iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS260 is mine the only one that cuts?

Started by Erick, September 30, 2004, 03:16:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Erick

I've been reading alot of the posts on here and nobody really seems to like the MS260 / 026. I'd just like to say I love mine and wouldnt trade it for nothin. Like I said in past posts I run the .325 chain and mabey thats the differance but my saw will pull all 18 inchs burried in a white oak or ash! I dont run it that hard because I have bigger saws but it will do it without complaints. I really like the power to weight ratio as one guy said it almost feels like a toy in your hands. I love it for limbing (alot more power than my 021 for the same weight) and cutting big limbs and trees up to about 15 or 16 inchs. I know most of the posts seem to be on the 026 and I think it only made 3.2 HP where as the MS260 makes 3.5 HP and someone said they thought the new one made 3.75(  ;Dwow may trade it after all :D). It's a 47cc saw verses 50 to 60cc for other saws in this range and I guess may not make the same torque as the bigger cc but if the chain is sharp and you let the saw do the work(dont push it) it cuts clean smooth and fast. I could go on all day about balace and almost zero vibration and all but I've rambled on long enough. Just saw alot bad press on what I thought was a great saw. Use it for its intended pourpose ( :PStihl says limbing) and its one of the best. :)
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

DanManofStihl

I owned two 026 chainsaws they were not that bad of saws I just ran to long of a bar on them the 20 inch 3/8s is to big of a set up for it but if it had a sharp chain it would pull it. It was not really that bad of a saw I like it but I don't know if I would buy it again for the money I would get a 036 pro or even a ms 290 farm boss before I would buy a 026 just like having alittle extra power.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Bushwhacker

Gosh, the 026/260 is offered as a professional saw designed for production on a daily basis. I've always had the feeling that they were a high quality saw, even though I've never used one.What seems to be the problem with them? my 018, 025 and 460 all run and cut good. I'd like to have a 260 to add to the group.
KLH

ScottAR

I love my 026!!  Strong and light...  It's cut everything I asked, I would like more power for felling though.  After the felling, the 026 would be part of the cleanup.  :)
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Frickman

A friend of mine is a professional arborist, and he mainly runs an 026/260 when in the tree. He climbs and uses a bucket truck both. He does keep a little wee saw around if he needs one, but the 026/260's, along with a pole saw, do the the majority of the work for him.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Coot

i bucked up 16 inch logs with a 026 and a 16inch bar and had all kinds of power

Rocky_J

I somewhat disagree with the entire premise of this thread. The 026 is the second best saw in the 3 cube class (recently upstaged by the awesome little Husky 346XP).

I agree with pretty much everyone's observations on the 026. I have owned a couple myself and agree with the .325 pitch chain and 18" bar.

I completely disagree with Dan's comment on preferring the 029. The 029 is a homeowner type saw that is as heavy as the 036 with less power than the 026. I don't know the published propaganda figures, my observations are based on real life experience.

abeyanko414

As far as I know the 026 and MS 260 PRO are different saws. I have read somewhere the 260 PRO has 3.75 HP, and in another place they claim 3.6. The new MS 260 PRO is built exactly like the 440, 460, 660 and 880, steel cased and everything. But you're really going to pay for it in the pocket book. My friend wants to buy one for the simple fact he has a bad back and with this thing being so light, it seems the choice, but you can get a 440, or even a 361 PRO for not much more.

I don't know, I guess I'll just have to get myself one of each someday :)

Stephen_Wiley

The key to understanding chainsaw performance is not registered in H.P. But rather in engine displacement and torque conversion.

This is 'why' fair analysis of similar model saws are NOT similar at all.

E.G.: the newer MS260 has less torque conversion than the older 26.

The 26 imho is a great saw for its class. However, it also depends upon 'where' it was manufactured. Stihl has factory's in Germany, Brazil, Canada, Asia, etc.

I have operated saws from the different manufacturers of the same product and noticed a 'big difference' in performance. It makes a difference the quality of work put into the same design.

Also remember; the species you are cutting, the weather conditions (cold, freezing, hot), style of chain, condition and angles the chain is sharpened, will greatly impact saw performance.

A couple of years ago, I sold my 025 to fella that had an 026. He loved the power that the 025 had and remarked how it outcut his 026 and subsequentially another 026 he had at work. Yet my 026 easily outpaced the 025 I sold.  What was the difference ? Most likely the manufacturing and also likely the knowledge and care I placed in my saws compared to the lack their of in the others he had to operate.

When comparing brands (like Rocky did above) often will be different depending upon operator's use (e.g. leaning into the cut). Both the Stihl MS 260 and the Husqvarna 346xp are so close in design that only manufacturing and / or additional modification will make the slightest advantage to the saws when handled by the same operator.

Note:

MS 260
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Stephen_Wiley

The key to understanding chainsaw performance is not registered in H.P. But rather in engine displacement and torque conversion.

This is 'why' fair analysis of similar model saws are NOT similar at all.

E.G.: the newer MS260 has less torque conversion than the older 26.

The 26 imho is a great saw for its class. However, it also depends upon 'where' it was manufactured. Stihl has factory's in Germany, Brazil, Canada, Asia, etc.

I have operated saws from the different manufacturers of the same product and noticed a 'big difference' in performance. It makes a difference the quality of work put into the same design.

Also remember; the species you are cutting, the weather conditions (cold, freezing, hot), style of chain, condition and angles the chain is sharpened, will greatly impact saw performance.

