iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coyote takes a dirt nap

Started by JD Guy, April 18, 2024, 04:27:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD Guy

Got up yesterday morning and was getting dressed when out of the back patio door I saw a coyote running across the yard with a big hen in its mouth. Ran and grabbed shotgun and when I looked again the darned critter had left the hen by the fence and was trotting back for another.

Eased the door open and he took off lickety split. Took 3 rounds of 1/4 oz #6 that slowed him down but still climbed wire farm fence, back through back pasture and climbed a second one!

Shots turned out fatal though, he was laying stone dead about 10 yards on the other side. Have reloaded with 00 Buck but will need to be really careful about what's behind what I'm shooting at so as not to tear up anything unintended.

Will try to add picture if I can figure it out ffwave

url=https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353484][/url]

Don P

That was not his first good meal.

barbender

No it wasn't, that's a nice looking 'yote. 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

That is my most favorite kind of Coyote.  :thumbsup:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

Those dogs are tough.  Had one a few years back doing something similar and I grabbed a 5.56, laid down prone and he was about 250 yards away by then on a trot, aim, hold, squeeze and he flips right into the air so I stood up.  He hits the ground and takes off running on three legs to the west while my FIL is roasting me for missing, so I take an off hand shot and he spins in place and then heads east like a carnival game. Now he is pushing 300 yards, running, and off hand with a 5.56 that's a hail Mary even for me, but I let another fly as he vanishes into the woods.  FIL won't stop with the roasting, but we found that dog dead about 150 yards to the east after he came out of the woods and tried to cross another field.  It was a week or so later so I didn't bother to count the holes in the hide to respond to the FIL, but for sure one found it's mark.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

JD Guy

We've had coyotes around for quite a while, but then a few years with no sightings and no problems. Guess they're back! Hardly ever see rabbits anymore and there's very good habitat for them. There's only one redeeming factor that a coyote has and that's that they will eat skunks  ffwave

beenthere

I get rabbits, skunks, and coyotes on my trail cameras. Guess that indicates there is a balance ?? Many, many deer and turkeys.  An occasional bobcat.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

Have a man in town who has down 24 so far. From the first of January. Shooting over a gut pile.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!