iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Not a California howdy..

Started by L. Wakefield, June 19, 2002, 07:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

L. Wakefield

Hey Jeff! I have an idea! It's a dumb idea, but that should not surprise you by now.. :D   Do you remember the old (OLD!) chat rooms where there would be in parentheses ('Jeff- or whoever- enters the room') and the opposite when you signed off?

Well, I frequently check to see 'who else is on', and when I find a bunch (like tonight)- I always wish there was a way I could wave them a big howdy (but not a California howdy).

I don't know if it's worth the trouble. I was thinking something like you wouldn't have to key it if you didn't want to but if you wanted to it would 'wave' and say who it was from.

Toldja it was a dumb idea. Hi, anyway.      ;)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

RavioliKid

What's a "California howdy"?

::)
RavioliKid

L. Wakefield

See the late '90s remake of The Beverly Hillbillies' for clarification of this time-honored gesture. ;)   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

RavioliKid

Lynn-
I don't have time to do research! ;)

Can you tell me what it is, or should I use my imagination?
 :o
RavioliKid

Tom

I know, I know,......  I saw that movie.  A California Howdy is a single digit wave.  Every body on the road was greeting the Clampetts when they got to Californy.  Real friendly place.

Jeff

Oh, the ole number one sign.

I saw a comedy bit on that the other night, the guy was talking about how in the world that somebody flipped somebody off for the first time and it came to mean what it means. Think about it, pretty funny.

I don't know if this is bunk or not, but I heard a long time ago that the f word came to be from a time when in (england?) that population problems made it illegal to do the deed with out expressed permission from the crown, so came the permit that was given. "Fornication under consent of King."
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kevin

This is for educational purposes only and should never ever be used against me.  ;D

L. Wakefield

Well, DanG, I had searched the 'more smileys' for something like that for a demo but couldn't find one. Thanx, Rant's buddy! :D  lw

RavioliKid

Thanks to everyone for the enlightenment!

RavioliKid

CHARLIE

Here in Minnesota, the one finger wave is common but it's the pointer finger. Usually when you pass a farmer, whether he is in his pickup or some kind of farm machinery, he will lift his pointer finger and still grip the steering wheel with the rest of his hand. So I in turn lift my pointer finger to wave back. It's just a one finger wave but is meant to be a friendly one. :) My guess is that Wisconsin farmers and Iowa farmers probably wave the same way.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

RavioliKid

That's the way the bus drivers wave around here.

RavioliKid

DanG

I have a system that I go by.

Index finger if I don't know him.

2 fingers if I know who he is, but ain't buddies.

Middle finger if I know him and don't like him.

Whole hand and a big grin, if he's a friend.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bro. Noble

Tom,

I think they must wave that way in Florida too.

I was visiting Mexico with a friend several years ago.  We bumped into a guy from Florida (literally---he jumped out right in front of us.)

I guess he was from Florida,  he was yelling something about the 'SUNNY BEACHES' as he waved.
milking and logging and sawing and milking