iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

49 foot beam on a 21 foot bed?

Started by OlJarhead, April 06, 2016, 12:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OlJarhead

OK guys, here is a question:  Would you attempt to rip a 6x24x49' down to two 6x12x49's on an LT40?

Not sure I want to (actually I really don't but then I'm always up for a challenge).

The guy has two 6x24" glulams that are 49 feet long and he'd like to rip them down to 6x12's.  He was thinking that if we cribbed up the end off the mill and ripped 20 feet down, wedged the cut, drew the head back and then pushed the beam down along the bed another 20 feet and ripped some more until it was done that it might work.  I'm skepticle as it seems like it would take an awful lot of work just to rip them in half -- a chainsaw mill might be a better option.

Guy also has some 4x12 and 8x8's that are 18 feet long and wants them ripped also so I'm ok with those but the 49 footers have me scratching my head.

Thoughts?
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

Just realized that a 12" cut is too deep for the LT40 I think.  If I'm not mistake 8" is max depth.  If that's the case this is a non-starter  8)

I'll do the rest though ;)

terrifictimbersllc

Take off the board return & 12" should be easy.  On mine about 11" with the board return and almost 14" without it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

OlJarhead

Oh sure, now I have to consider it again! :P

OlJarhead

I know Peter has done logs longer than a 21 foot rail...maybe I saw a pick of doing a log 24 feet long....but doing one 28 feet longer than the bed?  Anyone ever try this?  Also, in this case it's a beam and doesn't need to be rolled.  Just ripped down the center and removed.

Chuck White

I wouldn't hesitate on my mill, I have 15+ inches from the blade to the top of the throat!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Chuck White on April 06, 2016, 01:48:16 PM
I wouldn't hesitate on my mill, I have 15+ inches from the blade to the top of the throat!

OK but what about the 49 foot length?

Chuck White

Make sure you don't have anything in the way, forward and aft of the mill!

You don't need to cut all that far before sliding the beam.

Devise a means of supporting the extra length hanging off past the end of the mill.

I think I would start with the end toward the hitch resting on the forward swinging bunk, and cut to about half way between the 3rd and 4th bunks, disengage the blade and back the sawhead back to the forward swinging bunk then slide the beam forward to just about touch the blade, clamp the beam in place and repeat.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

OlJarhead

Quote from: Chuck White on April 06, 2016, 01:59:21 PM
Make sure you don't have anything in the way, forward and aft of the mill!

You don't need to cut all that far before sliding the beam.

Devise a means of supporting the extra length hanging off past the end of the mill.

I think I would start with the end toward the hitch resting on the forward swinging bunk, and cut to about half way between the 3rd and 4th bunks, disengage the blade and back the sawhead back to the forward swinging bunk then slide the beam forward to just about touch the blade, clamp the beam in place and repeat.
Thanks -- so don't cut 20 feet.  I get it I think -- easier to back out of 6-8 feet with wedges than to do so for 20 feet.  Makes sense.

Chuck White

Keep us posted on this.

My thinking is if you cut to far, it'll have more tendency to move on you.

Anyone else have ideas, don't hesitate to jump in!

ScottInCabot

Why couldn't you start the cut, say ten feet of it, then wrap something around the cut end to slow feed the remaining part through the running saw head?  pull it through....

I have no idea if this is bad or not, but I'm probably about to find out here......

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

OlJarhead

I think it would be too hard on the head to do that.  Better to reset and move the beam I think.  Will be a challenge!  24" tall 6" wide beam might want to move when unclamped but I'm hoping with patience it's possible.

I told the guy I'd mill the small stiff (8x8x18') first ;)

Chuck White

Scott, just have to keep in mind that these are manufactured beams and not just flat material.

I think it would be hard to control it if it decided to tip, when you were part way through the cut.

If it was flat material, such as plywood or OSB, it would work just fine, put the log stops all the way up and bring the clamp in tight enough to "just" allow it to slide through.

