iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This weather..........................................

Started by Woodhauler, November 30, 2011, 07:03:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

treefarm

I'm with you there! A half inch of rain, after a slow melting snow-our woods in central NH is a mudhole! Same boat up there I'd imagine. Logging Hemlock (or trying to) and leaving the skidder out in the woods and cutting and piling logs out there until a serious freeze-I've already screwed up the skid roads enough this fall. Until then, no $$$ coming in.
Treefarm

HiTech

We still have Robins flying around and the woods are a mud hole. The skidders go through it ok but the logs are a mess when they get to the landing. Ya...we need a little cold to firm things up.

chain

We had our first snow of the season Monday night and also our first power outage as a line broke with snow-ice. Notifying our local power company is not an easy thing anymore. 800 numbers somewhere two hundred miles away, talking to a 'puter...

Here's sorta the way it went:

'puter: enter zip code..press star....press #...press 3 if residence...press 4 if business...press 2 if not a power outage...press 1 if you need to talk with a customer rep. "Your call may be recorded" press *60 to talk with a rep".[five minute wait no elevator music]

Rep: "state your zip-code, is this outage your residence?.."we show no power outage in your area"

WE the customer: We have a line down, no power.

Rep: You have a line down? Where does this line go to?

We the customer: Our house.

Rep: Are you sure you have a line down?

We the customer: Yes we're sure, the line is laying crossing our drive.

Rep: Stay inside, are you in danger?

We the customer: Only from freezing.

Rep: Our service personnel will be at your location 'shortly'.

Five hours later a crew arrives, repairs lines, checks with us an says, dang! you guys had some ice down here didn't ya? [where's this guy from, I thought?]
We the customer: Yes, we have ice quite often, thanks for coming! :)

treefarm

Chain-maybe they brought the line crew in from Bangladesh, where all the customer service you get on the phone seems to be these days!
Treefarm

Autocar

The weather S###s here also you about need a boat to get around then we got four/five inches of wet snow. Isn't that so true about the calls going into Bangaldesh  ;D The last time I called a outage in the call went into a place in Minnesota.Getting to be a crazy world anymore  ::) A pretty long way from Ohio, when I worked for the power company the local police dept. would take the calls. But back than if I didn't know the person I would recognize there face. Now Iam not sure who my neighbor is a half mile from me. The world has changed alot.
Bill

Woodhog

Here, (Southern Maritimes of Canada) it does not freeze up anymore,  it is a thing of the past.

Lakes are open all winter, this fall at the 30th of November there are still woodticks crawling around, bats flying at night.

To get a few days where the ground is frozen in the woods is almost impossible.

Climate has changed, why I don't know....

Mud and mess are the norm.............

Cedarman

REMC office is 25 miles away. They always answer unless the line is busy. Usually tell you what is going on and when they will get to you.  If huge outage , then it is just wait until they get around.  Crews are always nice and do a good job.
You guys make me feel lucky.
One time after a huge wind that took down a lot of lines, they had our 3 phase up in about 12 hours.  Our single line to the house got fixed one week later.  With all they had to fix, that was quick.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ed_K

Muddy mess here too.I called in a tree top on power line using my tree warden # and it took them 6 weeks to come remove it.My neighbor's been waiting two week for them to come rehook thier power after a remodel job on their house.Bet if we called the elect co in Tx. we'd get better service.They were here in ma. for the outage before halloween.
Ed K

Bobus2003

Pouring Rain at my house, couple inches of snow and still falling 30 miles away at the jobsite

Thank You Sponsors!