iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Flooring finishes

Started by Dan_Shade, May 09, 2017, 12:03:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

I need to finish some new hardwood floors, and I need a few suggestions.

I want good durability and some warmth in the appearance.

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

The really important step is in preparing the floor.  It must be super smooth, at the correct moisture content, and free of all dust.  Then remove dust again.  The hardest finish is one designed for gym floors, but that is probably not needed for a home.  For a premium home finish, I would consider Bona Traffic..., especially if you have dogs or kids and want to avoid scratches, but follow directions and avoid other, noncompatible products on the floor.  Otherwise, Bona Mega... is a good choice for a home.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Bona Traffic was going to be my recommendation too, but I see that Gene beat me to it!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WLC

When we built our first home in GA (20 some odd years ago) the guy who finished our floors used gym floor finish topped by another finish to take it from high gloss to a more satin final finish.  Held up real good with little to no noticeable scratches etc, even with a dog in the house.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

jtmccallum

I installed ash flooring in our living room and red maple in our bedroom this winter.  I ended up using Rubio Monocoat 2C.  It was recommended by a local hardwood business.  It is a linseed based oil with a hardener. It doesn't show scratches and has a satin finish.  It was dry enough to move furniture in 2 days.  Traffic areas can be refinished and blended easily. 8)
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Joey Grimes

I finished a pine floor years ago with a product called glista at request of homeowners it was a super hard and durable finish but it's nasty stuff must wear chemical resperator and tyvek suit .I've heard roofers getting chemical pneumonia from the fumes !! I didn't know what I was getting into when I agreed to use it but it looked nice.
94 woodmizer lt40 HD kabota 5200 ford 4000 94 international 4700 flatbed and lots of woodworking tools.

Thank You Sponsors!