iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Material Handling

Started by Cypress Man, June 11, 2014, 10:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypress Man

Hi everyone.
We've just installed the new IC5 power conveyor and transfer table to improve material handling and increase production. So far things seem to be working well and should help improve production. The new log deck should be come in a few weeks to prevent the bottleneck feeding the mill. Will keep everyone updated on how it has helped our operation once the log deck is installed and will post more pictures.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Magicman

You have a very professional layout.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bibbyman

The one big thing I came to understand about the production side of running a sawmill business is material handling.   The log deck will automate one aspect of the process but may complicate doing special jobs - short logs, odd shaped logs, etc.

Are you planning to run all the hydraulics off the mill pumps?  Are the pump or pumps 3ph AC? Or 12v DC? 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gadrock

The only other color that would be right...in this situation...would be
GREEN...envious green.

Carry on
LT40 G18,   bent Cresent wrench,   broken timing light
Prentice 280 loader, Prentice 2432 skidder, Deere 643J fellerbuncher, Deere 648H skidder, Deere 650H Dozer

backwoods sawyer

Hope it all comes together to make you good money. Noticed your sawdust bin under the edger another good time saver on clean up smiley_thumbsup
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WoodenHead

Very nice setup!  Someday I might get there.   :D

How many people do you have working with you?

Peter Drouin

I like the box under the edger. How long is the building to put all that in line? I thought about a log deck, But I cut a lot of big, long beams and it would be in the way. Nice job.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

brianb88

That there is a nice setup. 
Measure twice, cut once

Cypress Man

Thanks for all the complements.
Bibbyman: Yes the hydraulic pumps are 3 phase AC. This is a wide head LT70 "ALL" electric mill. No contact strip means the hydraulics work in all head positions. That is really convenient.  I have a six foot extension on the mill so I can cut beams/lumber up to 26 ft long. I've also thought about some inconvenience with the log deck but I've convenced myself that i can reach beams over the top of the deck with the Cat 360B extended reach lift or simply reach it from the back side being the building is open on that side. I also have the option of dragging beams back onto the IC5 conveyor to the transfer table. There I can simply place the forks behind the transfer table and kick it off with the Kickers onto the forks. It seems simple enough in theory. Its coming in July 3rd so I'll let you know how that works out.
Backwoods Sawyer: The box under the edger is definately a time saver. Just lift it with the telehandler and go dump it.
Woodenhead:Somedays I have 3 people to run on other days 4. You can run smoothly with 3 but 4 is really easy on everyone. One floater can operate forklift hauling to and from the mill effortlessly.
Peter: The building is 100 ft. long on that side and it takes every inch . There is never enough room at a mill.
LT70 wide head electric, IC5 Power conveyor, transfer table, Stop and Load Log Deck, Catapiller 360B Telehandler, Cat tl642c Teleloader, Cat TH514 Telehandler, Woodmizer EG400 edger, Logosol PH360 moulder, Extrema 26" Planner, Grizzly 16" dual conveyor resaw, Prentice 285 log loader

Dave Shepard

That looks like a really sweet setup. 8) I'd have just about the same thing, but I'd have the wireless remote and two BX24's. ;D I might have to build one of those boxes for me edger, too. I figure a good starter millshed is 30' wide and one side of the other of 900' long. :D You know, give or take a 100'.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

drobertson

only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

giant splinter

You sure have a very well thought out mill production area, productivity is what it takes to come out on top and it looks like you have done a great job of planning and putting it all together ...... nice layout!
roll with it

Thank You Sponsors!