iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to Milling

Started by jcottom64, October 21, 2015, 02:48:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jcottom64

I just bought the Alaskan Small Lumber Mill. This mill will take up to a 20 inch bar.  I am trying to find the right saw for the price.  I know I should have at least a 55cc to not burn up the saw.  I also know I need ripping chain.  I am just trying to find out what saw you all recommend.  I have looked at the Stihl 441, Echo 668, Jonsereed 2217, and Husky 372 XP.  Any suggestions? 

knightgang

I am partial to Stihl saws.  I just purchased a MS 271 Farm Boss.  It is about the size you are looking for and will take a 20" bar.  However, I have never run an Alaskan Mill.

jrose1970

Hey jcottom64,
  Yes, I think Stihl is still the best. I have an old McCullugh and a Paulan. I think I misspelled that. LOL
A feller I work with has a Stihl that is 40 years old. It runs like a charm.  Keep a brand new sharp blade or learn how to sharpen them like new. You will be glad you did.
HFE-36; International 424-37HP; McCullogh Pro 10-10

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, jcottom64!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ladylake

You really need at least a 80cc saw, any brand will work so long as you can get parts for it.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kingmt

I'm a Stihl user but I went from junk to Stihl & never tested the water after that.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

ladylake

Lets not call other chainsaw brands junk as Stihl makes plenty of junk models also.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Kingmt

I didn't name the brand. I was starting that what I bought before Stihl was junk. I was also stating the first saw I bought I was happy with was a Stihl. & the late statement was I haven't tried other saws out side of this to know if I like them or not. I've picked up Echo, Husky, & others that I almost bought & put them back before leaving the store.

I remember a small chainsaw & weed eater that Dad bought when I was a kid that I thought wasn't very well made but looking back on them I realise they don't a bunch of work & ran for years so I bit the bullet & spent more money then I was on the saws I referred to as junk.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

Thank You Sponsors!