iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber prices too high

Started by livemusic, November 30, 2020, 09:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Hmm. If i import a bunch of it, will that make me important?
Praise The Lord

Ianab

If you can market it as Australasian Koa you might be able to make few $$ 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Cub on April 09, 2021, 05:11:05 PM
You know I’m not sure why it won’t certify. I’ve just been told by numerous people that nobody will  buy it because it won’t certify for studs. Maybe because it’s doesn’t grade the greatest so they don’t mess around with all the waste.  There is a place that will buy it but the trucking kills any kind of profit. I am not sure what they do with it though. So most of any white pine that does get cut around here goes for pulp. Anything bigger than pulp size gets left to stand.
White pine up here is 99% interior finished stuff for trim, cabinets, shelves, T&G panel boards or wanes coating, porch ceiling. Irving supplies all Homedepot.ca
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_belben

I guess this is a decent place to put it since weve touched on economy here often.

I just got a tip today from a pillar of our little ag town that deere is pulling out of the small dealerships in our area and going to strictly run out of their deere only places.. I think knoxville being their closest for us.  The person is the mother of a deere peddling multi brand store owner in town who was recently informed by corporate.

I suspect that signifies deere sees a change on the horizon. 

Praise The Lord

woodroe

I don't get the problem with white pine for framing rafters and joists in rough cut full 2" dimension.
Keep the knots small of course, #2 range.
Probably equivalent in strength to commercial 1 1/2" fir/spruce .
I've used a bunch of it , never seen it break with 3' snow on roofs.
Full 2 x 6 rafters 12' long 2' centers 3' deep snow still standing 25 yrs later.
Maybe just for people who don't require inspection for everything they build ?
Heck, my garage has 16' full 2x6 2' centers pine rafters sawn on site still 
holding their own 15 years later. 

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Southside

I don't know Mike.  Deere is an odd company, they make the independent dealers pay monthly for every JD image they use, be it on a vehicle, website, side of the building, pay every month.  Look at service trucks from independent dealers, they will have a big green and yellow tractor in the logo - but nothing that says John Deere, of the model number, it's all scrubbed out - gets them away from the monthly payment.  

Who knows with them. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Skip

All the independent Deere dealers got bought or sold to Corp. in parts of OH WV KY, can't remember what they cll them now. 

mike_belben

I wonder what theyre up to.
Praise The Lord

Skip

Higher prices from what I'm told (not a Deere guy). ::) They are Ag-Pro companies, bought all the independents.

woodroe

Train loads of lumber from Canada stacked up high and wide on this side of the 
Canadian border. The video is by a Vermont building contractor.

TRAIN LOADS OF LUMBER JUST STACKED UP !!!! Why - YouTube

mike_belben

price setters have absolutely no reason not to sell as much product as possible at the highest price that the -must-have-it-now mass consumerist morons will pay.  
Praise The Lord

woodroe

Can't blame me I'm not buying any lumber and I wanted to put on a 
shed roof 14 x 28 attached to the garage , small project really but no, just can't do it
unless I can find some rough sawn for reasonable money.

nativewolf

Quote from: mike_belben on April 18, 2021, 09:58:06 PM
price setters have absolutely no reason not to sell as much product as possible at the highest price that the -must-have-it-now mass consumerist morons will pay.  
Tariffs still in place?
Liking Walnut

mike_belben

no idea.  ive already shared my story about the big box buyers ordering more lumber than there was room to store while crying shortage to jack the price during my time in the truck.  it was domestic wood so tarrif was not likely a factor.  there was an ordering frenzy, but no reduction of lumber or truck volume or staff at the treating plant.  i was buddies with most of the loaders and asked about it often. 
Praise The Lord

Mooseherder

As far as I know no tariffs on Irving.  I won't get into why that is.

Southside

Same reason Irving agreed to sell their shavings to Lincoln the next to the last time they went bankrupt even though Lincoln owed them a pile of money, and the director of FAME was suddenly replaced when they wanted a personal guarantee.  This last time I think they stiffed the state for what $5 million.  Augusta is only the starting point. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

SYP dimensional went up to my little building supply $300/mbf last night, that's an unheard of jump.

mike_belben

IEN reports a hand sanitizer surplus.  I suspect when woodmizer ships the mill orders it's taking today, the same will be said of lumber.
Praise The Lord

nativewolf

Even bloomberg news is reporting on the fact that lumber is very high but log prices have not moved.   Now this is common knowledge all across the world; who would have thunk that log price vs lumber price would make financial news headlines.
Liking Walnut

VirginiaFarm

Quote from: nativewolf on April 20, 2021, 07:49:47 AM
Even bloomberg news is reporting on the fact that lumber is very high but log prices have not moved.   Now this is common knowledge all across the world; who would have thunk that log price vs lumber price would make financial news headlines.
And it all started with this thread! But seriously, numerous major news articles on lumber pricing, continuing every day. 

breederman

IEN reports a hand sanitizer

NYS distributed gallons of it to farms all across the state, most of it sets covered in dust unopened.

Together we got this !

Ed_K

Lumber on the N.Y. stock exchange is at $1158.60 per 1k bf. It was up over $1250. last week. But I will never say it can't go up again  ;D .
Ed K

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: Skip on April 12, 2021, 07:59:53 AM
All the independent Deere dealers got bought or sold to Corp. in parts of OH WV KY, can't remember what they cll them now.
Same thing happened here in NH, parts of Maine, and Mass. United AG and Turf is the name now. We've got one small JD Ag dealer Left in my part of NH. They now got ALL of the farms JD parts business we used to buy from a few dealers.  Hate to see it happen.  
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

woodroe

So, who is getting rich off the high lumber prices ? No one on here probably.
Here is someone attempting to shed light on the subject.

Who is Getting Rich Off of High Lumber Prices?!? - YouTube

Thank You Sponsors!