Wood-Mizer LT35 Diesel Electrical Problems? - slow crank of starter

Started by chandler, December 24, 2021, 08:04:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chandler

A year and half old LT35 with Yanmar diesel and only 36 hours won't start. I've talked to people at Wood-Mizer and have followed instructions on troubleshooting that has focused on grounding and wire connections that might be the cause of starter only turning the engine one or two revolutions and voltage tester showing a drop from 12.6 to about 9v when the key is turned to start. I got it started once on a warn day by repeatedly engaging the starter turning it a crank or two until it finally fired up. Ran fine, everything else worked, shut it down. Next time I tried that repeated short cranking of starter I burned out the 150 amp slow fuse. It has a new battery (thought the old one might be the issue) and I have checked all wire connections I could see, removed many - particularly the grounds, and cleaned with steel wool and tightened.  Removed and cleaned the grounding brass shoe on the bottom rail and cleaned the rail with Gumout and sanded bright - made no difference. It's sitting beside a pile of cherry logs that I finally have the time to saw and it won't start. Very frustrated, and disappointed in Wood-Mizer that I have to haul this expensive "like new" heap 4 hours to the the nearest Woodmizer dealer for them to work on it.

Hoped to find something simple and fix myself, any other ideas based on your experience?

Southside

Pull the starter and lock it into a vice. Apply voltage to the selonoid the same way as the ignition would do. Spin right up or grind and drag? Same voltage drop or do you have 12V on both sides of the relay? 

The grounding strip is only to get power to the hydraulic pump, so the issue is somewhere in the relay, wiring, or starter itself from what you described. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows