iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Digging water line up!!!

Started by Woodhauler, February 23, 2015, 10:17:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhauler

Been frozen or crushed for 4 days! Tryed to un thaw it, stops 28 feet out! Time to drill and blast!
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

beenthere

Tried hooking the welder up to it?  (if it isn't plastic pipe)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Brutal! what a pain the rear that is,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Woodhauler

Quote from: beenthere on February 23, 2015, 10:47:45 AM
Tried hooking the welder up to it?  (if it isn't plastic pipe)
Black plastic!Its crushed close to the house.
2013 westernstar tri-axle with 2015 rotobec elite 80 loader!Sold 2000 westernstar tractor with stairs air ride trailer and a 1985 huskybrute 175 T/L loader!

Hilltop366

I ran my water line (and pump power) in a 4" PVC drain pipe from the drilled well (with pit-less adapter) up through the floor, this helps in two ways. It protects the pipe from being crushed and can be changed by only digging up at the well. I suppose if it freezes I could blow warm air down the 4" pipe. I figure it is well worth the cost of the PVC pipe.

Best of luck getting your water back on.

21incher

That stinks with the deep frost line this year. Good luck.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

loggah

Ive thawed out plastic line by running a smaller plastic line back thru it and forcing hot water thru the smaller line, takes a bit of patience but lots easier then digging frost. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

r.man

Woodhauler, do you know it is crushed? If it is frozen it can be thawed from inside, I have done it often. It is easiest if you have a full 40 gal + hot water heater on site. Make sure it is up to temp, turn it off electrically, hook a hose to the drain tap and a compressor line to a hot water tap to use the compressed air to force the hot water out the hose. I use a piece of 1/2 inch pex pipe with a hose adapter crimped on one end and a cheap plastic ball valve to control the flow. Shove the pex in the water line until it stops, turn on the hot water about 1/4 stream and wait while pushing slightly on the pex. If there is ice the pex with move slightly after a few seconds if the water is hot. You need to keep a pail at the end of the well pipe since whatever water you put in is going to come back out. I like to gauge the temp of the returning water after a minute or two. I don't want it too hot since the supply is limited but if the flow is too small the returning water will be very cold and the melting will be very slow. I can generally melt 10 to 20 ft of ice with less than 40 gallons in about 30 minutes. I could talk you through it if you want.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

thecfarm

I have sold small plastic pipe to 3 people so far. One wanted 90 feet. The 90 foot guy was a logger. They was driving over the line and it froze. They got it thawed out and told the owner to leave the water running. He forgot one night.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Our local rental store rents wallpaper steamers as well as hard plastic pipe about ½'' diameter.I've thawed pipes many times with steam.I'd certainly try that or the hot water method before blasting and digging.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

r.man

I have used the wallpaper steamer once, it worked well. It is an excellent choice if there is no water on hand or in the case where I used it if water on the floor is a big concern.  The disadvantage of the steamer is that the rent is a one use fee and for me I have to drive 1/2 hr each way to pick up and drop off. This time of year there is also the chance that it is not available. I probably would have used it 3 times but twice it was already out. I should just make one. The one from the rent all is just a horizontal insulated tank with a 1500 watt 120 v threaded hot water heater element in it low down with a hose connection high up and a weighted water fill cap that acts as a pressure relief.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

47sawdust

Woodhauler-
Any luck with your water line? I'm hoping for the best,water line freeze ups are right at the bottom of my list.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

69bronco

I used to have a plastic line that would freeze up- was down 4'. Built a bonfire over the freeze spot, lots of hardwood. When it burned to coals I covered it with some old tin. Had water the next morning!

Woodhauler

Quote from: 47sawdust on February 26, 2015, 06:50:33 AM
Woodhauler-
Any luck with your water line? I'm hoping for the best,water line freeze ups are right at the bottom of my list.
All better! It bwas froze 5-6 ft down with frost! Heaved a rock up into the line! 600 bucks digging it out!

47sawdust

The deep frost is really a problem this year.The city of Montpelier,Vt.is urging residents on their municipal system to leave their water running to reduce freeze up problems.
Glad to hear you got your water back,*DanG rocks!
Mick

luvmexfood

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 23, 2015, 11:52:24 AM
I ran my water line (and pump power) in a 4" PVC drain pipe from the drilled well (with pit-less adapter) up through the floor, this helps in two ways. It protects the pipe from being crushed and can be changed by only digging up at the well. I suppose if it freezes I could blow warm air down the 4" pipe. I figure it is well worth the cost of the PVC pipe.

Best of luck getting your water back on.
Little off subject but 30 years ago the black plastic pipe was not as good as you can get today. Subject to burst even in summer. We completly dug out my exFIL's by hand, maybe 100', from his basement to the meter. Can't remember exact dimensions but we installed him a smaller black plastic inside a larger one. Any problems all he had to do was go the meter and turn off, unclamp and then unclamp in basement. Pull old pipe out thru the larger pipe, push in a new one clamp on each end and good to go. Made fixing his waterline a breeze.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!