iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Intro. Expanding to mill urban lumber

Started by T-Rex, February 19, 2019, 09:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T-Rex

No more guest status, I'm now one of your newest members.

I got an outdoor wood boiler to heat my home a dozen years back, and I keep getting deeper and deeper into firewood.

It started with a Craigslist add for a free tree disposal dump. I got a few good quality tree service companies. and soon got more wood than I can expect to ever burn.

So, I started processing firewood for sale.  Of course I start to cry when I cut and split what could easily be beautiful lumber.

Now, I'm looking at purchasing my first bandsaw mill.  I get lots of 8-20" dia. maple, oak ash, elm, black walnut, along with the junk stuff.  My research so far is only based on size, but my primary concern is durability and/or replaceability for all the hardware I expect to run into.  This stuff all used to be in someone's yard supporting their tree house, clothes lines, gates and who knows what.

I'm hoping to get a few ideas on the best approach handle or avoid the obvious impending damage.
Confucius say:

Man who confuse shillelagh for fairy wand; see pixie dust, also.

Ianab

Quote from: T-Rex on February 19, 2019, 09:28:02 PMmy primary concern is durability and/or replaceability for all the hardware I expect to run into.  This stuff all used to be in someone's yard supporting their tree house, clothes lines, gates and who knows what.

Yup, you can expect a bit of that. 

The usual result of any small band saw running into hardware in the log is the the blade gets dulled and stops cutting well (or at all) The sawyer then says some bad words, and replaces the band.  But it's just the band that gets ruined, so the usual solution is a big box of spare bands on hand. If you hit fence wire or a couple of small nails, the band might only be dulled, and can be resharpened. If you hit a ceramic insulator, chances are it will be trashed. Either way, plenty of spare bands is the answer. 

You can scan the logs with a metal detector, but that's not 100%, and you have to weigh up the time spend scanning, vs the blades you might ruin.  So some folks just use the band as their metal detector, even if it's a "single use" model. Others will scan logs they suspect of having metal. If the thing lights up in multiple places, you push that log over to the burn pile. If nothing shows, then you risk it on the mill. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

T-Rex,welcome to the forum.
I would like it if I could find a company that would drop wood off here. But all the "dumps" take it for free around here.
You will need a cant dog or a peavey. Buy if from Logrite,sponsor on the left,nice people,made in the USA!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

T-Rex

We have free log and yard waste sites around here too.  But, they close in the winter, and they charge commercial tree services.  I guess I just lucked out.

As for the log handling, I am pretty well set.  I've needed to organize the stuff that just gets dumped in an open area. I do so with a compact tractor with front end loader,  cant hook, ATV winch, etc.  The one thing I might want to invest in might be a log arch in an attempt to minimize the embedded dirt.
Confucius say:

TKehl

A metal detector is a good idea.  Not perfect, but will save a lot of sharpening.

To go with this a bucket of tools is helpful including, a crescent 56 nail puller, vice grips, chisel, mallet, hatchet, etc.

Plunge cuts with the chainsaw, then some chisel/hatchet work, then grip pull and rescan.  
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

T-Rex

I never thought of the metal detector.  It doesn't sound foolproof, but, could save a lot of disastrous cuts.  Do you have any suggestions for a good one; or should I just check with the local treasure hunting crowd?
Confucius say:

GullyBog

I played around with a Garrett pro-pointer.  I just laid a board over top of a steel pin (1/8" diameter).  I got up to three inches of wood piled on before the detector wouldn't hit.  This one is a wand about 6" long and fits in the pocket pretty well.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

T-Rex

Thanks, GullyBog, I'll look into that one.  It sure sounds a lot less cumbersome than what I had envisioned.  
Confucius say:

Fred in Wisc

I cut almost exclusively urban trees on my little hobby mill, and I've found this cheap harbor freight metal detector works pretty darn well.  Plus it pays for itself once you save 2-3 band blades, and mine has survived being left out in the rain for a few hours.

https://www.harborfreight.com/home-outdoor/home/security-safes/9-volt-metal-detector-wand-94138.html

Stephen1

Metal detectors help. I use one similiar Fred. It will measure down about 3", but it needs scanning off the mill as I find it pivks up the metl in the mill. THey are good for finding the surface nails.  My neighbour has a 3,000$ model from Baileys, he can pinpoint the hardware pretty good and pretty deep. He has a Peterson with a slabbibg attachment.
I find the absolute best metal detector is a brand new Blade. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

dhjmd

Depending on the size and length of your logs, of course...I use the XP Deus.  It's an animal when it comes to it's primary function, metal-detecting  :)  

Works out great when two of your hobbies complement one another!!
8)

Thank You Sponsors!