iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a Walnut Table

Started by WDH, November 03, 2008, 09:47:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Radar67

I doubt it says that BT. I haven't seen anything there that would match that quality.  ;) And, I've never seen walnut there.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

You guys noticed the stamp to eh?  ;D That's what gives it higher value 200 years from now. ;) Nice method for a drawer, I see similar construction, but dovetailed sometimes. I can't imagine why they dovetail it unless they figure if ya turn it upside down the drawers will jump the slides. I suppose it's conceivable, but I don't see too many used upside down. Another reason might be if the drawer is loaded heavy the front might tip down. Chest of drawers I could see it happening, but not on the coffee table unless someone used the drawer for a chair. Then they need a slap upside the head. I've never used it for all wooden drawers and slides because they have always been small or short drawers.

Nice work WDH. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

DanG

Maybe it's for the same reason as the stamp, SD.  Built better than it has to be adds value too. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Radar,

That is a stamp, but it is not H..D.  That is my stamp that I had made (from Rockler).  It is made using a branding iron.  Maybe I can get a close up for BT:).  Y'all are so perceptive ;D. 

SD,

I have used a dovetail before, but it does not add any value to the operation of the drawer in my opinion.  Look at the second pic and you will see a top center guide that keeps the drawer from tipping out as you open it fully.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Yes, I missed that upper rail. I agree that the dovetail doesn't add to functionality. But I think what Dang was getting at was the fancy extras often time adds value. Your a fan of the Antiques Road Show. But, who really knows and appreciates value? Usually the guy that wants it the most and isn't afraid to invest some green. I've seen some pieces on that show that I would call junk and others would pay thousands. And often the most detailed pieces are undervalued. ;)

Dodgy Loner

Have the holidays slowed the progress on the table?  We still don't know what the top looks like ;D ;D ;D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

I slowed to because I hate wasting good stove wood in the shop when it's barely freezing and I hate working with cold metal, so I'm beat. :D

WDH

Pigman, the deed is done (oh ye of little faith)!!  Finished before Christmas ;D

This table is for the lovely Mrs. Customsawyer.  Lorraine and Jake have become good friends.

Merry Christmas!

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

That looks great.  8)  The picture was worth the long wait. ;D Everyone is finishing their projects but me. :(  I had better start working harder on my project. Maybe I can finish before SwampDonkey. ;) I am going to finish my project before Christmas, just not sure which Christmas. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Burlkraft

Hey Danny,

That's a beauty  8)  8)  8)

You are a true craftsman.

Excellent work and it will be a great present for Mes. Customsawyer  ;D  ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Texas Ranger

DanG it, I am just starting on my daughters book cabinet.  Wont be walnut.  Wont be done by Christmas.  Took a while for her to make up her mind. 

Good (fantastic) job, Danny.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dodgy Loner

I'm not one to talk about not competing projects.  I just make sure I don't put any pictures up until the thing is finally finished.  I've been working on a cabinets for my parent's cookbooks since this spring ::).

Great job on the table, and I'm glad you got it done by Christmastime :).
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Left Coast Chris

Superb.  Good to know you can do poly over penetrating oil.  I just tried Verithane Natural penetrating oil (& varnish mixture) with oil based quick drying satin poly over it and it appears to be a good combo (so far).
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Norm

That looks great Danny!

I keep thinking if I hang around you guys long enough some of this talent will rub off on me.....so far no luck. :D

Radar67

That's a real nice looking table Danny.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

SwampDonkey

You really put the shine to that walnut kiddo.  ;D Looks great.  :)

That customsawyer guy and his wife must be something else.   8) Even after complaining about them burnt burgers, he's still first in line. :D

metalspinner

8) 8)

That finish looks great!  That walnut just sparkles with lots of red. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Thank You Sponsors!