iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daughter’s tiny house

Started by shinnlinger, July 30, 2020, 08:56:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Made some good progress over break with my daughter and I have to say this has been a great experience.  The footprint is 13x22. Siding will be angled 1x10 boards for shear with 4"batts.   The  roof decking will probably be a pile of used T-111 I have kicking around.  I will have to take some pics of the view.  It overlooks a tiny pond, garden and barn.  

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Don P

Too late for this but for future knowledge;

QuoteStuds shall be continuous from support at the sole plate to a support at the top plate to resist loads perpendicular to the wall. The support shall be a foundation or floor, ceiling or roof diaphragm or shall be designed according to accepted engineering practice.

shinnlinger

I appreciate it this.  20-20 hindsight would have changed a few things, including this, but there will be a cap/loft on a fair bit of it which will tie the front wall to the back in much the same way.Also the exterior sheathing will tie it all together.   Based on your feedback here, I will make more connections in a more meaningful way than I otherwise would have.  

Thanks. 

Dave
Shinnlinger

Don P

I was going to suggest a "plant shelf" to act as a built up beam, the loft will do a better job of that. I like the scallop on the tails

shinnlinger

Plant beam has a nice ring to it though.  I asked her if she wanted to do a detail on the end and at first she wasn't that interested but then really got into it.  She cut them all herself with a jigsaw.  I wish I took a picture of that.  
Shinnlinger

SwampDonkey

I'm here to. ;D Like others have said, these quality times will be remembered. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

Looks good Dave
Your daughter will always remember this quality time.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

red

You mean this Tiny House . . Doc ? 
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Thank You Sponsors!