iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small scale grade stake processing

Started by Snag, March 14, 2006, 08:02:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Snag

I have a couple people that want to purchase grade stakes from me.  Two questions... 

1) Will beech work well for them? 

2) It is not nearly enough quantity to justify a purchase of a "stake maker" (for lack of knowing the real name), has anyone made a jig/rig or something to put the point on em'? 

Thanks all.....

tnlogger

snag hit the search button at the top of the page and type in grade stakes you'll find a lot of info on how to make them  gene
gene

Ga_Boy

Snag,

Go over to the sawmill board and look for the "Another Grade Stake Quetion" post.

I did the same thing you are looking into.  Lots of good info there.

what I will add here is I went ahead and bought the strapping kit from Bailey's.

Folks want their stakes in nice packages.

Mark
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Tom

The best way to start researching a question on the Forum is to use the search function.  Not that asking the question is wrong but coincided with  a search, you may get more than you asked.

Here is that thread that Ga. Boy said for you to go find.

Link 1

And here are a few more.

Link 2
Link 3
Link 4

Snag

Anybody have an answer on the beech?  I assume it should be ok....  but, you know what assuming does.   :D

Ga_Boy

Ask you customers, if they are willing to pay for Beach then by all means, use it......

If not then, find a species they will pay for and mill that....

I mill what ever the customer wants me to mill.....

For my grade stakes, my customers want Oak and are willing to pay for Oak.....
10 Acers in the Blue Ridge Mountains

Snag

gotcha.... I'm pickin' up what yer puttin' down.  Thanks. :)

dudeman

I'm a surveyor and prefer only to have oak stakes.

karl

I have tried several hdwoods and prefer to make stakes from white ash- lower moisture content so they can be packaged green (no mold), they stay straighter, 'n their just plain more attractive IMHO.
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Snag

Thanks for the advice.  I am not expecting this to turn out to be anything too big where I gotta have a ton cut ahead of time, so, I will take your advice and ask the customer what species they would like.  Thanks.

Thank You Sponsors!