iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Magic Bucks 2019

Started by Magicman, November 04, 2019, 09:05:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

Grandson got this non-typical yesterday

Said it weighed 190 lbs which is heavy for our normal.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

petefrom bearswamp

Nice!
I have hunted the north woods for 6 days now and not seen a hair.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

I guess that due to my knee surgery on the 18th....

I will miss being in my normal opening morning (Nov. 23rd) stand this year.  I have spent many enjoyable "woods waking up" hours here and have also taken some very nice bucks from this perch.

I should be able to hunt from the "Straw House", etc. later in the season which actually goes until the end of January.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

I messed around and let 2 nice young does go today. One in morning and another in pm at different stand. My little doe fawn was back as she has been every day up there. I kept waiting for bigger doe or buck and let them walk. A buck made a scrape 60 yards from my upper shooting house so one is there somewhere. I chased off  a few doves and 3 turkeys raiding my feeder.

I visited my feed supplier today and he says he and his son saw a doe with 2 week old fawns near his house. Way out of normal cycle. I don't know if they will survive the winter. I doubt they have the coats for it yet and snow would sure do them in.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Due to my knee situation, my "Cabin time" has been limited this year so there is much "stuff" still undone.  I did go yesterday and did the final bushhogging.  I didn't get everything done, but I got done everything that will be done.  ::)

Magicman

Due to my knee surgery and family situations, we did not have our traditional deer "opening day" activities at the Cabin this year.  A Grandson has taken one buck plus a doe so he decided to stir up the action today:

Yup, instead of Magic Bucks, he made it Magic Ducks.  ;D

Nebraska

Nice haul of ducks there. Was going up to the blind this evening, but partner and I  called it off.  50 mph wind gust forecasted up there, blind is boat in only with all the high water and that is not a smart place to be with air moving that fast.

Magicman

A Grandson got this 8 point Magic Buck yesterday evening.  I have not gotten the measurements yet but surely I am looking at ~10" G2's & G3's and ~17"inside spread.  I am also guessing that he was 5½ or 6½ years old.

Regardless of the measurements, this is the most evenly matched Magic Buck ever taken from my property.  The smile says it all.

EDIT to add measurements:

Inside spread = 18½"
Main beam lengths =  23 7/8" (L) and 22 3/8" (R)
G2's = 11 5/8" (L) and 11 3/8" (R)
G3's = 9 3/8" (L)and 9" (R)
Base= 5"
Rough score = 141 5/8

Peter Drouin

Do you just clean the ducks and freezes them? MM
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Yes, he dresses, vacuum seals, and freezes them.  At least that is what happens to the ones that don't get immediately roasted.  food6

Ron Scott

~Ron

Magicman

OK, the measurements:

Inside spread = 18½"
Main beam lengths =  23 7/8" (L) and 22 3/8" (R)
G2's = 11 5/8" (L) and 11 3/8" (R)
G3's = 9 3/8" (L)and 9" (R)
Base= 5"
Rough score = 141 5/8

I knew from the picture that it was well balanced L & R and the actual measurements confirm it.

petefrom bearswamp

Beautiful buck MM
I only saw one buck this year running full speed across a 100' opening.
Couldnt even get the gun up in time.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

Again not a Buck but a Duck.

Yup, Grandson got a banded duck yesterday!! 

DPatton

The holy grail of the waterfowl hunter! Make sure he calls that band in and gets the banding information and his certificate. It's always neat to learn exactly where and when they were banded along with the age of the bird.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Magicman

Oh yes, he already did.  The duck was banded in 2017 in Arkansas but I don't remember anything else.  He is walking on clouds. 

DPatton

:) :) :) I completely understand his excitement 8). As for myself I just love to learn :P the history of the banded birds. Understanding where they came from and why they ended up where they did fascinates me, so I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread a moment to tell a story.

One of the more interesting bird bands my hunting party has harvested was on November 12th 2017. My BIL hunting partner harvested the banded Drake Redhead below.

Yea, If y'all didn't know already my BIL is one of the Robertsons. :D :D  Anyway as you can see below the band off that critter was completely worn void of any visible information. We couldn't see any sign of identity left in the metal. Even the edges were worn paper thin.

We thought there was no way we would ever know the information on that bird, but the BIL called in to report harvesting the band anyway. The Bird Banding Laboratory told him to send it in as they can sometimes use an acid on the metal to bring out the information on a worn band. Well that acid wash worked and he received the band back with the full details on that bird, including the time and location of banding. Turns out that Redhead was banded in Saskatchewan at an age of 1+ years old, a little over seventeen years earlier in 2000. He had made it to an age of 18+ years old! That's a lot of annual migrations, and a lot of wingbeats. He probably was ready for a new knee or rotator cuff himself. ;D ;D
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

barbender

That's amazing that a wild duck made it that many years! I remember a story about a wild black bear in our area, she was collared as a cub and the DNR kept track of her. That cub made it to be 38 years old iirc! When I read the story, she had recently passed from old age. I was the same age as her at the time😮  It just amazed me that the whole time I'd been living my protected human life, that ol girl had been digging for grubs, looking for berries, digging through the occasional garbage, finding a stump hole to hibernate in and having cubs- year after year! 

Magic, that is one fine buck! I love big 8 pointers👍👍
Too many irons in the fire

Zackfel

Gotta appreciate stories like that. Animals are fascinating. Nice to see that bird had such a long life.

Magicman

Quote from: DPatton on January 13, 2020, 11:16:14 PMso I hope you don't mind if I hijack your thread a moment to tell a story.
Once a topic or anything is posted it belong to the FF.  My only motive is to share and enjoy experiences so whatever anyone post is always good with me.  Even food !!  ;D

What an interesting story Doug, and thank you for sharing.  Gotta say WOW to an 18 year old bird.  Also to a 38 year old bear.  smiley_thumbsup

KEC

Here in New York, last I knew, the oldest black bear recorded was 40.

Thank You Sponsors!