iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Raising Trout

Started by ckjohnson99, April 20, 2015, 01:13:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckjohnson99

I have a spring fed pond about 150 feet by 200 feet; mostly 15+ feet deep except for one side that goes to zero depth with a lot of cat tails. I have a head gate built into the side of the berm and use it to control water levels (and beavers). I've stocked brook trout fingerlings three times and they've done very, very well.

Unfortunately, the first winter was bad and they winter killed. I solved that problem with a wind mill pumping air to the bottom of the pond; works great! The next spring I restocked with 50 brook trout fingerlings again and they thrived, survived the winter and were close to 2 pounds and 16 inches long... until the otters found them. I'm pretty sure it was otters that got them because there were piles of scales on a few of the larger rocks on the shore.

The outflow from my pond travels about 3/4 mile then drops into a medium sized river. I've been told the otter will move up and down the river looking for small streams. They then travel up the small streams to find fish in beaver ponds then back to the river.

I'm looking for suggestions on keeping the otters at bay; or, if needed, terminating them (with or without extreme prejudice).
1973 TreeFarmer Log Skidder with Cable Winch, Cat D4C LGP, Bobcat 763H, Husqvarna 455

Amateurs built the Ark;
Professionals built the Titanic.

beenthere

In MN, otters are protected species. I suspect you already know that, but it may hamper your plans.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fishpharmer

I have seen some success deterring otters with electric fencing. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Ljohnsaw

I'd love to have a trout pond!

Maybe fool them a bit?  How much outflow do you have?  Could you run 100-200' of pipe taking the outflow from the pond farther down-creek?  Trench and bury the pipe, except at each end.  They might think that is it for the stream and go away.  Hopefully they didn't make a map to your place :D  You probably wouldn't need big enough pipe for maximum flow, just the average.  If there is enough drop (head), you could put in a fountain!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Den Socling

I like that idea. An otter road block.  :D

drobertson

I've heard a few stories like this one, and have heard how the otter's are protected, but still have a hard time dealing with the fact that these critters can devastate a fish population in any given hole pretty quick,  I would guess that live trapping would be an option, I might resort to other means if it were my pond, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

I've been doing some reading. The pipe won't work. The otters will smell the fish and head overland to get to them.
Also read that they don't normally eat trout. They go after catfish, bass, carp and other slow moving fish.

E fan

three S's come to mind......shoot,shovel,and shutup..... :P

Thank You Sponsors!