iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newest Addition Updated!

Started by tcsmpsi, June 29, 2012, 11:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

In the pursuit of consolodating, my first priority is to get the classroom moved out to the compound, with the eventual move of the shop in town moved.  In studying my approach to this program, I have decided to take care of a couple other items with the same construction.   I am 'cheating' a bit in utilizing T&G OSB for the subfloor, but, at $16.00 per sheet, it is going to be my least expensive approach.  Utilizing my lumber for the framing, siding and inside paneling, etc. (and having to machine siding/paneling), will take about all that I have milled for the project.  I still have a few logs from clearing for the new addition, but I have some earmarks for their lumber already.

It is taking longer than I had 'hoped', but there's just so much time in a day, and it seems every week takes more time to make less money.  This is all part of the plan to change that somewhat, but it too, will take time to get there.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Very nice place ya have there! Looks secluded and quiet.
I really like your walking ramp. However, it looks like it might be hot and muggy. Not a leaf moving on any tree. :D
I enjoyed your pics.

David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

tcsmpsi

Certainly, you are right about that, David.  Hot, humid and very still.   ;D  And, even yet, my womenfolk still harp on me to take breaks, drink lots of water, etc., etc.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

Very nice.  The ladies are needing to keep you healthy so you can finish your project.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tcsmpsi

Not only that, Lynn, but who would ever keep them so well entertained?   :D  The wife has found that she likes the back deck better, now that it's covered and all.  From the front deck, you can still partly see the road through the drive.

All the smaller critters (birds, squirrels, coons, etc.) seem to think that has all been built for them as they climb and meander all up through the rafters and such.   :D

Hard to believe, that once upon a time, that was only a 10X20 lean-to shed for storing over run building materials. 

Was discussing/evaluating the  insurance with my SF agent earlier this week.    :o   

Bogue Chitto

I would love to have something like that on the river.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

fat olde elf

Nice work for someone who is 159 years old.  I thought 75 was really getting up there.  All of your stuff always looks great  !
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

tcsmpsi

Originally, I bought this property for a shooting range, a place to store materials from the building and remodeling business, the horse, and just general 'away'.  It was far from being in shooting distance to any buildings in any direction.  It was plantation just opened up for sale and the new plant was about 5 yrs old.  The upper floor was first built back in the 80's, primarily for book storage.  It was 10'X18'.  ;D  It has been added on to a few times.   :D

This was when the last addition was dried in back in 2007.  All the building(s) on the right are storage, built before the upper floor was ever begun.

Of course, there are now flower planters and such all over this deck area.   The front of the house, and the view out toward the road.

This is the millshed in relation to the house.  Geeez...it too, has taken on quite a few additions, since the house.   Looking at these is kinda...enlightening.  Get caught up in the 'doing' and lose a little sight of the 'have done'.   :D

Someone else mentioned the 159, elf.  I need to go take a look at that, I suppose.   :D

Magicman

Well, I like all of it. Especially the way things just developed to meet your needs/wants.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Michael,

I think that you just have the "add-on bug".  I don't know anything that is effective to spray for that  :D.

Looks awesome!  Is the little bumelia still hanging on?
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

tcsmpsi

Quote from: WDH on June 30, 2012, 08:55:21 PM
Michael,

I think that you just have the "add-on bug".  I don't know anything that is effective to spray for that  :D.

Looks awesome!  Is the little bumelia still hanging on?

You may be right, Danny.  Posting this thread, got me to thinking about the ex house, its humble beginnings and its sprawling nature.   :D

And yes, little bumelia is still healthy.  It   will be glad to hear of your concern.   ;D

tcsmpsi

It had come a little rain here, early this morning.  Had to shake her a bit to get her attention to tell her, with her basking in wet of it all.   ;D

tcsmpsi

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

martyinmi

Hope I'm able to built like that when I'm 159 years old! Looks awesome!
No God, No Peace
Know God, Know Peace!

Autocar

Great looking retreat ! Enjoyment for years.
Bill

tcsmpsi

Down the length, on the high side, there will be a 5' wide loft.  I had originally thought I might have it ready for classes by the end of May.    :D  Having to go back to milling for a spell, now. 

Once upon a time, I considered, 'if only they put more hours in a day'.   Now, I don't think I could stand more hours in a day.   ;D

Norm

I think you're making good progress, for me that a 20 year project.  :D

tcsmpsi

Thanks, Norm.   :)  I've been  building on it for about 25 yrs.   Only one room in the house completely finished.   :D

Kansas

That looks gorgeous. Great job!!.

What is up with 16 bucks OSB? I thought we were in a housing slump. Think it is about that around here and that isn't even tongue and groove.

Magicman

Your "work in progress" is very nice.

There is some validity in the phrase; What I gotta do keeps me from doing what I wanna do.  It affects my life daily.

tcsmpsi

It was a 'special', Kansas.  I think 17.89 was 'regular' price.  I think a lot of it is just trying to keep afloat.  Most fundamental building materials have been fluctuating lately.  Around here, anyhow. 

I traded some milling for the short metal, but the 16 footers were 23.00 each. 

Well, Lynn, I think the one has melded with the other.  I have truly looked at it deeply, and I don't have a clue as to what I want to do.   Except, of course, finish....just in case there might be something out there beyond that.   :D

Magicman

Building for yourself is very similar to traveling.  Never completely focus on the destination and miss the journey.  At least you know where you are going, you just may not know exactly how you will get there.  Enjoy.

tcsmpsi

Well, I ran out of my 2X4's, and 'had' to buy some.   Actually, at $1.90 each for better than average studs, I decided it was less to utilize those than stop all other things to mill some.  Ended up getting 80 to fill the gaps.  I had some, but those are already earmarked for use, otherwise (roof over the walkway).

I had some milling to do, my slab rack was full, so it was the 'opportune' time to cut and stack the firewood from it.  Got that done, milled a little cedar for another fellow and some more siding/paneling for myself.

And, the time for the equipment servicing/maintaining/adjusting last week.  I reckon all these dadblamed machines are worth it.   :D

I only close the shop in town most Sundays, and occassionally I get away with leaving the shop early.

But, in spite of it all, still got a little farther along on the building.   :)

Here, the room where the window/air conditioner is, will be brought out even with the addition under it.

And, the slab rack is almost half full again.   ;D

Thank You Sponsors!