iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oh well...There's always Tomorrow!

Started by Planman1954, July 08, 2015, 04:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Planman1954

I guess I just feel like venting. I have a large delivery of walnut trees coming I have to saw quickly for my brother's new home he's building, and so I need to get my milling area cleared of some pine logs. I sent my blades off to Woodmizer for sharpening, so I'm all set there. I went out yesterday to try to start the Norwood that's been sitting for many months. I knew the battery would be down. After having the charger on it for hours, it still would not charge up, so I used my old van and jumped started it. After a while it finally came alive. I had to leave the van parked there to jump it each time I had to kill the engine...dull blade...etc. anyway, the old pine logs logs are half rotten, and so I'm trying to salvage some of the heart, which is ok. My tractor would not start either, so I'm using the van also to drag the logs to the mill. This was yesterday.
Anyway, so I had hoped today would be a better day..Here's what happened. I started by going to autozone to get a new battery. Got back with it, and it worked great. Looked like a great day! Started the first cut, and sawed a big slab off of the rotten log. I decided to slab off the next one at one inch, and then I hit Metal! Ruined that sharp blade! Oh well, I decided to scrap this rotten piece of garbage log full of metal, so I hooked it to the back of the van and hauled it to the woods to continue its journey to dirt.
I then went and got another smaller log which was not so rotten and pulled it to the mill. I took side cuts to square a twelve inch cant, and then was prepared to cut the can't into six inch halves when the fatal move occurred. I had put the log dog up to flip the cant for the cut, and forgot to lower it for the cut. This was one of my newly sharpened blades I planned on saving for the walnut, and I ruined it right away. I decided to stop for the day, and mow my yard. That actually went well!
OK, I'm about done. I feel better now.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Ox

Sounds like Murphy has taken up residence at your place instead of mine for a day or two.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

47sawdust

Some days I find it best to not run anything more complicated than a broom.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Andy White

Planman 1954,
Your day brings to mind an old saying I have heard for many years. Some days , you are the windshield, and some days you are the BUG!! Musta been your turn. Keep up the good work, and be safe. 8) 8)  Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Magicman

At least you did not run over something and ruin the mower blade.  Tomorrow is another day.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: 47sawdust on July 08, 2015, 05:08:06 PM
Some days I find it best to not run anything more complicated than a broom.

Some days that is dangerous.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WV Sawmiller

Posty,

Sorry to hear the Gremlins were having a reunion at your place. Sometimes I have days like that where everything I touch seems to break - gets so I am scared to go to the bathroom.

What is the old saying "Eat a worm first thing every morning and probably nothing worse will happen the rest of the day." Hope tomorrow is lots better (sounds like it just about has to be).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

fishfighter

I would of took the OP's day today. After getting out the hospital, I had to go do some PT for the back. Now I'm hurting even more. >:(

WDH

Some of Pineywood's gremlins have migrated over to pay you a visit. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Planman1954

After all, tomorrow is another day!
Scarlet O'Hara

Thanks for the encouragement and replies!

SawyerBrown

Mama said there'd be days like this,
There'd be days like this my Mama said ...
  - The Shirelles

But there's always tomorrow. Hope it's a better one!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

bandmiller2

Planguy, when a day starts like that your wise to abandon milling open a malt beverage, go fishing, nap or anything where you won't mess up. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

pineywoods

Hmmm, sounds like the grimlins at my place got ticked off because I shut down for 3 weeks to take a trip. They must have migrated the 5 miles over to planman's  ;D I hope you learn to deal with them and keepum.  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Planman1954

I just dragged those rotten, metal filled logs outa here today! I got tired of playing with those gremlins.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Planman1954 on July 09, 2015, 10:33:02 PM
I just dragged those rotten, metal filled logs outa here today! I got tired of playing with those gremlins.

:D :D :D I've been there.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

pineywoods

Hey Gary,what's with the tractor ? You didn't leave it sit all winter with ethanol gas in it ?  ::)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Planman1954

You are right, oh wise one! Oh well, I'll keep trying to live right. I mess up fairly regularly! ::)

Thank You Sponsors!