iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw bearing housing

Started by Tripp, August 05, 2012, 10:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tripp

I recently have developed play between the bearing and housing on the input side of the mandrel on my Belsaw. There is enough play to allow the outer bearing race to spin within the housing. Previously the saw was setup, for many years, with a belt system that forced the bearing rearward locking it into the housing. After converting it to a direct drive system the bearing is loose in the housing. Today I installed shims between the housing and outer race to tighten it up. It is working well for now. Short of converting to a pillow block are there any other long term solutions?

Tripp

Larry

Loctite has some products that may work for you.  Measure how much play you have and than check the Loctite specs.  Basically its gluing the race in the housing.  I've only done it once so not much experience with how it works.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

ALWOL

Short of replacing the bearing and housing, LocTite 690 bearing mount should work well for your application. It will solidly fill voids up to 60 thousandths if my memory is correct. I have used the stuff on many occasions and have never been disapointed.

Alan
There's a big difference between staying busy and making money.

bandmiller2

Chances are temporary fixes will pound out in a short time install a new complete bearing and housing and be done with it.Arbor bearings are critical and should never be jury rigged.Belsaws use a standard flange type bearing,best service will come from a known brand made here. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shelbycharger400

go with a 2 piece "cap" style,  they are very nice in case you have to take it apart!
the factory style ones belsaws came with are no fun

Tripp

Thank you for the suggestions. I can easily slide in a shim made from an aluminum can. Not sure loctite will take care of it , but worth a try. The ol belsaw is cutting so well I hate to take her apart and line everthing up again. Bearing housing replacement
seems to be the long term solution. I just have to get in the right mood to tackle it.

Tripp

Meadows Miller

Gday Tripp The can fix will do but Im with Frank Id just whack a new one on It does not take long and bearings are cheap in the States  Mate  ;)

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

Thank You Sponsors!