iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best way to mill Walnut

Started by oakiemac, June 30, 2004, 10:10:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I'm going to be cutting some walnut logs that I obtained here in the near future. I have never sawn walnut so I thought I'd ask a few questions first.
1) What is the best thickness? I read once that walnut should be cut 12/4. I can't see way not 4/4

2) Should I try to trim off the white sap wood or cut boards with some sap and heart in them?

3) Is walnut an easy would to dry in a DH kiln? Any problems with mixing it with other species like cherry or oak, maple?

I only have about 300bdft and I plan on kiln drying then selling to local woodworkers.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Larry

I saw 80 to 90% 4/4 and it moves fast.  Thicker stuff moves slow but brings lot more $$$$.  I usually leave the dog board at least 6/4 or more.  Little knots in the heart don't seem to make much difference to the buyer.

Most people don't like sap wood so most of it gets wasted.

Walnut is the easiest wood I dry.  The only defect I get is end splits in juvenile wood and end coating will prevent a lot of that.  I have mixed it with oak and cherry in both the DH and solar kiln.  No problems.  Don't think it would work with maple especially if you want to keep the maple a bright white.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

oakiemac

Thanks Larry.
I think I just mill it 4/4.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

AtLast

ALot depends on grade. If you find you have high grade it would be worthy to saw gun stock thickness. Other than that 4x4 hwd. Make sure you do 4x4 hwd..that 1/8 inch can make alot of difference. I just sawed 300 b/f of ALL grade  and got $2.25 b/f. Check with you state DNR  wood specialest and aquire prices current in your region. If it will be stored for awhile be sure to paint the ends and sticker and stack properly. I use latex paint left over from home projects...works just fine. other than that. keep an eye on the cant once youve opend the log and dont be afraid to turn and look as u cut as you know each layer will change in grade each cut. Have fun.

Thank You Sponsors!