iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

House full of tiny moths - help! -

Started by mike_van, September 28, 2005, 07:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

Pretty sure these came from an old crock of birdseed that the lid was ajar on, I keep killing them but they just keep coming. I did get rid of the seed. Short of an airstrike or calling FEMA -  Anyone have any remidies?????
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

dutchman

There is a product called The Pantry Pest Trap, made by Safer Inc.
Two traps cost about $8.
Seem to work.

Carl

jimbo

From what iv allway herd  red cedar  is good for that  in closet  wheat thay start most of the time

karl

Check ALL your grains - even those in sealed packages- those little monsters can eat right through plastic bags, they like chocolate and nuts too >:(.  the larva are real small too, and make a tiny weblike nest usually surrounded by grain hulls and "larva leavings". Gonna need to go after them for a while with the traps if you have a serious infestaiton. Put all your new food in tight sealing glass jars so you can starve the little sob's.

Have fun ::)
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

asy

Quote from: dutchman on September 28, 2005, 07:42:22 PM
There is a product called The Pantry Pest Trap, made by Safer Inc.
Two traps cost about $8.
Seem to work.

Carl

Yup,

I was gonna suggest these too!

I use them, and after a really bad infestation, they are now all gone.  8)

These traps make a little 'tent' out of cardboard with sticky stuff, like the old fly paper inside. Then there's a little stick on bit that has moth feromones on it, that draws them into the trap. It's fantastic coz there's no fly spray or other stuff in your cupboard, and it's perfectly safe to just have sitting there. No smell, no nothing. Doesn't get into your food.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

SwampDonkey

Toss some moth balls in the closets also. I have the odd one about this old farm house as well. I also hang Vapona strips that stun almost any flying bug.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Thanks for all the tips - i'll try  the traps, etc.  With 2 teens in the house, boy it's hard to keep everything sealed up -  Open box of this, crackers, cookies, you know how it goes -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Dan_Shade

make lamp shades out of clear mailing tape, sticky side out, and turn the lamp on in the dark!

:)

I left a window open and didn't take the trash out, back in my younger days, ended up with like a billion flies in the house, I had those fly strips hanging everywhere to get rid of them  ::)  I think I learned something from that ordeal....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Furby

crtreedude

Be glad they are small - we have moths here the size of Mothra (you know, the one that battled Godzilla...)

I have seen moths here 12" across. There is one here that actually hovers like a hummingbird and competes with them for nectar.

When we were in the USA, my wife used to get bothered by moths (they are going to eat the clothes!) now, she has gotten pretty relaxed about them. The only issue is that she doesn't want me to hurt them when I remove them. I will admit, they are very pretty.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Thank You Sponsors!