Thanks for the additional input, that's what this place is all about!   ;)

Ga Mtn Man

I've done this but it was only 38' long.  I'd divide it into three cuts so you only have to move it twice.  Make sure you don't move the head UP/DN between cuts.  Use your toe rollers to help move the beam.  Make sure it's laying flat on all the bunks...you will have to raise or lower the ends to take the bow out of the beam.
"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

OlJarhead

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on April 06, 2016, 03:01:59 PM
I've this but it was only 38' long.  I'd divide it into three cuts so you only have to move it twice.  Make sure you don't move the head UP/DN between cuts.  Use your toe rollers to help move the beam.  Make sure it's laying flat on all the bunks...you will have to raise or lower the ends to take the bow out of the beam.

I was thinking about using the toe boards/rollers but with the band in the cut that will put some tension on it when raising the toe boards so wasn't too sure how it would go.

derhntr

raise your toe boards first before starting cut Grasshapper  ;)
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

OlJarhead

Quote from: derhntr on April 06, 2016, 03:55:38 PM
raise your toe boards first before starting cut Grasshapper  ;)

Hmmm.....so you're saying to raise the toe boards (maybe an inch each?) and leave them raised the whole time?  Hadn't thought of that!  Should work much better though I better make sure they are the same height exactly or things could get ugly ;)

GAB

I've never been accused of being too bright, but what I would try would be to set the piece to be sawed on the bed rails and supported at least two places beyond the end of the mill.  Then saw until just past the second toe roller, then somehow lock the head in position and slowly push the beam through with the running saw.
As the piece is being pushed somehow support the end as it protrudes past the hitch.  You will need to somehow keep the beam level to get a nice cut.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

derhntr

Raise them just high enough to be able to roll the beam. I have never done on that long though. As others have said will need end supports. I have command control on end so would be hard for me to feed off forward end of saw. I wish you luck and look forward to seeing photos.
2006 Woodmizer LT40HDG28 with command control (I hate walking in sawdust)
US Army National Guard (RET) SFC

OlJarhead

I suggested the customer get some cribbing that we can build up on both ends of the mill and out far enough to support the log.  He also has a tractor with forks but I don't like that option.  Better to crib and shim so it's level all the way with no bow I think.

We shall see!  I have ordered some Bi-Metal blades so I'll have them for burned trees as well as beams.

redbeard

If you don't want to back out of cut just take blade off and leave it in cut. And roll head back slide beam forward or backwards re hook up blade continue another 20'. If this glue lam is 2x 6 laminated together there could be metal in it depends on era but I did one that was full of drywall screws. It was from a church built in the mid 70s. Have not found a blade that can get through drywall screws.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Peter Drouin

The roller thing is good But, I would check for steel, I think it's full of nails or screws.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Percy

^^This^^ I did some glue lam ripping and there were plenty of little aluminium nails hidden in there holding the scarf joints together. They cut nice but if they were steel, it would have been tough.  I did rip a 40 footer once on the 70.  We just pushed it thru the spinning blade with the clamp set kinda loose and the backstops appropriatly adjusted. also has a couple of adjustable roller stands. didnt take 15 miniutes
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

ScottInCabot

Quote from: Chuck White on April 06, 2016, 02:30:48 PM
Scott, just have to keep in mind that these are manufactured beams and not just flat material.

I think it would be hard to control it if it decided to tip, when you were part way through the cut.

If it was flat material, such as plywood or OSB, it would work just fine, put the log stops all the way up and bring the clamp in tight enough to "just" allow it to slide through.

Thanks for the additional input, that's what this place is all about!   ;)

Didn't even consider something that big and weighing that much would flip up.  What does the beam weigh as it sits uncut?

I thought the original uncut piece was already flat, just twice the size as the customer wanted....sorry.

(I'll read the rest to see what the outcome happens to be, just in case I ever get 'thrown this idea' by someone)

Scott in Cabot
Timber framing RULES!

Upper

Break out the Alaskan you put away when you bought your mill..............Upper
Stihl 661
Alaskan 36 CSM
36" guillotine splitter powered by a GMC V6
I like to build stuff
LT35HD Wood-Mizer

Thank You Sponsors!