iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Like to start a collection...

Started by inspectorwoody, April 03, 2004, 09:04:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

inspectorwoody

I am going to start my own collection of things that potray the Forest industry and was wondering if anybody had anything they would like to part with or could point me in a direction to find things. Interested in just about anything. I could prob start a list but it would be huge by the time I thought of this than that and or the course the other!!  ;D

In short such things as old photos, old chainsaws, two man saws, push poles etc. etc.

My goal is to have my own "museum" in my home.

So if anyone has anything, knows anyone or where I might find some things or can point me in the right direction please let me know.

Thanks a bunch everyone

Gadget

smwwoody

Remind close to the piggy roast and I will be sure to throw something in the truck for you.

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

sawwood

I have a old hand saw that i think was used for cutting
 fire wood. My dad had it when in lived in Ark. If you send
 me PM with the address will send it to you.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Corley5

Sounds like Jeff B's collection of junque ;D ;) 8) 8)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Frank_Pender

Just remember Woody, this adventure you are embarking on is just as contageous as samilling, and can be more expensive.  In my main sawmill building I have one wall that is 18' high and 50' long.  It is plastered with such things you are speaking about collecting.  I have as least 35 buck and falling saws hanging there as well as the tin hats of dear departed logger friends along with their pike polls and spring boards, saw sharpening vices (3), log branding irons, log oxen hoof trimmers, on and on and on and on and on and on and.......I also have three drag saws, and two, two man McCulough (sp) chain saws.

I wish you  the best in you new venture.  Let us know when you begin to build the special building to house all of your new treasures.
Frank Pender

Jeff

Its DanG contagious. I am going today to pick sumpthin up in bay city. Gadget another good source is old engine shows and the accompanying flea markets. They tend to have more stuff of interest then your average flea market.

here is a link to a thread started with a similar question.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=4573.0
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

redpowerd

gee, sounds like you need to take a trip up to see some amish auctions.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Jeff

Gadget, here are some recent additions to my collection. First a great foldin draw knife given to me by Duh Daune. Thanks Duh!

I went and picked this up today. Its a framed pit saw. Pretty excited to have it. Never saw another one and there is very little I can find on the web about them.

And another lumberjack figurine.

redpowerd

that knife is pretty slick, dont remember seeing one that folds.

your pitsaw looks to be in great condition, whats the compass type thingy at the bottom? ive never seen a picture of a pitsaw, just engravings.

where ya gunna hang it?
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

shopteacher

Boy oh boy, that's one neat saw Jeff.  Really looks to be in good condition. Have you done any work on it or did you find it in that shape?  I had a draw knife like the one Duane sent ya, think I sold it on ebay.  That was really a nice present.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Jeff

Saw is in as found condition. Its a little shakey in the joints but really cool. The compass thingy is bronze. I think it was inset in a floor somewhere. Found it in a flea market for a couple bucks.

Duane_Moore

8) 8) 8)Nice Pit Saw. good find. glad for ya. still looking for small Ax for  Teach. and any Big saws for ya guys, will find stuff for Inspector woody also, huh?  Duh---Duane      found about 3 saw viceses the other day, some old
village Idiot---   the cat fixers----  I am not a complete Idiot. some parts missing.

inspectorwoody

Thanks to everyone for the responses and information. I really appreacite it all and look forward to more.

Thanks again

Gadget

AtLast

Hey Jeff...that draw knife Duh Duane gave ya is WAY cool...I make rustic furniture and do it ALL with a draw knife....the fav. knife I use was my great grandads and is a fantastic kinfe but I like the 1 you have...by the way...I GOT A DECANTOR!!!!...finally found 1....didnt quite pay 8 bucks for it...but hey...I got 1... ;D

Bro. Noble

Don't know why you guys want to collect that old junky stuff anyhow ;D   Myself,  I'm saving up for a new recliner :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Bro. Noble

Hey,

I was just joshing,  thought maybe someone would object.  I must admit that I too enjoy those old artifacts.  

But,  I wasn't kidding about the recliner :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

I forget where I seen a pit saw. It was either at Kings Landing in Prince William, NB, Lumberman's Museum in Boisetown, NB, or the Acadian  Historic Settlement, oooorrr the Woodwright TV series on PBS.

Some pit sawyers from asia in postcards (not all cards show pit saws)
http://www.postcardman.net/wood.html

This may be of interest or a starting point to find info on pit saws, possibly some references. I don't own the book, but I have seen the PBS series some time ago.

{LINK}
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

I seen a pit saw in action when I went to Haiti in eighty. They didn't have a pit, but put the log up on a platform. The pit would have been hard to dig, up on that rocky mountain. ::)  Anyway, the thing looked like a lot of work for so little return.  Down there, anything that grows more than 4" dbh gets turned into "lumber."  ::)  It don't have to be straight, neither. Codes are a bit lax, down there.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Jeff

INTERRUPTED FOR A RUST REAPER PLUG! :D

The adjustment on that to tighten the blade was froze right up. I didnt put a wrench on it because I didnt want to scar it up. Put a few drops of Reaper on it, went back later the same day and it turned by hand. :D  I cant just be getting lucky. This stuff works!

sprucebunny

A picture led me to this thread and I thought I'd add some pictures of things I've collected. Mostly old tools and toolboxes.
[/img]

Stanley 45....have the blades, too.

And now for the mystery tool ;D Clue: it's not used on wood.

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

shopteacher

Sprucebunny, That there looks like a tool for stripping leather  for harness and such.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

sprucebunny

Well, I shoulda known that someone here would get it right off  ;)
Didn't really know what it was when I got it just thought it was cool and derringer-like ;D

oldsaw

Bunny, that Stanley 45 is a great collector's piece, but as far as a plane goes, is one of the biggest "pieces" they ever made.  It is cool to see someone of the fairer sex interested in tools though.  I'm impressed.

I had to pass on a Millers Falls corner brace this week.  $40.  It was in nice shape, but was just a bit too rich for my blood.  Same place had an old Stanley 5 1/2, but that too was "too rich" for me since the handle and knob were both broken, the adjustment wheel was rounded off, and the stud it was on was all stripped out on the end.  Rest was decent though.  I'da bought it for something less than $20, but I just got a really nice #7 even older than that one for $25.  Made it kind of hard.  So, I settled for a Shelton block plane that looks like it has hardly been used.  $10.

As I approach 50 planes, I've turned my attention more towards draw knives and spokeshaves.  Passed up a folding one not as nice as either of yours...too much money.  But got a pretty nice oldy for $5 at a garage sale.  And a nice little spokeshave for $10.

You can't beat old tools.  They don't build them like that any more.  Now storage for all this stuff can be an issue.  Ask me about that part later.  I'm stil working on it.

So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

sprucebunny

Oldsaw....I have to admit that I've never tried to use the 45 . I didn't pay a lot for the old tools I have, either. Haven't been actively collecting for 20 years ; have been too busy using more modern tools   ;)
But I enjoy having them . I'm particularly attracted to metal tools with filigree ( I think it's called ) on them and handmade wooden planes. Also have quite a few big handsaws and an ice saw.
Solved  the storage problem by keeping most of them in a big toolbox ( coffee table size) with a pine exterior and a mahogany interior and trim. Don't see the tools a lot but like having them.

Drawknives and spokeshaves should be easier to store ;D They aren't as lumpy  :D

woodhick

oldsaw,  I must agree with the room to store problem.  I just picked up a new "plane" for my shop.  I have been looking for a stanley #7 and can't find one so I guess I settle for this powermatic 225 ;D ;D ;D :D.  I guess the  10hp motor will save my arm. ::)
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Thank You Sponsors!