iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for Recommendations

Started by mattmar10, July 09, 2019, 11:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattmar10

First, let me start by saying I'm not all that experienced with a chainsaw. I bought a used/restored 041 AV with a 16" bar several years ago and have used it for firewood for the past few years, and it has done fine for that task. Since then, I have gotten into woodworking and sourcing lumber from fallen trees taken out by wind, storms, etc... Since I have started "tree hunting" I have encountered several large oak trees > 32+" that are more than my saw wants. What would be a good 2nd saw/bar setup that could handle trees in this larger size range? Note, I'm not usually felling the trees, but mostly working with them on the ground.

I should also mention that I'm willing to buy used and I don't mind paying a little more for a quality saw that will last. In fact, I would like to stick with the premium brands and stay away from the lite-duty/consumer models. In my experience, buying for better build quality/durability is always a good choice when it comes to tools/equipment.

sawguy21

Welcome. Have a look at the Stihl MS361/362 with a 20" bar, same displacement as your 041 but faster and lighter. If you go used there are a lot of different models of Husqvarna, Jonsered and Stihl in the 60-70cc range that would meet your needs.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DelawhereJoe

Are you going to be just felling and bucking the logs up or milling the logs up too ? Around where I live used pro saws even burn up ones go for outrageous prices it maybe worth your time and effort to just save up for a new saw. I also have an 041 and upgraded it to a 362 c-m its a great saw and I wish I would have upgraded sooner.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

lxskllr

I'll throw in with the 362 also. It'll wear a 25" bar competently for occasional use(I'd suggest a light bar), and do great with a 20". A step up would be the 462cm. Maybe firm up your expectations, then heft them in the shop to get an idea of you'd like to carry.

Magicman

I am loving my Stihl MS362 with the decompression valve.  Arthritis in my hands prompted me to make the switch from an older and still perfectly running MS310.  Both are 59cc saws but the Pro saw takes top honors.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

gspren

Since you are talking 32"+ oak I think you should go bigger if you are physically able to do so. I also have an 041 from new and when I also got the 044 there was a big difference in performance when doing the big stuff. Again if you are in shape to handle it get a 70-80 cc saw. JMHO 
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

mad murdock

Where are you located, matmar10? A good used prosas in the 440 -461 Stihl variety or my personal favs are orange saws, 372, 385, 390, 395 for husky, or even an older 181. All good choices.  If you are a little savvy on 2 strokes, you could even find an old McCulloch around for little coin, depending on your area. A Promac 700, SP81 etc would be both great choices. 
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

ehp

just me but if Im bucking 32 inch plus tree into firewood I would be looking at say the stihl 462 and get a 20 and 24 inch bar setup for it . Its very light with great power . Its not cheap but any good saw is not cheap

olcowhand

....Or see if you can get one of the remaining 461s. As the 462s are getting on the shelves, the Dealers are trying to move the 461s. Very capable for the Trees you're looking at, durable and Dealers are trying to move them (maybe ask for a discount or ask them to upgrade the Bar to an ES Light Bar....).
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

Magicman

A 20" bar will easily buck a 32"+ tree.  Saw down through one side and then move to the other side.  An MS362 is rated for a 25" bar.  The chain cutting toward the bark also avoids dirt and will prolong your chain life.

If sawing completely through is required or if that is your "normal" log size, then an MS462 might be my choice.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hedgerow

mattmar10
Welcome to the forum. I pickup a AV 41 at a estate sale years ago. It was a very good saw when a buddy of mine that helps me cut firewood bought acreage I give it to him and he is still using it today. I bought a 461 five years ago this month and its been a super saw with zero issues. They aren't cheap but good tools cost money. I have several saws but the 461 is my go to firewood cutting saw and we cut 15 to 20 cords a year. 

mattmar10

Thank you, all, for the recommendations. I'll start watching out for those models locally to see if anything comes up. In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and buy a 20" bar for my 41AV. I believe that should get me by for what I'm trying to do until I can find a companion for it.

luap

Whatever you get I would long and hard at getting a pro model rather than the consumer models. regular features like decompression buttons, captive bar nuts, adjustable oilers and other features make use easier and more productive.

Nebraska

I would go with the closest full service dealer that wants to give good service. I own ....a few examples of each brand but my best closest local dealer sells Dolmar my vote is a Dolmar 7900, but there isn't much difference to me with my 372xp, my first brand new saw ever was an 029 stihl with  a whole bunch of hours on it now. Those three brands will serve most of us well enough, I really think supporting a local is important especially  in a rural area like mine.

Cutter Q

I agree 100%with Nebraska's statement of go where you will get the best service. I have two dealers close to me. One husky and the other stihl. I love my husky, but it has starting issues lately and I don't not care for my husky mechanic at all. He is slow and in my opinion to lazy to investigate the real issue other than saying " oh it just needs an update because it's auto tune", well it still won't start when I need it most. But luckily I have a stihl 261c which is much more dependable.

Thank You Sponsors!