A couple of years ago, I sold my 025 to fella that had an 026. He loved the power that the 025 had and remarked how it outcut his 026 and subsequentially another 026 he had at work. Yet my 026 easily outpaced the 025 I sold.  What was the difference ? Most likely the manufacturing and also likely the knowledge and care I placed in my saws compared to the lack their of in the others he had to operate.

When comparing brands (like Rocky did above) often they will perforrm different depending upon operator's use (e.g. leaning into the cut). Both the Stihl MS 260 and the Husqvarna 346xp are so close in design that only manufacturing and / or additional modification will make the slightest advantage to the saws when handled by the same operator.

Note:

MS260               Husky 346XP
Cylinder Displacement       2.97cu.in.          2.7 cu.in.
Engine hp                         3.5                    3.4
Powerhead weight            10.6 lbs.            10.6 lbs.

With the above slight differences the 'edge' actually on paper shows the Stihl to have a slight more h.p. But note ' Rocky states the husky in his opinion out performs the 260.

Of course we do not know if both saws can be 'modified' (ported) without a sizeable increase to one due to manufacturer diferences.

But it can be said. The Stihl 026 or the MS 260 are good saws.
" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Erick

Thanks guys its good to hear some good things said about the 026 / MS260 I was beginning to think i was the only one who really appreciated this little saw for what it is.

And Rocky;

" I somewhat disagree with the entire premise of this thread. The 026 is the second best saw in the 3 cube class (recently upstaged by the awesome little Husky 346XP). "

I said "ONE" of the best I would never presume to know what saw is best for anyone but myself.  ::)
It's better to have it and not need it. Then to need it and not have it.

slowzuki

I like my MS260 a lot but haven't used a 346xp.  The sawshop carried stihl and husqy. Had a good price on both but the 260 had better warrantee and felt better balanced.

I don't think I'd put a bigger bar than the 16 on it.

Ken

Ed

My old 026 & 16" bar is a great combo, good power & light weight. I have had very good luck with it EXCEPT:
The air filtration is crap, filter plugs up quick. Especially when cutting dry dead wood.
The bar oiler siphons, if the saw sets for a couple of weeks you better turn it on it's side or it will discharge the whole tankfull on the floor.

Rocky_J

Other than general annual 'updates', the 026 and MS260 are the exact same saws. The 'Pro' suffix indicates that it has a compression release and an adjustable oiler, nothing more. Listed power ratings may be changed slightly due to different testing equipment or EPA mandated changes such as smaller carbs or choking down the muffler with more baffles and smaller outlet. The engine on the newest MS260Pro is still the same 026 engine that has been cutting wood for 15 years. Just gut the muffler and rejet the carb and it will run just as good as it ever has.

HORSELOGGER

I guess i better get after the muffler and carb on the ms260 I bought new last winter, cuz I think its the most useless, gutless piece of junk I ever took to the woods. I tried to see about getting diferent jets from my dealer, but he is more useless after the sale than the saw. What about just swaping out to the old style carb from the models that were adjustable? Anybody got one for sale?
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

Rocky_J

Horselogger,
I no longer have the part number but the carb you need is a Walbro 426 something or other. Once you have a carb that can be adjusted to allow more fuel to the motor, you can open up the pitifully restricted muffler and let the saw breathe a little. The instant increase in power along with decreased operating temperatures (resulting in longer engine life) will be quite noticable.

Email me and I'll look and see if I can find my 026/ MS260 parts list breakdown and I'll email it to you. It's in PDF format.

Kevin

jokers

The proper carb is a Stihl proprietary WT model, 426 being the most common. Another fairly common WT for the 026 is the 194. The Stihl proprietary carbs don`t have the choke in them since it is in the filter.

The fixed jet carbs can be made workable in many cases by ensuring that the metering lever height is where it belongs, which is level with the surrounding carb body. If the lever is too high it causes the inlet needle to lift too high which can cause an over rich condition but more commonly it`s too low and the engine starves for fuel at high rpm and the saw is weak and prone to lean seize or premature wear. Stihltech was the first to point out the criticality of this parameter on a fixed jet carb. On a fully adjustable carb you probably wouldn`t even notice if the lever height wasn`t quite right.

I also heard of guys reaming the fixed jets with number drills or orifice broaches like welding tip cleaners but that seems like an imprecise method that will not satisfy all conditions and therefore is not worth the effort in my mind.

BTW, the 026/ms260 is THE most sensitive to carb adjustments saw that I have ever encountered. Many others have related a similar opinion to me. What a gaff it was for Stihl to give it a fixed jet.

Russ

slowzuki

Just a note too, the Canadian MS260's aren't the same as the US models.  Bought mine last fall and it has the adjustable oiler I believe.  The only other option is the arctic model that has something on the carb, heated handle.  None of our models have the tool-less tensioner.

jokers

QuoteJust a note too, the Canadian MS260's aren't the same as the US models.  Bought mine last fall and it has the adjustable oiler I believe.......

Ummmmm....... you don`t know? That`s all fine and good anyway, even if it were true. What is noteworthy is that the US version has a bigger, stiffer crank :D  to be more in line with US operators. This is probably just to satisfy all those left coasters though, who all seem to want extra long bars on `em. Compensation for something is what I`m guessing.  ;D

Russ

Bruce_A

might be something to do with bad backs and big trees

Thank You Sponsors!