iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Seaster Leanda got a Bar!

Started by Jeff, September 14, 2002, 03:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

I just got a message off my answering machine from my very excited older sister Lynda. It said "You are the second person I called, and I still can't tell anybody I got a bear! Nobody is home!"

She said it is on the small side for the cabin bears, about 150 lbs. The 4 bears shot in previous years there were 300 lbs and up. A 150 lb bear is great in my book. She is the first in the family to get one, all the others were friends that got permits. This is the first year a family member has gotten one. I am proud of my Seaster. By the way, the Seaster comes from what I used to say to pester her.

Here is what a 150 lb bear looks like. He was mounted by Tom Buckingham of Forest Insurance Center Agency and he travels now with the MFRA eductional display. Hes my buddy. ;D 150 is bigger then it sounds.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

whitepe

Jeff,

The CAT hat musta brought Lynda good luck cause
no Bar would want to tangle with a CAT :D
Is the rug going in the Bar Room?

I still remember when I was four years old the summer of 1956 when a Bar crawled in the driver's window of Dad's 1952 Ford while we were unloading our luggage at Canyon Village in Yellowstone Natl Park. We had just came from
the village grocery store and had two loaves of bread
on the front seat.  

Mom and Dad left home with $300 and we were on the trip for
two weeks. We stayed in Motels, cooked meals with
a portable propane stove and when we got home Mom
and Dad had $5 left.  I think gasoline was 19.9 cents per gallon and we had lots of fun reading all of the Burma Shave
signs along the road.

Anyway,  Give my Congrats to Lynda.  
By the way, didn't Davey Crockett kill a BAR when he was
only three?

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Don P

Michelle sent me this...the bears might be in trouble.

Mr. Ryan DeVries

2088 Dagget

Pierson, MI 49339  

SUBJECT: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Montcalm County  

Dear Mr. DeVries:

It has come to the attention of the Department of Environmental Quality that there has been recent unauthorized activity on the above referenced parcel of property. You have been certified as the legal landowner and/or contractor who did  the unauthorized activity:  

Construction and maintenance of two wood debris dams across the outlet stream of Spring Pond. A permit must be issued prior to the start of this type of activity. A review of the Department's files shows that no permits have been issued.  

Therefore, the Department has determined that this activity is in violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101 to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, annotated.  

The Department has been informed that one or both of the dams partially failed during a recent rain event, causing debris and flooding at downstream locations.  We find that dams of this nature are inherently hazardous and cannot be permitted. The Department therefore orders you to cease and desist all activities at this location,  and to restore the stream to a free-flow condition by removing all wood and brush forming the  dams from the stream channel. All restoration work shall be completed no later than January 31 2002.

Please notify this office when the restoration has been completed so that  a follow-up site inspection may be scheduled by our staff. Failure to comply with this request or any further unauthorized activity on the site may result in this case being referred for elevated enforcement action.  

We anticipate and would appreciate your full cooperation in this matter.  Please feel free to contact me at this office if you have any questions.  

Sincerely, David L. Price  

District Representative  

Land and Water Management Division  

This is the response -------------

Dear Mr. Price,

Re: DEQ File No. 97-59-0023; T11N; R10W, Sec. 20; Montcalm County

Your certified letter dated 12/17/97 has been handed to me for response.  First of all, Mr. Ryan DeVries is not the legal landowner and/or Contractor at 2088 Dagget, Pierson, Michigan. I am the legal owner and a couple of  beavers are in the (State unauthorized) process of constructing and maintaining two wood "debris" dams across the outlet stream of my Spring  Pond.

While I did not pay for, authorize, nor supervise their dam project, I think they would be highly offended that you call their skillful use of natures building materials "debris." I would like to challenge your department to attempt to emulate their dam project any time and/or any place you choose.  I believe I can safely state there is no way you could ever match their dam skills, their dam resourcefulness, their dam ingenuity, their dam persistence, their dam determination and/or their dam work ethic.  

As to your request, I do not think the beavers are aware that they must first fill out a dam permit prior to the start of this type of dam activity.  My first dam question to you is: (1) Are you trying to discriminate against  my Spring Pond Beavers or (2) do you require all beavers throughout this  State to conform to said dam request?  If you are not discriminating against these particular beavers, through the Freedom of Information Act, I request completed copies of all those other applicable beaver dam permits that have been issued. Perhaps we will see if there really is a dam violation of Part 301, Inland Lakes and Streams, of the Natural Resource and Environmental Protection Act, Act 451 of the Public Acts of 1994, being sections 324.30101  to 324.30113 of the Michigan Compiled Laws, annotated.  

I have several concerns. My first concern is - aren't the beavers entitled to legal representation? The Spring Pond Beavers are financially destitute and are unable to pay for said representation-so the State will have to provide them with a dam lawyer. The Department's dam concern that either one or both of the dams failed during a recent rain event causing flooding is proof that this is a natural occurrence, which the Department is required to protect.  In other words, we should leave the Spring Pond Beavers alone rather than harassing them and calling their dam names. If you want the  stream "restored" to a dam free- flow condition please contact the beavers - but  if you are going to arrest them, they obviously did not pay any attention  to your dam letter they being unable to read English.

