iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge cherry slabs

Started by Busysawyer, June 19, 2018, 10:09:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busysawyer

I am currently working on grade sawing a decent amount of cherry for a wholesale buyer. He wants everything cut 4/4. All of the logs i will be cutting are my own that I harvested myself. I was planning on keeping about 1k bf of some nice wide boards for our future retail inventory.  While sawing today I had a 40in diameter log that I kept thinking about taking a few live edge slabs from.  Is there any market for live edge cherry slabs? Also is there a retail market for 8/4 boards? I've talked to a couple people locally and they haven't really heard of anyone doing live edge cherry. I know it's not high demand like the walnut slabs but does anyone think I should take a few nice slabs or maybe some nice mantle cuts?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

YellowHammer

Yes.  
There is a market.  We sell them.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Busysawyer

Thank you YH. What thickness do you move the most of?

Brad_bb

Make you both you and the seller understand what 4/4means.  What is the final dimension they need to clean up to when planed?4/4 on my mill via woodmizer's crank would yeild a 7/8" board.  If it needs to finish at 3/4", they you probably want a 1" plus rough sawn board.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

YellowHammer

I mill cherry to 2 3/8" to yield a 2 inch dried and planed live edge slab.  Cuts must be away from the sapwood, and away from the pith.
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Busysawyer

Brad, I am cutting 4/4 at 1 1/8 inches which from what other sawyers tell me is industry standard.  Everyone I've talked to tells me they cut 4/4 at the 1 1/8 but depending who you ask they cut 8/4 at 2 1/4 or 2 3/8 inches. They only want 4/4 on this order but told me in the future if they order 8/4 to cut it 2 1/4 inches. The grader who is also the purchaser for the company came out here Monday and measured a bunch of boards and said they were all spot on. He commented that he sees a lot of thick and thin boards from bandmills and said I must have mine dialed in well. I have my alignment set within 1/32 of an inch and my mill cuts extremely accurately.  I have been very happy with the quality of cut this lt 70 is putting out. 
Thanks YH , will do. My dad wants a few for a coffee table and some end tables and I'll cut about a dozen to keep around.

Lawg Dawg

Cherry is beautiful, but watch out for the bugs...they love to get under that cherry bark, must be sweet wood
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

thecfarm

Quote from: Busybeaver on June 20, 2018, 11:55:08 PM
 The grader who is also the purchaser for the company came out here Monday and measured a bunch of boards and said they were all spot on. He commented that he sees a lot of thick and thin boards from bandmills and said I must have mine dialed in well.
Careful. Words like that will get you more business. ;D  Good job!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Yellowhammer how do you make a live edge slab without sapwood in cherry?
I just sold my first slab 2" thick, 12" average width 8' long for 96 bucks, then the buyer wanted it ripped in two and cut to 4' lengths.
go figure.
This was my narrowest one.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

WDH

Having considerable sapwood only on one face is a recipe for cupping.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Quote from: WDH on June 21, 2018, 07:15:26 AM
Having considerable sapwood only on one face is a recipe for cupping.

smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup

The best cherry slabs come from about 1/3 into the log, i.e a couple 4/4 boards deep from the opening face, no sapwood on a face, balanced sapwood on the live edges, well away from the the pith, and generally shallow enough so there are no knots from the deeper heartwood.  I will cut them to 2 3/8" and when they are dry they won't have cup, very little bow and will plane cleanly to 2".

I may only get two or generally no more than four high quality cherry slabs per log.
YellowHammerisms:

WDH

It makes sense to only go with the best slabs in cherry since it has so many problems, i.e. sapwood cupping and awful pith cracking.  One of the very worst. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!