

Bruce

VT_Forestry

Quote from: submarinesailor on July 05, 2011, 10:00:13 AM
VT,

Where did you get him...York or the James Rivers?

Caught several real nice founders just off the Yorktown/Gloucester bridge along with a bunch of craps.

Bruce

Neither actually  :D  Launched out of Messick Point in Poquoson and caught him in Back River.  I live right off of Wormley Creek, so I'll typically put the kayak in there and fish a lot out in the York River...haven't really caught much out there other than a bunch of croakers, but the crabs are good :)

Raider Bill

I'm not much of a fisherman but did manage to catch these rainbows last Sat morning on kernel corn in the Tellico River

Pan fried with fresh eggs and homefries. DELISH!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

That's a nice one, lots of eat'n there. ;D

The story of hooking into that fish and being towed reminds me of a tale an old timer told me once about hooking into a 5 lb brook trout from a 2 man rubber raft in a shallow lake. He was with a younger fella that was in his rubber raft, said he got towed a little before getting the fish in the boat. I've fished the same lake and it's hidden and no roads to the shore. We always went up along a creek from a  lower lake, one time we followed a deer trail, but that's all changed now because it was cutover near by and most deer are long gone from there. Anyway, it has (had) some big brook trout that would come into the springs near shore in the summer for the cool water. And they would hide in the shadows of a floating moss island near shore. They were easy to scare, so mostly you might catch 3 or 4 and they would swim off somewhere. The largest one I got under that island was 18" long. A brook trout is quite thick through, not a slender fish unless they are small.

The North Pole river has some big trout in some deep pools, the river is catch and release and mostly reserved fishing for residence by lottery. It's a hard place to fish, a lot like work. :D It's also a remote area for access. I imagine the roads are in terrible shape in there now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ron Scott

~Ron

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

isawlogs

Nice fish VT, is the tail square and not V , Just asking because a brown trout would have a square tail once it gets to 20 inches or so, but smaller would have it in a V. I am pretty sure that speckle keep there tail in V shape. But I could be wrong bout that  ;) :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jasperfield

Wow! That's a really nice fish.

Maybe you'll smile for the camera next time.

SwampDonkey

Marcel, Atlantic Salmon have the fork to square tail as well when they go from grilse stage to adult. You can only keep grilse up to 24" (measured nose to fork tip), adults are released here in NB. Up here in NB our speckled trout and brook trout (Salvelinus fontinalis) are one in the same in the fishing regulations. Our trout are different than VT's. But some of them are called sea-run trout like Mr Bishop caught, they don't go out to sea, just in the bays near the river mouths. Same fish as a brook trout, but one gene different. Rainbow trout around these parts are escapees from fish ponds.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!