iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SAWING STUMPS

Started by GAV64, April 21, 2004, 05:14:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAV64

I JUST PULLED OUT MY VERY FIRST SAW OUT OF RETIREMENT, A POULAN 3800 THATS ABOUT 20 YEARS OLD, I WAS AMAZED IT STARTED AFTER 3 PULLS, SEEMS IT NEVER USED TO START THAT EASY. ANYWAY I HAVEN'T TOLD IT YET BUT IT'S GOING TO THE BULLPEN,  RELIEF SAW, SAVE THE HUSKY, STUMPS ONLY! I TRY TO CUT THE STUMPS THAT I CAN'T DIG OR GRIND FLUSH WITH THE GROUND SO THE MOWER DOESN'T HIT THEM, SEEMS I HAVE TO RECUT THEM EVERY YEAR, THEY FORGET THEY ARE DEAD. MY QUESTION TO THE FORUM MEMBERSHIP- IS THERE A OPTIMUM ANGLE TO GRIND THE CHAIN TO CUT A STUMP WHERE THE ROOTS START TO FLARE, IT SEEMS THE 25/30 DEGREE ON THE STANDARD CHAIN MAKES MORE DUST THEN CHIPS, IF A RIP CHAIN IS AT 5 TO 10 DEGREES IS IT SAFE TO SAY THE CHAIN SHOULD BE FILED TO ABOUT 15/20 DEGREES. THANKS, GLENN.

Kevin

Glenn;
I haven't experienced much of a difference in cutting angles between the chains with the exception of finish, rough vs smooth.
Carbide is probably the chain to choose but it's very expensive.
My first choice would be renting a stump grinder or acquiring the services from someone that has one.

oldsaw-addict

Ripping chains make more dust than crosscut chains which I believe is what you currently have, Have you touched up the chain with a file and used a depth gauge to check that your depth chauges on the cutters are at the right height? it sounds to me like you're running a dull sawchain, dont feel bad, I did the same thing when I was 13 and had a cheapo saw, never touched the depth gauges and just filed the chains and threw em out after about 5 sharpenings. Since then I've learned how to file MUCH better and to file the depth gauges to the right height every 2nd or 3rd sharpening. I'm willing to help you learn if you need some assistance with it.  The standard 25/30 degree angle on the top plates is just fine for cutting stumps, as long as the cutters are sharp otherwise you're just gonna be putting undue strain and wear on your saw.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

tawilson

I was just cutting some stumps today. If the stump is big enough, I do a plunge cut and rotate the saw inside the stump, it seems to help keep it out of the dirt. I did hit dirt on the sixth one I did, got a little cocky. After sharpening that dull chain, I'll be a lot more careful tomorrow. I use a regular chain, no special angles and it works fine. You must have hit something with your chain if it was sharpened correctly and all you were getting was dust. I'm cutting them flush enough to mow over too.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

oldsaw-addict

You know, I used to use my Poulan wildthing to cut the stumps down below ground level, I'd go in with a shovel first adn dig around the stump so I could get the saw in and then I'd cut the stump below ground so I could jsut throw some dirt in the hole and forget it. I never really had a problem with dull chains because I didnt touch the dirt with the sawchain at all so I had relatively sharp cutters when I was working, but just to be safe I used my crappy oregon safety chain which worked well under the conditions I was cutting in.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Kevin

It has a lot to do with soil content and how many stones the root system picks up.

rebocardo

I think cutting stumps is one of the most dangerous things to do with a chain saw because of position and the things you encounter in the lower part of a stump. When I cut them I always bring a wedge along too. What I usually do is section the stump from the top (vertical)  into 4-8 pieces like a pie and then go about in a circle with the chain saw cutting the sections off. Helps prevent the chain from being grabbed on the top or the nose that way. Only way to do a tree once it gets up more then 24 inches, imo.

I usually just cut my stumps to 12-18 inches and get a grinder from Home Depot to finish them off if the customer wants it. Nothing destroys a chain faster then hitting a rock or spike.

I have even hit glass bottles inside tree stumps.

Mike_Barcaskey

After six years of running a tree service, I would never cut below the top of the root flair, learned that the hard way the first year.

Too hard on you and the saw, get a stump grinder
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

Stan

For those stumps that forget they are dead, bore a couple of 1 inch holes, fill them with saltpeter (sodium nitrate). After a couple of rains it will have permeated the stump and killed it. Speeds up the rotting process too.  8)
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

redpowerd

get some horsepower and a sturdy loggin chain ;D

the biggest problem ive had with stumps is the back-pressure with the exhaust in the dirt
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Thank You Sponsors!