iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sharpening bandsaw blades for others

Started by Gere Flewelling, July 11, 2020, 04:41:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

Start with the uncoiled blade, and my Wood-Mizer blades will be reversed!

It all depends on which side of the blade you want to pull!

1. Holding the band out, horizontally in front of you, drop the left side of the loop (teeth up) in between the two rollers!

2. With gloves, draw the blade through the rollers, need to keep the right side of the loop just a little lower than the left or the blade will come up from in between the rollers!

3. Once the blade has made the complete circle, lift up on the right side and the blade will rise up and clear of the rollers!

NOTE:  It doesn't take much force to pull the blade through the rollers!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Gere Flewelling

Time to revive my old post. After much practice, trial and error learning, and too much procrastination I finally hung out my bandsaw blade sharpening service shingle.  First customer brought me 7 blades off his mill.  All he could tell me was they were Lennox blades.  Very different from my own blades I am used to.  Took a while to make necessary adjustments but the Cat Claw seems be doing a great job matching the profile. Hopefully they will cut satisfactorily.  I am thinking this might be a good income source.  Lots of band mills around here but only one local sharpening service.  Now there is two.  Time will tell.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

jpassardi

Gere,
You're a couple hours too North of me or I'd be stopping by with a couple dozen of mine...
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

kelLOGg

Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Chuck White

I think you will do well starting a sharpening service!

I've seen a lot of posts here on the Forestry Forum where sawyers are looking for local sharpening services, yours will be one!

Good luck.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Joed

Not wanting to hijack someone's thread, but the topic fits my question.
Here in the Brownville Maine area, I sharpen blades for area mills. I am looking at the WM BMT200 to increase production. How accurate is this setter? Can you see the set before and after setting without having to back the blade back if a tooth needs more work.

Thanks
Joe
Valley Big Green Monster

Stephen1

Joed, get the power feed setter the 250 I believe. It is definite worth it. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Joed on June 05, 2023, 06:07:53 PM
Not wanting to hijack someone's thread, but the topic fits my question.
Here in the Brownville Maine area, I sharpen blades for area mills. I am looking at the WM BMT200 to increase production. How accurate is this setter? Can you see the set before and after setting without having to back the blade back if a tooth needs more work.

Thanks
Joe
Yes if you watch that tooth being set. The gauge rises up to the current set, then goes higher, and falls back to the new set.  If you want you can dial back the pusher  and watch the set as the blade goes around. Agree to also recommend the automated one BMT250. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!