iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Do you see sawmills being towed on the road?

Started by thecfarm, January 24, 2013, 10:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

I was thinking,I see very few sawmills being towed down the road. In fact I really can not remember the last time I saw one and where it was.We go alot too. Not too many freeways,but mostly back roads and state highways. I see every piece of heavy equipment being hauled,right from tractors to forwarders. I don't miss a log truck,empty or full either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

I see one occasionally and wonder, "what the heck is he doing in my territory?"   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Delawhere Jack

I've never seen another portable mill on the road. I do see loaded log trucks at least 1 or 2 times a month, and this is not a big timber area.

hackberry jake

I see log trucks every day, only seen one other portable sawmill on the road. In my neck of the woods commercial circle mills are king.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

thecfarm

Delawhere Jack,that could be another whole thread,how often you see a loaded log truck? I never gave that much of a thought.  :o  I see at least one in a 20 minute drive. very common to meet one empty or full. Helps to live only 20 minutes from a paper mill. But I see logs too.

NWP

Quote from: thecfarm on January 24, 2013, 10:50:23 PM
But I see logs too.

I see logs too.  Most of them are along the road when I'm driving and are still standing with limbs on them. ;D 

I have never thought of it, but I can't say that I've ever seen a portable mill being towed either.  Funny thing is, Timberking's factory is less than 5 miles from where the fire station is I work at.  It's about 20 miles from my house and my wood yard is right along the interstate so I would think that would improve my chances of a sighting.  Maybe they are kind of like a sasquatch.  Very elusive.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Ianab

When we had a wind storm last year and they were doing salvage logging I thing we had 1/2 the trucks from the central Nth Island rolling though town. On a 1/2 hour drive back from town I counted 15 one day. There would have been 15 empty ones following me too.

Today I counted 3 in a 15 minute walk down our main street, that's a more normal number.  :D

Portable mills? Woodmizer type mills are rare as hens teeth, you occasionally see some other mill on the road, but a swingmill on the back of truck doesn't really stand out.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

losttheplot

I've seen 3 in the last 11 years, they have all been LT 40's.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK !

Ljohnsaw

I saw one (orange) loaded in the back of a pickup, hanging out a little, a month or two back.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Brucer

One or two a year.

There used to be a lot of mobile sawyers in these parts but most of them have retired or found something else to do. Most of the time when I see one, I can figure out who it belongs to.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Tom the Sawyer

We are out there, I swear we are.   ;)  It is an unusual sight though.  I frequently get people who drive along side on the interstate or try to flag me down.  I have my web address on both sides of the mill and on my truck.  I've even had them follow me to the client's home.  If I pull through a parking lot, or into a gas station, I'll usually end up handing out several business cards.   

Some will ask, "is that a sawmill?" when there are magnetic signs on the door of my truck that "Tom The Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service"... (here's your sign).  ::) There are a lot of people (even woodworkers) who had no idea such a machine existed and are very curious.  I am looking into pulling it as an entry in our local community parade next summer.  ;D
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Kcwoodbutcher

You've never driven down my street, I probably would have noticed.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

kelLOGg

More than 10 years ago I saw a mill set up sawing as I was driving I85. I know of 5 or 6 sawyers within 10 miles of me but I have never seen one on the road. I expect to draw a lot of attention as I pull my mill but I never do. To the general public we are just another machine on the road. Don't they know how important portable mills are? :D. I'm afraid we are the only ones who will notice. Oops - there is one recent exception: a guy approached me as I was setting up in an urban setting and wanted my contact info. Felt great.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

dgdrls

No mills for me,  plenty of logs trucks though.  I did watch my LT-10 go down the road in
the bed of its new owners truck :D

DGDrls

bandmiller2

Most portable bandmills are used stationary,only a handfull of roadies.Its worth having an axle under them just for shipping from the factory,just imagine a LT-70 delivered as a kit to wire and assemble.[not picking on WM] Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

AdamT

I've only seen one. It was heading north, I was heading south. I would guess an older LT40. The sun wasn't up yet so not for sure. I see plenty of log trucks though.

I too get a lot of stares rolling through town, or passer bys on the interstate.
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

justallan1

I've never seen one going down the road, but when I brought mine home in the back of the truck it was dark out and yet plenty of people in town know all about it.

rooster 58

when I lived in the Pittsburgh area, I only remember seeing one. Up here In 3 1/2 yrs, I,ve seen two. I'm not sure about the one last Oct., But I believe it was a Norwood. Then , two weeks ago about an hour from home I saw a Norwood for sure
    As far as logs, I live at the edge of The Allegheney Natl Forest, and State Game Lands no. 24. I see at least 5-6 loads go by my house every day, and when you go into town you can't hekp but see at least 2-3 loads.
    Funny thing about the mills, after Christmas I was on my way back from Ga. I kept seeing one in my rear view mirror. The son of a gun followed me all the way home ;D  8)  ;)

Tree Feller

I've never seen one being pulled down the road and I do a lot of driving. My monthly commute to shorebase is 430 miles.   :o
Cody

Logmaster LM-1 Sawmill
Kioti CK 30 w/ FEL
Stihl MS-290 Chainsaw
48" Logrite Cant Hook
Well equipped, serious, woodworking shop

Chuck White

I see a few mills on the road, there are 11 portable mills within 10 miles of my house!

No idea where they travel.

I still get lots of customers though!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

bama20a

Quote from: bandmiller2 on January 25, 2013, 07:31:46 AM
Most portable bandmills are used stationary,only a handfull of roadies.Its worth having an axle under them just for shipping from the factory,just imagine a LT-70 delivered as a kit to wire and assemble.[not picking on WM] Frank C.
Bandmiller is right (I think) ???.I drive over the road every day,All over the U.S.& very few times have seen one,Although I do travel mostly the interstate's.I would think that most of the mobile sawer's would be more on the back roads when going from job to job.
I've been told that I don't miss much as far as noticing things around me ;D,I sure see several from the interstate that are sit up stationary ;D
It is better to ask forgiveness than permission

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

terrifictimbersllc

Can't remember seeing one on the road since WM brought me mine, 12 years ago last week.  Except in my mirror.  :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Ocklawahaboy

For a small mileage fee, I'll be glad to tow my mill past the house of anyone who hasn't seen one, other than their own of course.  Might be a nice way to see the country(s).  My wife has always wanted to see New Zealand too.  That one will cost extra though. 

To answer the question, there are 3 other portable mills I know of in my county and two more in adjoining counties.  I have only once seen one on the road but have seen them set up at other locations from time to time.  I have to look into a basic biz license etc so I can start handing out cards and have signs for when I start towing mine around in a couple of weeks.

Thank You Sponsors!