iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson or Lucas

Started by treebiker, February 14, 2006, 09:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WkndCutter

Treebiker,

Just to keep this alive.  How is your search for information going?  Did you decide on a mill yet.  I have been looking for a swingmill to add to my bandmill.  (I figure two mills are better than one.)  I'm still in the very beginning of this process so if you don't mind I'd like to know how you make out.  So far I'm leaning towards the Lucas Mill but as was stated previously I want to see each mill in action before making any decisions.

r/

Andy

jpgreen

Welcome to the forum Andy..  :)

I wish I had a swinger- either brand is awesome. I just need the extra cash to make it happen..  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Part_Timer

Andy

If you're anywhere near Indiana I have a 25hp 8" Peterson you could come over and run for an afternoon if ya wanted too

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

WkndCutter

Tom,

Thanks for the invite.  I pass through your area on my way to Wisconsin from time to time.  I may just take you up on it then.  I have a 28" band mill now and find that it does everything I need except every once in a while I get a real big log and a swing mill would take it apart better than the bandmill.  Most times I only cut boards to 8" so a swinger would be a great addition to the woodyard.  I cut 26" slabs of black walnut yesterday.  2" and 4" thick for tables and turners.  Sorry,  I'm off topic. ....

r/

Andy

scsmith42

Andy, I'm about 3-1/2 hours south of you in Raleigh, NC, and have a brand new Peterson 10" WPF that I need to break in.  Let me know if you'd like to stop by one weekend and we can figure out how to make some sawdust fly.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

swinger

Hey Andy and others,
I live in a town of 2500 people in rural Alaska. In this town there are
8 lucasmills 3 woodmizers 4 Md and 3 other bandmills. I have had my
lucas 827 for eight years and have no complaints. Baileys has always
been there for me in times of need or advice. 4600 hrs and lots and
lots of bd ft. I have customized my mill to double cut up to 2-1/2" thick
without spinning the powerhead. As soon as this engine(original 20hp)
gives up I'm going to do some more modifying to double cut full thickness.
I have never been around a Peterson but they look like a great machine
also. Just my 2 cents.                         

jpgreen

Welcome to the forum Swinger..  8)
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

solodan

We need pics of the modification.
Ya know, just standard procedure ;) ;D
Welcome to the Forum.  :)

treebiker

Hello Andy,  I'm still waiting for the right deal on the right mill.  I like the electric winch on the peterson WPF and the D & L swinger. So I guess it's down to these two mills.   I've waited this long so I guess I'll wait to see the D&L machine.  There are a few used Petersons out there for sale, but no good deals.

Treebiker
Sonny, can you make me dough bowl out of that log?  Yes sir, but your bowl will only turn out pine biscuits.

WkndCutter

Treebiker,

Great to hear.  I'm still paying off the mill I have so I have to wait a bit for a new or new to me swing mill.  The good news is I can use the flatbed I use for the band mill to trailer the swingmill.

Andy

Thank You Sponsors!