iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Collapsing categories

Started by Jeff, September 19, 2002, 05:14:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

On the forum category page you will now see this:
Forestry Forum · Expand · Collapse ·  

Near the top of the category list. By clicking collapse, you can condense your forum index. then by clicking the categories you want expanded you set your preferences. The forum will then remember this for you.

Why? Well, As much as I hate to admit it, some folks dont read everything all the time. This is a way to shorten up the list, but yet still see if something is new in a category you have collapsed. I have the commerce section collasped. that way I can see if something is new, but I dont have to look past for sale, wanted, and services each time I scan the page.

Comments??
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KiwiCharlie

G'day Jeff,

I was about to start a thread on this but saw you got to it first.  I like it!  Often I have to scroll down to see whos on the forum with me (normally only a couple of night owls), but now, whammo!, its all right there.
I must admit, I sat there for 10 mins when I saw it, wondering what on earth would happen if I pressed one of them, then spent another 10 mins playing with it after I tried!! ;)
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

Noble_Ma

Lately, I've been using the view last 10 posts.  It works pretty good for getting up to speed when you first get on.  

Jeff

If you rely on using view last 10 posts you will miss a ton. Have you ever noticed the view last 100 posts link on the entrance page?

Noble_Ma

Yes, but I forgot about that one.  My problem is at home I have dial up service which is soooooooooooooooooooo slooooooooooooooooww!   At work we have T1 lines that are rocket fast.  At home by the time my post gets posted, the subject has changed!  You know day late and dollar short.  The last ten posts give me a heads up to catch the subjects I'm most interested in and than I take my time and browse.

Jeff

I have dial up here too. But they just buried the digital cable at the end of the road woohoo! I am supposed to be broad band by the middle of da month.

DanG

You getting DSL, or Cable Modem, Jeff?  I heard some rumbling about cutting the bandwidth on DSL. If they do that, it won't be much better than dial-up.

I'm on dial-up here at home, and I don't notice all that much difference from the ether-net link I have at work. I am only about 3 kilofeet from the fiber-optic terminal at the end of our road, so I regularly connect at 46-48k with my 56k modem. I do notice a little difference when downloading large files, but I don't do much of that.

BTW, I'm connected at 48,000 bps, right now, and we have a thunderstorm going on.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Noble_Ma

I don't even have cable in my town. It was going to cost to much to raise the telephone poles to a legal height for cable.  I had to get a dish and that took about 5 years to convince the wife. Dish internet is a little high for me. They're threating to give us DSL some time in the next millenium ;D  

Jeff

44,000 is usually what I connect at. Getting cable modem. Downloads supposedly at 1.5 megs a second and uploads at 256k  That beats the heck out of the 3 to 4k a sec I am used to while working on websites. I might have time to do sumthin again since I wont be baby sitting uploads and downloads for hours.

Tom

I am constantly hooked to broadband at some ungodly byte xmission rate that usually outruns my computer. The only slow part of it is how busy the lines get or if the provider is doing something.  I think they must do somekind of bulk xmission on occasion because I come to a stop. Usually it fairly quick.  Ho-hum

Noble_Ma

Even though it's slow, it sure beats writing letters ;D  I have a sister in San Jose that I probably wrote 5 letters to in the twenty something years she's lived there.  I talk to her daily on IM or emails.

Corley5

I'm on a super slow dial up here at home.  I NEVER connect at more than 26,400.  I've been told that it's because our phone lines date back to the stone age out here in the sticks.  I looked into a satellite hookup but at $500.00+ for the hardware and installation plus another $60.00 a month for the service I guess I'll get along with what I've got.  The broad band or whatever it is at work is super!!!  Downloads are almost instant.  I try not to use it too much.  Don't want to get too spoiled.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

woodmills1

my phone hook up used to be very erratic, 10k then 26 then 40 then back to ten.  A friend in the phone biz said pick up your phone and then press any number and listen for a buzz or hum.  sure enough it was there and worse when it was raining.  I set up a repair appointment after checking at the outside connection to identify that the buzz was outside the house.  repairman found two bees nest along my line, cleaned them out and repaired the corrosion, and now I hook up at 49,333 every time. 8)
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Noble_Ma

I found this number that you call and it will tell you what your phone line is capable of handling.  I would think that there must be something like that in most states?