iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TO 30 Ferguson - Logging Buggy?

Started by Saki, November 19, 2003, 09:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saki

Howdy! I have and old TO30 Fergie and am interested in making a logging arch/ logging buggy for it. Tractor is in pretty good shape  - about 30 hp. Am interested in making a log hauler to use behind it. Have seen several different versions , many for quad runners, etc. Will be hauling mostly small trees on my own small acreage. Anybody got any experience with this setup? Websites? Several questions  run through my mind about these:

Tire size and type?

Pipe vs I beam?

Size of pipe or I beam?

Looks like a safe method to move 1 log at a time over reasonable terrain. Any hazards that are not readily obvious?

Any info greatly appreciated.

Will be using primarily as an occasional method to move 1 log at a time to a yard before having a mobile mill in to cut the up. Logs would probably not be larger tha 2 feet diameter and 10 to 12 feet long.

beenthere

Saki (I like it warm!   ;D  )
I'd suggest doing a search on "logging arch" and look at the discussions there. I did that and found numerous hits that may provide you with some good information. I tried to select one that I could place here, but think it more productive for you to do it.

I used to have a TO30 and hauled a lot of logs out of the woods with a 3pt 'arch' and a set of logging tongs. Now I use a Deere I-match quick tach that has the top hook for the tongs and does the same thing.

I'll attach a picture of my old arch (no wheels, but it worked well).

I found the TO30 to be a bit clumsy to operate in the woods because the left brake pedal was on the left side, thus making a 'engage clutch and brake left wheel' activity a bit awkward, but it could (and had to be) done.  There was good power and pretty good weight on the front end with the TO30.

An arch with wheels will be less manueverable in the woods, but will be great once the log is attached.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Frank_Pender

I to have a TO 30 1951.  I purchased it when I was twenve from a neighbor and ppossed it ever since.  I did a great deal of flat land farming with that tractor and the first thing it did after purchasing was to put on front wheel weights; a hundred pounds on each rim.  That simple move has saved my life more than once since 1957. ;D  

The second strong sugggestion is to use a logging arch that is wheeled.  Something like Mark manufactures out here in Oregon.  (Future forestry products)  In using such a device you cut down on the possibility of rolling or tipping the tracor over backward if the one end of the log is not off the ground far enough.
Frank Pender

BW_Williams

I skid with my '55 TO 35(Harriet) and second Frank's front wheel weights.  I also use chains and have been able to go anywhere I need to.  On my to do list is a rollbar and mini trailer to keep both end of the log off the ground.  BWW
Support your local Volunteer Fire Dept.  (not by accident)
Support your local Ski Patrol (by snowboarding:)
Mayor of Millerdale, Washington, USA (by God)!

Thank You Sponsors!