iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain Brake Knee Link Pin

Started by krishocken, October 10, 2019, 06:04:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krishocken

So I have 2 Husqvarna 365s with busted chain brake assemblies. Both are broken because of the pin that is on the crankcase that the knee link hooks onto in order to stay in place. One just fell out and one sheared off. The part number is 503751801 for reference. I found the replacement pin online but I'm not sure how to remove the sheared on and how to replace the pin so it fits securely and doesn't fall out again. Any tips for removing and replacing this pin? 

lxskllr

Looks like it's splined on the crankcase side. Maybe drill it, insert a screw, and pull it out? Since they're selling them, I'd guess it's something you expect to break on occasion. You probably don't want a permanent install solution. Medium hold loctite?

ManjiSann

Looks like the same part as in my 390xp. The one that just fell out you should be able to just put the new one in so long as the hole hasn't been enlarged. 

I bought my 390 used and it didn't have the pin in at all so I was worried the hole was messed up but when I got the new pin it was a tight fit, a little light tapping with a hammer and it was in. I have no concerns about it working itself loose. I'd be interested to know how mine came out, my guess is a previous owner removed it and the spring to disable the chain brake  ??? ???

The one that has the top sheared off you may be able to drill out carefully, like removing a rivet or just grind the larger top/lip off and push the remainder through. Check and see if the hole comes out the other side, it does on the 390. If you can't do this can you get a pair of vise grips on it and pull it out straight?

Brandon 

Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

celliott

I may be wrong but I believe I've removed those before, take the muffler and top cover off and I think you can punch it out from the backside. 
Been awhile though 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

krishocken

The one that fell out worked itself loose so I'm a little worried the new one won't fit tightly but I'll have to wait for the part to come in before I worry too much about that. The hole is very small and the surrounding material is very soft so I don't want to drill it and damage the receiving hole. I'll try just tapping it out from the back and hopefully that will work. The pin part has sheared off completely so the vice grip doesn't have anything to grab onto until I get it pushed out some. I'll get to work and update later.

ManjiSann

Good luck my friend, I'm sure you'll get it sorted  :) :)

Brandon 
Poulan Pro 5020AV, Husky 390XP

Thank You Sponsors!