iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bottom of the pile

Started by johnnyllama, April 18, 2015, 07:37:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyllama

Had a call from a customer looking for a custom cherry live edge table top. Our snow has finally melted so that I can access my lumber shed and piles. There must be a rule somewhere that when you need a particular piece of wood it must be at the bottom of the furthest pile from the front! After an hour of moving lumber last night I reached the right slabs. The good part was finding all the nice stuff I cut a few years ago that Iforgot was so good. Now I need to send it out to the kiln to get finished up so I can start the top. I think I need more shed space!
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

drobertson

It seems to never fail, and I believe there has to be a corollary to at least one of Murphy's Law ;D
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

Murphy is never wrong and his Law never fails.  ::)

It's good that business is picking up and hopefully we will see pictures of that Cherry tabletop.  ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

johnnyllama

Well, the customer showed up but had to think about it some more. They don't really want live edge as they are looking more for a contemporary design, but needs to be close to 10'long and I only have 2 bookmatched cherry slabs that long. Most of mine are 8'6". By the time I straightline the slabs I won't have enough width to make a 42" wide top, so I suggested a contrasting wood in the center. He liked it but his wife wasn't sure. Either way, it was an excuse to dig into the pile and see what was hidden in there I had forgotten about. Found some nice bookmatched slabs (5/4) that are close to 20" wide.
Turner Bandmill, NH35 tractor, Stihl & Husky misc. saws, Mini-excavator, 24" planer, 8" jointer, tilting shaper, lathe, sliding table saw, widebelt sander, Beautiful hardworking wife, 2 dogs, 2 cats, 23 llamas in training to pull logs!!!

JohnM

Johnny, how long do you keep something like that in the kiln?  Btw, I like the contrasting wood idea. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

johnnyllama

I'm not sure about kiln time, I need to check with my drying guy. Don't have my own kiln yet, so I have to take elsewhere. If I have the time and space, I'll bring into my shop for a year or two after airdrying a couple years outside. I think he dried the last slabs for about 3-4 weeks ( air dried  1 1/2 years first).

Brad_bb

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

johnnyllama

Sorry, no pic's yet. Rain in the forcast so I had my sons and wife help me get the pile back together and undercover. If I make the top I will post a picture when done though.

Thank You Sponsors!