iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie needs advice

Started by Gabby, June 03, 2005, 08:45:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabby

First a short comment about this forum.  I have been visiting here for a little over a month and can't believe how helpful you are to each other. Too bad everything in the world wasn't like this!
My question- In about 3 weeks I'll be picking up a LumberMate 2000. (can't wait) Going with the 1 1/2 blade. Their price for 10 blades Goldline Premium Silicon Steel $325.00 . Are they worth it or is there a better deal.
Never enuf time

ronwood

Gabby,

Welcome to the forum!

I personally like to use 1 1/4 blades from Woodmizer. Menominee Saw a forum sponsers sells the Munksfurger blades. How my HP do you have? Not sure that you will gain a lot from the wider band if you have a smaller motor verses the expense of the blades.  I running a 25HP Kohler on my Woodmizer.

Good luck with the new saw.

Ron

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

ohsoloco

Congratulations on getting a mill  8)  I also have a Lumbermate, but am running 1-1/4" blades.  I purchased a box of blades from Norwood when I bought the mill, but soon realized that buying them somewhere else was MUCH cheaper.  I think a box of regular bands was around $265 for ten blades...Buying from other sources I can pick up a box for well under $200.  Check out some of the sponsors on the left of the screen to compare prices, I think you'll find you can get a much better deal  :)

Gabby

Will be getting the 23hp Briggs & Stratton.
Never enuf time

shopteacher

I think you can do much better through one of the forums sponsors for blades than the company your buying the mill from.  I like the munky blads and the Simons red streak.  I like their price also.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

tnlogger

gabby welcume to the forum  :)

and as shopteach says check out some of the sponsors.
gene

Part_Timer

Welcome to the forum

I run the 1 1/4 woodmizer blades.  I have an LT with 15 HP.  A box of blades is $300 for 15 .   Have fun

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

twostroke_blood

Hey Gabby, Welcome to the Forum  ;D I'm pretty new here myself. I agree with you on this forum its awesome. Just got a fresh batch of Woodmizer Double Hards today. $299 for 15. I also have the 23 hp vangaurd motor on my mill, its a nice motor.

gary

Gabby Welcome to the forum. Like you I am new to sawing. I just spent two days at Sawlex picking the minds of everyone there who sold blades or had a resharp service. Talk to or get information from as many as you can. They all have a different reason why thier's is better than everyone else's. But they all
will be more than happy to answer your questions .Then listen to what these people on here tell you cause thier the ones who have used them . Hope this helps you out

Ernie

Gabby, welcome to the best community on the web.  These guys and gals have been there, done that and are more than willing to help with vast knowledge and sound advice.  I remember getting my mill.  It is amazing how slowly time goes by.  Have fun makin sawdust.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

fstedy

Gabby Welcome. I just bought 25 Munkforsager ( Monkey Blades ) from Menominee $387.00 plus $36. 00 for shipping to NJ they have been great blades for me, and you get to support one of our valued sponsors.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Furby

gary

Has anyone used blades from lenox? The reason I ask is I found someone who will make them for me that is only about 3 blocks from my home . I am wondering if I should try them . Thier woodmaster c blade is under $20.00 and there would be no shipping. 

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum.
Be careful not to get any saw dust in your blood stream or you will be hooked for life. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

AtLast

Welcome!!!....I run both Lennox and Munkforsager...like the both VERY much and the price is VERY competitive....shop around but like they have said on here... the sponsers are VERY reasonable and helpful and reliable....Baker sells Lennox so you might try contacting Tom from MO on the forum here...her may be able to help

DanG

Welcome Gabby!  I hope you are true to yer name, cause we could use some more chittychat around here. ;D ;) :D

I don't have a bandmill, but I'm thinkin' my buddy Tom runs those Lenox blades.  He does a heap of sawing and I don't know of anybody whose word I would take over his, as far as band mills go.

Now, didn't that sound nice?  I swear, every word was true, but I really posted so this would stay close to the top.  ;D :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Kirk_Allen

I have seen several posts regarding the Lenox blades and it appears that they prefer the larger band wheels, like what Tom has on his Baker. 

I tried a couple on my WM and they both broke after the third resharp. 

redpowerd

im with part timer as thats where i get them sharpend also
olny broke one, sharpend twice and in dry hard maple

oh yeh, dont saw dry hard maple :D

and welcome to typing with sawdust in your eyes
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!