iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Slab bundled for firewood

Started by Horselog, April 08, 2016, 07:29:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horselog

I followed the recent thread about a slab rack with interest, and ended up making one. It's a 4'x4' rack that I fill them strap the bundle and set it out by the highway to hopefully sell for firewood. My question now is what something like that is worth. One fellow was saying that it was close to a cord, so it should be in the area of what a cord goes for, which around here is $180-$250. I feel like there's a lot of air in them, and a lot of small stuff, since it includes edgings. And I'd heard of someone selling a bundle for $20, although I don't know what size that was exactly. Anybody have thoughts about good pricing?

My goal is to lean toward the side of getting it sold, rather than getting the absolute most out of it can.
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

Kbeitz

I cut my slabs up... Going into a 4x4x4 box. 1/2 cord. I get $50.00 a box and they unload it.
As my slabs come off the mill it goes strait to the chop saw. I make the cuts as the carriage
is returning home. I can cut so fast that i get back to the mill as the carriage is getting home.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Horselog

Are you able to sell all the slabs you produce?
Benjamin Harris
Appalachian Mountains of Virginia
horse_logger@me.com

killamplanes

Slabs are worth as much as u can get.. I personally pile mine with little to no effort no cutting them down or banding just pile away from mill 50 feet. Tell everybody I know (no bums) come get free of charge I won't load  or help in anyway or take a penny.  Sometimes theres 5 semi loads worth and sometimes a pickup load.. it works for me but if I cut near as much as I should I would have to chip, I would be covered up in slab wood.
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

Peter Drouin

½ a cord $45.00 soft wood  $100.00 hard wood.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Larry

You ever buy any charcoal?  The charcoal plants around here pay around $12 for a bundle like in Peters last picture...but only if its hardwood and you deliver.

They don't lack for willing sellers.  I usually band my slabs up and give away more than I ever sell.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

killamplanes

Darn I have trouble givin mine away around here. People rather spend a day splittin wood then getten it free around here!!
jd440 skidder, western star w/grapple,tk B-20 hyd, electric, stihl660,and 2X661. and other support Equipment, pallet manufacturing line

killamplanes

More power to u guys any income is income 8)

redprospector

I've been selling mine for $10 a pickup load, and $20 a trailer load...all you have the nerve to load and drive off with.
I'm thinking about banding some up and try getting a little more for it. I figure it will stack up in less space durring the "non firewood season" too. We'll see I guess.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

JBS 181

My slab rack holds around a 1/3 cord as I was told by an older gent after he took it home and sawed it up as well as stacked it. A lot I believe would depend on where you live. I have absolutely no problem getting rid of my bundles of slabs at 25 bucks a bundle. At that those slabs will pay for quite a bit of fuel and some blades. Almost all my slabs are ponderosa and lodge pole pine. If I have thicker slabs I will set those aside and buzz saw those up for my own use or sell them cut up for a bit more profit.

ozarkgem

I band mine and sell a few for 15 a bundle. Or I give them away. If I had a semi load I think the chipper in Neosho will buy them. Maybe Dboyt knows more about that.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Peter Drouin

I only keep 30 or so bundles, the rest I chip.

I sell chips in the spring for landscaping.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

Left in full length bundles, weather 3x3 or 4x4,,  I figure 25 bucks a bundle or a little less, any processing it the bundle is more likely to end up in my pile ;D  or it would go for the going rate a little less than a buck a cu/ft stacked, keep in mind these are mostly thin slabs, not really premium firewood in my mind, but worth burning at the beginning of the season or near the end of it, when the stove only gets fired up on the cooler snaps,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!