In my humble opinion, the Spring Pond Beavers have a right to build their unauthorized dams as long as the sky is blue, the grass is green and water flows downstream. They have more dam rights than I do to live and enjoy Spring Pond. If the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Protection lives up to its name, it should protect the natural resources (Beavers) and the environment (Beavers' Dams). So, as far as the beavers and I are concerned, this dam case can be referred for more elevated enforcement action right now. Why wait until 1/31/2003? The Spring Pond Beavers may be under the dam ice then and there will be no way for you or your dam staff to contact/ harass them then.

In conclusion, I would like to bring to your attention to a real environmental quality (health) problem in the area. It is the bears! Bears are actually defecating in our woods. I definitely believe you should prosecute the defecating bears and leave the beavers alone. If you are going to investigate the beaver dam, watch your step! (The bears are not careful where they dump!)

Being unable to comply with your dam request, and being unable to contact you on your dam answering machine, I am sending this response to your dam office.

Jeff

My Bruder-in-law Pete Gotta Bear too!

Pete and Lynda stopped on the way home from the cabin tonight. Pete got a 280 lb bear Friday. I stayed home cause of the sniffles. DANG.

Here is a picture of Leenda's Bar

Kevin

I can`t see it too well but that looks like one o them thar marleen tirdy o sump`m er udders.
Did you have to pry that rifle out of her hands?  Looks like she`s ready to unload on it just in case it gets up and starts running again.  :D
Way to go Leenda & Pete.

Jeff

356 not many of them out there. DanG nice gun. I shoot a 35. Pete got his out of Lynda's stand Kevin. Maybe all that Canadian blood pulled em in. There was another bear hit the bait today they said.

I sure hope my preference points kick in next year. I want my turn!

Ron Scott

Do you have more information or stats on the hunt? What were they using for bait? What time of day were the bears harvested? What timber type were they hunting in, swamp land, high ground, transition zone? Elevated or ground blind etc.?

I like any details for my bear ecology information.
~Ron

Jeff

Yup, I do know all that.

Bait: Dunkin dounuts and pales of frosting and berry filling. MMmm wish I was a bear.

First bear shot 8:15 AM
2nd Bear Shot 7:15 PM

Both shot from same elevated platform that Kevin bled all over. Bears never had a clue. Both were video taped.

Transition area. Food plot edge, on the edge of tag alder and spruce dropping off into a cedar swamp.

Jeff

By the way, the filling and frosting was not still in the pales. It was dumped in a hole and covered with brush and logs.

Bibbyman

Love those Marlin levers.  Got a couple of old ones and a couple of newer (pre-safety button) models.  I gave Mary a new 39M 22 for her birthday one time and she traded it for a DanGed ol' horse. >:(
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Scott

Thanks for the details. You can now have some bear mounts or rugs for the cabin, though a later season kill makes a better rug.

I was just looking at my first mounted bear head above my office desk. The date on it is September 11, 1958, shot in the Paint River area of Iron County in the western U.P.

It was shot with my dad's rifle, a 38-55 Marlin lever action. Fred Aman, a taxidermist in Long Lake Wisconsin mounted the head. I can still remember it all just like it was yesterday, but 44 years ago.

Tht's the only one I've had mounted though.
~Ron

Jeff

Ron, what is your "Bear ecology information"?

Bibbyman

Son Chris tried being a hunting guide out in Montana for one season. During the summer he took people on trail rides, fishing in the mountains, and week-long camping trips.  Said he'd always get a big tip at the end of the ride if they seen bear.  

Said it was a standard guide joke to point out bear droppings along the trail and declare them from a black bear or grizzly bear.  They'd always ask how he could tell the difference.  "Well, black bears mostly eat grubs, berries, and nuts - you can tell by their droppings.  Grizzly droppings often have pieces of eyeglass frames, belt buckles, buttons, etc." :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Scott

Jeff,

Are you sure it wasn't Kevin's blood on the stand that attracted the two bear in?

I've worked a bit in black bear management as Ecosystem Team Leader on the Huron-Manistee National Forests before I retired in 1995. I worked with several bear biologists and wildlife researchers to help define bear habitat and travel corridors to and from breeding areas so became more aware of black bear habitat areas and continue the interest.

Mitchell Swamp in the nearby area is a prime breeding area for black bear here and we have increased the bear population in this part of the state with improved management and public information.

I continue to be interested in where hunters make a harvest and how it was done, whether with bait or dogs, etc.

We have 25 plus bears running around with tracking collars in this part of the Manistee National Forest. They are tracked through their travel cooridors, bait stations, den checks in the spring etc, for continued infornation gathering.

If you ever want an excellent program on the black bear for a meeting, club gathering, or whatever, contact Carol Neilson of the Huron-Manistee in Cadillac. she will come with her bear Cindy to provide a very interesrting program. Feel free to tell her I referred you.

You might also want to go on a den check to get some photos etc. for the Forum. Maybe I'll put some on when I have time.

~Ron

Kevin

It could have been Pete`s blood, he was bleeding too.
I asked if someone could rush me to the hospital just before I blacked out and they all said they had already planned to go to the beach !  :-/

Kevin

Jeff

I'll be buying that DVD.

Fact: Peggy, the gal from Escanaba that made the Forestry Forum poster we had at Woodmizer also made all the banners that appear in the Move during the football field scene.

Jeff

Ron can you arrange for a den check trip? I'd love to go.

Ron Scott

I'll check and see what they have scheduled and when.
~Ron

Thank You Sponsors!