iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

GOTTA BUILD A WINCH

Started by hillbilly, October 11, 2004, 03:23:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hillbilly

;D I've found a little bit timber today. My cousin and his wife have bought a farm here close by,he had me to come out and walk around with him this sunday.To our surprise their track of land has a pretty NICE stand of 20-30 inch across redoak.Most of it is easy to get to except for about 3000 ft it's over the edge of apretty nasty looking hill about 100yrds or so.Since I don't have a skidder I'll be using my tractor .I need to biuld some sort of winch that I can mount on my 3pt hitch,has anyone ever seen or built anything like this ?                                                                                                hillbilly

Bro. Noble

We have a 20,000 pound Tulsa winch that I bought for a couple of hundred dollars.  Took the spike off of a 3 pt. hayloader frame and put the winch on it.  Added a pto driveline and a fairlead from northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company.  Put on 100 yards of cable and it has worked really well for the past 10 years or so.

Around here you see old winch trucks just setting.  They used them before skidders became common.  They are probablu in your area too and should be a good source of a winch.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Cedarman

About 25 years ago I got my JD 450 stuck trying to clean out a pond.  Had to get another dozer in to pull me out. I did not have a winch on the JD. Last time that was going to happen!! Found an old winch from a semi wrecker with 5/8 cable on it. Built a heavy duty frame and made it fit my 3 point hitch.  Also made it with angled legs to dig into the ground the harder I pulled. The winch is slow but very effective on the very difficult pulls.  I use a Farmi now for logging because it is so much faster.
If you have a super hard pull, run a chain under your tractor and tie off to a big tree.  The strain on the tractor could break  the tractor
Super heavy duty winches are nice to have around just in case.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Oldtimer

Red Oak that big on a hill as steep as that sounds.....you have your work cut out for you. Be super careful. A stressed cable that snaps can cut you in half. Are you certain it must come UP the hill? No way to go down and around or maybe even rent a dozer for a few days? The $$ from the R/O should cover it easy.

Good luck!
My favorite things are 2 stroke powered....

My husky 372 and my '04 F-7 EFI....

bighoss550

how big a tractor???

i have used a cable without a winch alot.
i have 2 pieces of heavy wall pipe about 2 ft long with a curve on the cable that slide. if i cant just drag em straight, i use a bungie strap to hold the pipe to a tree and the cable slides through without damage to the tree. this way u can pull at angles to the direction of the log.

and its alot faster than an ordinary winch. and waaay cheap:)

Larry

Same as Noble.

Garwood 30,000lb winch.

Heavy expanded metal on the ROPS for protection in case the cable breaks.

Couple of snatch blocks help a lot.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Bro. Noble

Well Larry,

Your's may be bigger than ours,  but we put a hitch on the back of ours and pull a log wagon with it :D :D

Not only that but we spray painted ours red and black ;)

I need a 'smug' smiley ;D

J_T

Could put a hyd motor on an old wrecker winch also it you make enough room you can put a transmiton on it for speed on lighter pulls.Hyd motor is a good way to drive things with out a reverse you could tight line your self :o
Jim Holloway

Larry

:D :D :D ;D ;D ;D

On the lower right hand corner there is a plate with a hole in it.  Orginal purpose was to put in a clevis so I could double line in case I needed 60,000 pound pull. ???  Thats where I hook my wagon. :D

You are way ahead of me on the painting.  Ya got any extra??  Need a paint brush to!!! :D ;D :D

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

You folks never heard of Farmi Winches?

http://www.valby.biz/newpage1.htm

Folks have used them here for years. There are different models for tractors and skid steers.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bro. Noble

SD,

You folks never heard of  'Po folks'?  or 'Tight Wads'  :D :D

J_T

Bro Noble That be me 8) Both counts. I never pay big bucks for sompthing I can build . Might be cheper somtimes but I like a chalange :D :D. I have a power winch pulling the carrage on my circle mill one guy said it wouldn't work but it does ;D Reason I used it was I was broke plus tight and it was donated to me with a hyd motor to pull it 8)
Jim Holloway

hillbilly

:P The more I read on here the more that I learn. Isure do thank you all for the info. Noble I sure would like to find awinch like that one that you have there,that would be the stuff and those farmi winches shore are nice to look at but i'm afraid that they would cost more than my whole opperation.   But here a while back I made a hyd power unit that runs off of my pto Ihave it mounted on my 3pt like x-racer's photos but not qite as nice as his I may add.Anyway i've started building a hyd winch on the same platform using a little bit of everyones input ;) I hope that it will work and if it does'nt Im gonna buy me a 10500 milemarker and mount it on there insted.

hillbilly          

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D ;D ;D

Yup! Right up their with jilpokes, pollaces and the severly injured. ;)

;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

hillbilly

Last night I found a US surplus site that has alot of old military trucks and all manner of STUFF, they also have several winches 8000- 35000 puond range pto or hyd they have several 20000lb tulsa that have been rebuilt and still in the crate .I can't remember the whole adress but the name of the company  adelmans in case anyone is enterested.        

hillbilly

ScottAR

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Thank You Sponsors!