iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I borrowed a "log wizard"

Started by snowshoveler, November 18, 2015, 08:27:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snowshoveler

I tried to buy it from my buddy but he wont sell it.
I have some small spruce that has a bit of mud on it.
Would have used the pressure washer and been okay but its just a bit cool for that for me.
I put the wizard on a Husky 338 top handle saw.
I cut the end of the bar off so the attachment is closer to the powerhead.
Tried it out at work and it ate a hardwood pallet no problem, avoided the nails and staples.
If it works at all I will buy a new one.
I have a sharpener meant for planer knives so I should be able to touch up the knives before I return it.
Anyone here actually use one, I might not be using enough saw but I can always put it on a bigger husky. I was just going for light and easy to handle in the mill.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

4x4American

Look forward to seeing how you like it.  I too have been thinking about getting one.
Boy, back in my day..

Dave Shepard

I've spent plenty of time running a Log Wizard. I'd suggest wearing chaps. It worked really well on the white pine and red oak that I was sawing at the time. It's slow, but if you have a lot of mud caked in the bark, it's worth spending the time to run it. I would open up a line on the entrance side of the log big enough to take a slab and a board or two. Don't debark any more than necessary. I'm not sure that saw will like a steady diet of the Wizard. We were running Husky 55's.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

4x4American

The way I see it, you get a Lathemizer attachment, a dedicated mizer to run it, and a log wizard, and you're about 10 steps away from having a commerical debarking operation lol
Boy, back in my day..

snowshoveler

I just want to try it for now.
The Belsaw does not like dirty wood.
I usually saw pine and have peeled most of it with an ice pic.
The spruce is just nasty to do anything with.
Good thing I only have 10 or 12 of them and they aren't big.
If I buy 1 I will most likely put it on a Husky 254, I have a wheelbarrow full of them for parts.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Dave Shepard

We had two wheelbarrows full of 55's for parts. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

starmac

I have been wanting to try one. A good friend of mine that builds natural log houses has 3 of them, the way he talks you need a pretty peppy saw to run them. He did say my 346 would be fine though.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

timberjackrob

I have one never use it anymore it works but gets heavy using it wasnt as usefull as I thought it might be.
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

4x4American

Shoot if I get one I'd dedicate my 372 to it, cause the lord knows that thing can hardly pull a 2' bar, it oughta be able to spin some planer knives!
Boy, back in my day..

starmac

Sounds like your 372 needs some help. It seems like one would be overkill for a log wizard. I just think a wiard would not be near as handy or used much attached to anything in the class of a 372.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

isawlogs

Second time this week a log wizard is asked of !
  I have one and I have a 034 that drives it. It works well for what you want to use it for, I also only take off enough for a pass of the blade, slab and board.  You won't need to sharpen the knives as planner sharp, I use a grinder witht he blades in a vise... The bearings are easy to get, I have rebuilt mine a few times since I have bought it. Blades are easily got from Amazone or E-Bay. Don't bother trying the carbide blade, it wont do well with rocks... been there done that.  ;)

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

4x4American

Thanks, isawlogs for the tip.

I wonder how my 041av would like to turn that thing for the rest of its days
Boy, back in my day..

timberjackrob

I use mine on a 290 farm boss pulls it fine
208 timberjack, woodmizer lt28,case 455 trackloader with gearmatic winch,massey 4710, ford f250s ford f700

redprospector

When I was helping to put on the "Lumberjack Day" here, I would have the guys on my crew come in and help set up for the chainsaw racing. They were taking the bark off of 16" to 24" Ponderosa Pine with axes. My guys never complained much about anything, but that was one task that they really didn't care much for. We got them a Log Wizard and their attitude got much better, and the logs were debarked a lot quicker. We used a 357xp, and a 55 rancher. I didn't run it too much, but I did run it enough to know that it gets heavy pretty quick. I recommend grinding the teeth off of an old chain. When saws get heavy, people tend to get lazy and rest parts of a saw on parts of their body, that were never intended to be put together. One of the guy's adjusted the knives out about 1/32" farther than the factory setting, and it really became a bark eatin' mochine.  8)
I don't use it with my sawmill. I figure that I can sharpen blades quicker, and with less wear and tear than I can debark logs with that thing.  :D
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Wallys World

I use mine with a Poulan 34cc saw. It does a good job, that saw pulls it fine. I does spit debris everywhere.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Stephen

I ran mine with a Husky 51. It gets heavy when the log is up on the mill. I added a bent flat bar as a depth gauge on the end.

1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

Andries

Stephen - thats a great idea.
I'll be copying that before my next project - hope you don't mind, or have a patent on that . .  :D
My son-in-law wanted a de-barked oak log for his gym. For 'Strong Man' competitions.
Bark, slivers and rough and ready surfaces weren't going to cut it.
So, me too, I borrowed a Log Wizard.

waxed ends and in the shop for the Log Wizard treatment.

the Wizard throws bark like a champ.

log looks like a wet dog that came though a pipe - backwards.

next step is a grinder and an Arbortech Turboplane. Face protection, owwww, yup, wheres that thing ?

smooth as a baby's . . . .
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

5quarter

Dem strongmen better be wearin some steel toed boots... ;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

snowshoveler

I tried out the borrowed log wizard...cleaned up 1 log and just about played me out.
I managed to buy a new old stock log wizard and tried that.
Much better and cleaned up 5 logs in about the same time as the first was done.
I will shine up the blades on the first 1 and return it.
The 338 top handle husky works fine but I should put the logs on a bench of some sort.
Real nasty on your back and I am not tall by any means.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

isawlogs

Andries, 

You could of pulled the log wizard along the log lenghtwise and got almost as good a finish as you got there now witht the grinder attachment, I have done many logs with mine this way.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Andries

Hey Marcel, funny thing is, I was moving the Log Wizard along the length of the log.
It wants to stay in one spot and go straight down into the wood. Talk about your eager beavers!

Got a recommendation from somebuddy to move the cutters back into its wheel a bit.
Thanks for the comment - next week I have a date with the Wizard and will see if that makes a difference.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

isawlogs

It will want to eat the log, one must lean the saw back down some and the wizard will ride some on its frame, you can control the depth some what this way... there is a learnin' curve  ;) :D

Marcel

Andries

Here I was thinking I needed to make up a piece of curved metal, like Stephen's suggestion in Reply #15 . . . .
Marcel - next week I'll go with your tip,
Quote from: isawlogs on November 23, 2015, 09:32:10 PM
... one must lean the saw back down some and the wizard will ride some on its frame, you can control the depth some what this way... there is a learnin' curve  ;) :D
and also the advice to set the log up on some support to raise it off the ground.
Quote from: snowshoveler on November 23, 2015, 11:08:23 AM
. . .  but I should put the logs on a bench of some sort.
Real nasty on your back and I am not tall by any means.
Regards Chris
Who knows, I might have this learning curve under control after another six logs!   :D
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!