iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not dead, just busy, very busy engineering and reengineering and rereengineering

Started by arnold113, April 12, 2015, 02:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pineywoods

Arnold, it's perfectly normal to mess up a blade or 2 (or 3 or 4). Don't trash them, first time you come this way, bring them. You might be surprised what I can fix. Maybe we can arrange a visit to CaseyK, he's about 30 minutes from me. Been trying to do that for some time, he works a 4 week on/4 week off day job off shore. Seems like every time he's home, I'm snowed under with some hurry-up project.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

fishpharmer

Arnold, very impressive sawmill build indeed.  Takes an impressive skillset to build such a complex mill.  I commend you. 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

RADDA.DADDA

Gday Arnold 113

Firstly i want to congratulate you on a wonderful creation that shows your ability to think and re think ......then come up with something that is original....this is clear on many parts of your mill. I dare not ask how many man hours you have put into this but ......it must have been a labour of love. WOW.....really love all the little inventive bits.
I'm usually a lurker on this forum trying to learn but you forced me out.

All the very best with your teething issues and keep up the great work.
John

arnold113

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. It really means a lot to me.
I first started, about 5 - 6 years ago, to build a saw mill (just a small, simple mill), but I never do things the simple way. The project started growing, and growing until you see the results years later. I only worked on it a little at a time the first few years but the last year I've worked on it day and night. I've had to build it mostly out of metal I got at a salvage yard because being retired the money just isn't there for things such as this. The way I've done things a lot of times was dictated by what I found at the salvage yard.
I'm always ready for visitors so just give me a call and come on by.  Thanks again.. Arnold.
DIY band saw mill: four post, 25 HP gas engine, 32" x 18' portable, 24 vdc and hydraulic controls, pineywoods log turner, hyd log loader. RF remote controls for mill.  DIY set works.

Magicman

Thanks for you comment RADDA.DADDA, (John).  I suspect that you have much information and knowledge that you could share.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

vfauto

Thank you for the info, great job!

Quote from: arnold113 on April 13, 2015, 11:59:23 PM
CaseyK, Yes the motors are 24 volt wheelchair motors but I removed the brakes. I needed to mount encoders on the motors for feedback to the controller. The controller accepts commands from a PC or microcomputer and then tells the motor drive what position to go to and at what speed. It also keeps track of where the motor is by way of the encoder feedback. The controller is called a Kangaroo and the PWM motor drive is called a Sabertooth. The drive and controller takes care of two motors. They were engineered for robots (as in robot wars). They are sold by Dimension Engineering.
I assembled a remote control using the two 12 channel remote transmitters so I now have a 24 channel RF remote. When I finish up the microcomputer program and get the motor controller tuned I will be able to run the bandsaw from the remote.
I uploaded a few more pictures today so I'll post them.

This is my diesel drip band lube. It is applied via a felt wick.

I also have a water lube/coolant system using the same felt wick.

You can see the two tubes coming down from above. I just hook up which one I want to use. The felt wick wets both sides of the band.

This is a shot from under the band carriage. You can see the linear positioner for the engine v belts tensioner.

I was concerned that my carriage might tip over so I made some brackets that hook under the rails.

vfauto, The next three pictures and a drawing will show how my log stops work.

The definition of insanity is to do the same things over and over and expect a different result!

Thank You Sponsors!