iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stairs design help

Started by sbishop, August 18, 2011, 09:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljmathias

Those are pretty narrow treads, means you mostly go down kinda sideways stepping (rough treads on the house I'm building are about like yours and the 5/6 year old grandkids won't go down without help)- but you do what you gotta do to make it fit.  Good luck.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Jim_Rogers

I've got to go out right now, but I'll check these dimensions out later today.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Jim_Rogers

Ok so using your dimensions I entered them into my drawing to represent the roof slope.

Then I made the riser and thread the sizes you wanted. Starting at the top beam I copied them out to make them come down until they touched the floor. And they pretty much line up ok.

I then made the landing at the third step top and checked the clearance to the sloped roof.

You could get by with this. I have a chart somewhere that tells what a steep stair slope is in degrees but I can't find it now.

See attached.

sbishop

Thanks Jim,

i was playing around with the numbers and i came up with this, which is really close to your drawing.

Can i move the top stringer closer to the wall where it lands on the landing(in your picture)?  in my drawing i've got the treads at 9 9/32.

looking at my drawing can i cut the stringer off at the third step and building my landing based on that (landing size of 27 27/32 plus enough room to attach stringer by 24" wide)

i'm i confusing anyone yet???? ;)

One last question.... 2X12 or 2X10?
Sbishop

Jim_Rogers

2x12 to be safe. That's what I used in my drawing.

sbishop

Got the stairs installed on the weekend...with all the planning that went into this...it was actually a piece of cake!

THANKS Jim and everyone else that helped!

I'm all done working on the camp for another year but i will putting on a railing first thing in the spring!

Jim_Rogers

How do they feel to walk up them?

Did you have enough head clearance?

Jim Rogers

sbishop

Jim, lots of head clearance...over 6" and they feel great.....wife was impressed....thats all that counts!

Jim_Rogers

It's really important that they feel ok when you walk up and down them. If they don't then you can trip and fall or stumble going up or down.

These are the reasons why they are so well inspected to see if they meet code.

sbishop

My father, who turned 70 years young this summer even tried them out with no issues.  8)

Thank You Sponsors!